Oil Change

15 replies to this topic
  • Zach0509

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:21 AM

I've got a problem... upon changing my oil last night, I took out the plug underneath the bike, then opened the oil replacement hole. After the bike stopped draining for a while, I changed out the oil filter. I put the drain plug back in, and refilled the bike and started it for 10 seconds. Then like any normal person I checked the dipstick... well, to my dismay, oil came pouring out of the dipstick hole? It was so much, that I decided just to start over and change the whole thing again, so I unplugged the drain plug again and let all the oil drain out. Okay, this is where my question comes in... after all the oil had drained out the bottom, the oil just kept pouring out of the top (where the dipstick is) when it did stop coming out, the oil level just stayed right on the rim... one would think that if there is an open hole in the bottom, the oil would go down, not up??? It seems like a phisical impossibility to me, any ideas, is there a way to ensure all the oil drains out of the top part as well? :applause:

• Bamster

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:34 AM

You have to drain the frame .There is a plug on the down tube of the frame. :applause:

• Zach0509

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:43 AM

I must have missed that part in the manual... I'm such a rookie!!!

Thanks for the help! :applause:

• byggd

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:43 AM

Also, even when the bike has the correct amount of oil you cannot start it with the dipstick out......the oil is being pumped up there at about 60 psi and will squirt out every time :applause:

• Johnny34

Posted November 09, 2005 - 09:05 AM

You have to drain the frame .There is a plug on the down tube of the frame. :ride:

Ditto... Go Bamster, Go :applause:

• clark4131

Posted November 09, 2005 - 11:33 AM

[COLOR=Red]DOH!!!! [/COLOR] :p :applause: :p :p :ride: :p :lol:

We were all rookies once, so live and learn. Kind of a funny story though...SC

• Zach0509

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:12 AM

Sorry for the newbie question, but I am really stumped!

Follow-up Questions:

I changed my oil again, draining both the frame (Bolt on lower front of bike... Right above the skid plate) and the main oil plug in the bottom. After draining the oil and refilling, I started the bike and ran it for about 5 minutes. Then I checked the oil level with the dipstick, and again, the oil came pouring out. Is this normal? Can you not check your oil levels if the bike is hot? I understand there is a pump that pushes the oil up into the frame, and perhaps it takes a while to go back down into the engine... hell, I don't know that's why I'm asking.

2nd Question: In the owners manual it shows 4 points you should drain... the frame, main plug, plug beneath the oil filter, and then a small one beside the main plug (looks like the lowes point on the engine). Because I couldn't get to that one very easily, I didn't open it... figuring that it's only a minimal amount of oil in there. Is it absolutely necessary to pop that little one too?

3rd & Final Question: I'm pretty confident I have enough oil (my cup runneth over) in my bike, I'm going out this Saturday. Will I damage my engine by having too much oil in it?

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:28 AM

and then a small one beside the main plug (looks like the lowes point on the engine). Because I couldn't get to that one very easily, I didn't open it... figuring that it's only a minimal amount of oil in there. Is it absolutely necessary to pop that little one too?

Zach, I've never drained that one....

The bike really needs to run for a bit to get an accurate reading on the oil level. After an oil change I pour in a quart of oil, then just a little bit more. When I don't clean the oil filter I'll put in an even quart, no more..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zach0509

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:40 AM

Thanks Dan,

But when the engine is hot, are you able to check your oil level through the dipstick? Or does it come rushing out of yours as well.

• JTWR450

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:52 AM

If the motor is HOT you can not check the oil level as it will come out the dipstick hole. On my 04 I dump the frame tube ( above the skid plate) and the main drain hole on the bottom of the motor. I know the manual says to change the screen and the other hole on the side. I have only opened up the side drain a few times to get the very bottom to drain. The screen is a ROYAL pain in the a$$ so I never have done it. I Have had the shop do it a couple of times only that when it gets stripped, it will, they can fix it. Most people on this forum don't deal with the screen as it is just a pain. Like was said above, 1 quart and a bit more for oil filter replacement. When you go to check the oil level let the bike idle for 3 minutes. Don't go ride it or give it a bunch of throttle either. This is a PASSIVE deal. let the bike warm up, shut it off and check the level. If you have oil coming out of the dipstick area after an oil change you most likely have too much oil in the bike. Too much oil can be just as bad as not enough. Although when overfilled the motor will spit out the excess. my .02

• J_DOGG

Posted November 10, 2005 - 11:05 AM

I do exactly what Dan does...

I also never check the screen, I tried once and said F that, I'll break it before I get it out....

No Filter change I replace 1qt only.
NEW filter 1.25 qts.

Not mentioned here but is the order you drain an issue?
I do the bottom plug first then the frame plug to avoid excess spill down the front of the bike.
Is this good or bad?

• Zach0509

Posted November 10, 2005 - 11:54 AM

order shouldn't matter, but if the oil isn't pretty warm, the frame drain takes for ever! I'll give it a shot tonight, if it still rushes out the dipstick hole, I'm just gonna ride the bitch. I'm confident with the amount of oil I have in the bike, so whatever... if it bleeds a bit of oil oh well.

Thanks guys

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 10, 2005 - 11:25 PM

Thanks Dan,

But when the engine is hot, are you able to check your oil level through the dipstick? Or does it come rushing out of yours as well.

Zach, I've never seen oil come out of the dipstick area, ever. I can check my oil level when the bike is hot. But since oil is kept in the cases and the front down tube of the frame the oil needs to travel all that ground to give an accurate reading. I'm curious as to why this is happening to you, maybe too much oil..

• ARin

Posted November 10, 2005 - 11:30 PM

when i bought my 450, the previous owner had WAY overfilled the oil...and the oil would come spurting out if i checked it while warm.

drain, re-fill with correct amount, problem solved.

• griffithds

Posted November 11, 2005 - 07:49 AM

I found in a autopart store a small squeeze plunger, ( it was designed to check your battery acid level) that had a piece of tubing that would fit into the dip stick hole. I removed the colored float that was inside so it now looks like a device you would use to baste a turkey. Just real small. I control the oil level on my dip stick using this device.You can add or remove oil a little at a time. Drip mess solved. Oil level always correct. I agree with everyone here that the changing of oil by the manual is a royal pain. Yamaha must of had 4 different engineers designing this bike and they each wanted a drain bolt for their area of responsibility. Horrorable design. :applause:

• Bamster

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:22 AM

I would start from scratch. Drain all the oil, check the screen and replace the filter. Fill with corect amount warm it up and check level.
I change my oil and clean the filter after 3 rides about 500 km's or after any hard ride.
I change the filter every 3 oil changes.
Check the screen once a year.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.