13-Tooth on an '05

31 replies to this topic
  • gmoss357

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:00 AM

14 50

Thanks rich, stock on the 250F is 13/52. I can run almost everything in 3rd gear except for steep hills, even tight single track turns from a slow almost stop. When racing I stay between 2nd and 3rd and when it opens up, 4th. This way I am in no fear of hitting neutral by accident. I just picked up a Moose 13 tooth for under $20 and it is heavier than the stock one that came off. I would think you would want to gear the bike where you can run 3rd most of the time, 2nd on hill climbs, and 4th, 5th when it opens up. What gears do most of you run in on the 450? Remember, 1 tooth on the front equals 3 to 4 on the back. What gears do you find yourself in most of the time now?

• rich1167

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:09 AM

between 2 and 3 a lot. I find the gears way to tall stock wise. I have no doubt that 5th would do 75 to 90 MPH or more. My plan is to start with a 13 front and go from their.

• gmoss357

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:13 AM

between 2 and 3 a lot. I find the gears way to tall stock wise. I have no doubt that 5th would do 75 to 90 MPH or more. My plan is to start with a 13 front and go from their.

That's cool. I just got my front replaced with a Moose, it was $14 + tax, nice unit. It will probably move your gearing up a gear easily and make 1st unnecessary.

• clark4131

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:22 AM

This might be a silly question but if chain slider wear is a concern why put on a smaller front sprocket......why not just put on a larger rear? Is there an advantage to going smaller in the front vs larger in the rear? :applause:

Though there is a concern with chain slider wear, there is also a concern with interference with the chain guide due to a larger rear sprocket. I have TM Designworks guide and the stock 50-tooth rear seems to be all that it will handle. The chain is already deflecting off the rear of the guide and I'm afraid a larger sprocket will cause it to bind. Furthermore, as stated before, the front sprocket is much easier to install, and the cost was $25 for an Ironman as opposed to $75 for the same quality rear. Ultimately, I'm going to get a new rear, probably a 48 or 49 as the 13/50 combo may prove to be too low...SC

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 16, 2005 - 06:39 AM

Steve, I change my counter sprockets back and forth with a 14 and a 15. The 14 is the stock sprocket and the 15 is a Renthal I have had for years. True, aftermarket sprockets don't have the shoulder on them like the OEM Yamaha's. I've had no problems with the shoulder-less Renthal.

Bamster, I have a 15t counter sprocket with 5 to 10 thousand miles on it. I've used it on three bikes...... Looks great......

• byggd

Posted November 16, 2005 - 07:06 AM

Thanks for all the good info all! :applause: My 426 has a 14/50 and I'm thinking of going to a 13 front myself when riding tight trails.

SC If you go to a 13 front and then a 48 or 49 in the rear won't you be back where you started? :ride:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 16, 2005 - 07:59 AM

SC If you go to a 13 front and then a 48 or 49 in the rear won't you be back where you started? :ride:

I think the ratio is like 3:1 teeth counter to rear

:applause:

• clark4131

Posted November 16, 2005 - 08:50 AM

SC If you go to a 13 front and then a 48 or 49 in the rear won't you be back where you started? :applause:

No, it will still be geared lower than stock, but dropping one or two teeth from the rear will fine tune it. I have more money than common sense, and I love to tinker with things, so I said to myself, "Self, why not?" Here's how the ratios break down:

14/50 = 3.571 (Stock)
13/50 = 3.846
13/49 = 3.769
13/48 = 3.692

So it would appear that a 13/49 might be the ideal setup in my opinion, but I'm just gonna play with it and see :ride: ...SC

• byggd

Posted November 16, 2005 - 11:52 AM

No, it will still be geared lower than stock, but dropping one or two teeth from the rear will fine tune it. I have more money than common sense, and I love to tinker with things, so I said to myself, "Self, why not?" Here's how the ratios break down:

14/50 = 3.571 (Stock)
13/50 = 3.846
13/49 = 3.769
13/48 = 3.692

So it would appear that a 13/49 might be the ideal setup in my opinion, but I'm just gonna play with it and see :ride: ...SC

Cool! I learn something new every day :p I usually just ride my bikes as is but since I found TT I have learned to mod and tweak my bike.....and spend lots of $$$ :applause:

• JETMAGNUM

Posted November 16, 2005 - 01:49 PM

Steve, I change my counter sprockets back and forth with a 14 and a 15. The 14 is the stock sprocket and the 15 is a Renthal I have had for years. True, aftermarket sprockets don't have the shoulder on them like the OEM Yamaha's. I've had no problems with the shoulder-less Renthal.

Bamster, I have a 15t counter sprocket with 5 to 10 thousand miles on it. I've used it on three bikes...... Looks great......

HOW DOES THE BIKE RUN WITH THE 15 IN THE FRONT???

DID YOU HAVE TO CHANGE CHAINS???

• clark4131

Posted November 21, 2005 - 06:59 PM

I was out yesterday on my favorite single track and the 13-tooth swap is great. There are a lot of trees across several portions, all in the neighborhood of 10-12" diameter, and I was having issues getting the front end up and over while carrying a little speed. That problem is history. I doubt I'll be going smaller on the rear as I'm really liking the new gearing effects. I can pitch it into a slide much easier with a quick throttle hit as well, making for quicker cornering. All in all, an easy, relatively cheap mod with good results :applause: ...SC

• rich1167

Posted November 21, 2005 - 07:23 PM

Cool, Mine just came in with some other goodies from the TT store.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.