How many hours before changing piston on WR450

11 replies to this topic
  • AzXr628

Posted November 09, 2005 - 06:16 PM

I read that Yamaha said to change your piston around twenty hours,I have heard that riders are going over a 100hrs.Is there any rule to go by :applause:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:38 PM

500 hrs for most of us trail riders. :applause:

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 09, 2005 - 10:44 PM

More like a 1000 hours (atleast). You sure you are'nt thinking abouta CRF? :applause: :ride: :p

• SMD

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:50 AM

12k to 15k mile WR's are the norm in our group with no issues.
Keeps on tickin....... :applause:

• Matty05

Posted November 10, 2005 - 05:56 PM

20hrs??? It ain't no honda! :applause:

• Dodger

Posted November 11, 2005 - 07:41 AM

I read that Yamaha said to change your piston around twenty hours,I have heard that riders are going over a 100hrs.Is there any rule to go by :applause:

Still have yet to do one on my '01 426...............still has great compression :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • azdragoon

Posted November 11, 2005 - 09:32 AM

Do you guys change the piston when you start losing compression, or simply after so
many hours? I picked mine up used and have no idea how many hours are on the original piston.

• TX-SANDMAN

Posted November 11, 2005 - 04:30 PM

You guys should link this thread to the CRF thread to make them envious.

• ibleedblu

Posted November 11, 2005 - 04:48 PM

YA.. What they said... you wont put enough hours on that bike to cange the piston unless you ride like a scalded dog... :applause: :ride:

• 59xfish

Posted November 11, 2005 - 04:50 PM

I never heard of that. It just keeps on going and going and going!

• simon@vic

Posted November 11, 2005 - 05:45 PM

my wr has countless hours on it. and at least 50 000km on the org rings.......
I'm going to do the rings soon but not because it needs it...

my drz400 got over 80 000km on its first set of rings. i bet the WR could too.

i go through chains, sprockets, cables, and parts all to often. tires and oil all the time.
i never worry about the engine....... its the chassis that get hammered on, or i should say shows the ware.

• Matty05

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:38 PM

Do you guys change the piston when you start losing compression, or simply after so
many hours? I picked mine up used and have no idea how many hours are on the original piston.

If the piston is all right (almost always) just rings need to be changed.

But if you go to the trouble of tearing down the engine, why not throw in a hi comp vertex or wiseco piston?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.