YZ Exhaust on WR Gains?

41 replies to this topic
  • MathProf

Posted November 10, 2005 - 09:04 AM

I guess I have to wonder why all this power is needed by trail riders.

Some top pros are winning offroad with 125 & 200 2-smokes and few pros race big 4 strokes in woods events.

I am very experienced and win events frequently, I find it hard to use all the power in the woods.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 10, 2005 - 10:38 AM

how about when you need that quick blip and your bike just doesn't respond because its got a potato stuck up its a$$ :applause: its all good if your riding style is smoooth and easy(many races are won like that) but you yourself said you uncorck during competition :p and don't forget the fun factor of riding balls to the wall and knowing there is still plenty there,challenging you to use it. i'd much rather have too much than not enough! its all in the wrist :p......and even though i may be portly,my endurance and stamina is more than alot of the "in shape" people i ride with,and its not affected by having more power...if anything i can lob along at a leisure pace and still be faster than alot,then hammer it when needed :ride:

• Bamster

Posted November 10, 2005 - 02:53 PM

Some top pros are winning offroad with 125 & 200 2-smokes and few pros race big 4 strokes in woods events.
I am very experienced and win events frequently, I find it hard to use all the power in the woods.

Smart woods racers know that more power= less handeling
The lighter the bike the easier it is to ride.
The only reason I have a big bore is I thought I would need it for dual sporting and at 41 my racing days are behind me.
Next bike will most likley be an 05 KTM exc 200 or maybe 300.
I had the chance to ride the 300 a few weeks back and was amazed at how usable the power was. It felt electric.

how about when you need that quick blip and your bike just doesn't respond

Never have that problem
Posted Image

• ncmountainman

Posted November 10, 2005 - 03:43 PM

not to be a d-head but the 300 exc has more rated HP than my yz,and the same dry weight :ride: i've been on both of those bikes(200 & 300 exc) often enough to wonder where that 50+ hp is on that 300?(my buddy has one of each) i think the 200 may actually have more off the bottom,it could be the way they're set up. one thing i can tell you if you get the 300 a rekluse clutch really works well in it :applause: oh, and i'd say you had enough time to see that water comin' :p

• Punisher660

Posted November 10, 2005 - 05:13 PM

I guess I have to wonder why all this power is needed by trail riders.

I guess that kind says it. Most WR owners don't ride only trails. I still race motocross, desert, dunes, single track,trails, play ride, and might even dual sport it once in a while. If I had the $$$ to have one bike for each type of riding, then I guess my trail bike would be stock, but I don't and I doubt that many do. This means it needs all the power I can get. BTW, I did ride w/ a KTM 300XC last weekend and although he did keep up on the trails, he didn't have enough juice on the dunes, and wouldn't have done too well on the long, wide open fire roads. In the tight stuff, he did OK - but power is better
:applause:

• bg10459

Posted November 10, 2005 - 06:17 PM

Wow, this post has really degraded.

I like the YZ exhaust on my WR. performance definitely improved. My top end jetting went to crap after I installed it, so I spent a few hours jetting for the new pipe. I'm a fat a$$ (265 +) and not a great rider, but I love the extra power and I even use it from time to time, believe it or not. I know, because I go WOT on occasion, especially when I'm trying to get my fat a$$ up a gnarly hill or when racing my buds flat out on a straight away. My Husky WXE360 was definitely lighter, but I handle the WR as good or better, so so much for using the big bore power in tight eastern woods.

TARFELE, has your question been answered yet?

• ncmountainman

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:22 PM

well tarfele is in the process of buying a "Q2" ,i wouldn't do it unless i had to,but what the heck do i know :ride: hope it works for ya :applause:

• Bamster

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:27 PM

not to be a d-head but the 300 exc has more rated HP than my yz,and the same dry weight i've been on both of those bikes(200 & 300 exc) often enough to wonder where that 50+ hp is on that 300?

I was expecting the 300 exc to rip my arms off the first time I rode it and I didn't know it was rated for 50+ hp
It does not feel like a 50 hp MXer and it shouldn't. I do know that it is quiet.
After some time on it, I found you can easily lug the bike around in a higher gear than you would expect and then rev it out without having to shift.
The powerband is long and smooth. This is what I find ideal but I did find it lacked the blip you speak of but very forgiving in the tight stuff.
I guess it comes back to useable horsepower and if this is what you have found in in your Y-zed,good for you but you should keep it in the closed course hare scrambles.

• Bamster

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:34 PM

Wow, this post has really degraded.

This forum can be pretty dead and could use a little spicing up.
I love to be the devils advocate and debate any side of an argument.
If me and mountingman want to spar in syber space ,it our prerogative.
Lord knows he would kick my ass in real life.
I hope it's all in good fun because I do respect his knowledge of motorcycles and have bought tires (Maxxis SI) on his recommendations

• TARFELE

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:38 PM

Yes, my question was answered, I have just been sitting here with a bucket of popcorn waiting for a fight to break out.
Kind of Entertaining.
I MAY be buying the Q2 if it looks good in photos. I guess that is not a popular choice for some people but for the price ($150) is aint bad. I had an E-series on my 98 WR and a FMF Q on my 01 XR650. The E-Series was too loud for me nad the FMF added quite a bit of power. I cannot ride to this bikes ability so the only reason I want another pipe is weight and a better sound. Anything looks better than the factory 03 exhaust.

Thanks guys

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:55 PM

extra power can be useful, even if you arent an advanced rider....

power can do one of two things.

1. kill someone who doesnt use it wisely.
2. save someone who knows how and when to use it.

sometimes a little extra snap means the difference between clearing a downed log, and going over the bars.

• TARFELE

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:00 PM

AR is that and A2 in your Avatar photo?

• ARin

Posted November 10, 2005 - 11:28 PM

no, an a2 has a carry handle, among other things..

its an a3 (one of them) and i built it. :applause:

http://www.planetbla...ins/olivear.jpg

• Bamster

Posted November 11, 2005 - 05:11 AM

sometimes a little extra snap means the difference between clearing a downed log, and going over the bars.

Yes but a handful of throttle and abrupt power can send any rider into the trees still standing.

• Bamster

Posted November 11, 2005 - 05:19 AM

Yes, my question was answered, I have just been sitting here with a bucket of popcorn waiting for a fight to break out.

Sorry we highjacked the thread.

Kind of Entertaining.

The key word here is entertaining.

• TARFELE

Posted November 11, 2005 - 05:40 AM

An A2 has a removable carrying handle. And that is very nice

• bg10459

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:33 AM

Yes, my question was answered

Great then, let the games begin.

I'm pretty sure if you use that A3 to pop a few holes in the stock can it will out-perform and be lighter and quieter than all aftermarket exhausts, not to mention the costs savings. (100 .223 rounds @ $0.10 per round = $10, not bad, and lots of fun too). :applause:

• tcskibike

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:37 AM

My PMB baffle sucked!

• ARin

Posted November 11, 2005 - 10:52 PM

An A2 has a removable carrying handle.

no it doesnt.

if you have any other questions about ar15's, m16's/m4's....let me know. :applause:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 12, 2005 - 06:04 AM

I think the E2 and FMFs Q series pipes are a good compromise for power and sound. Neither pipe is obnoxiously loud and way better than the stock system. Yamaha might have fooled some people by a nice aluminum can but inside lays a system that really holds the beast back. There are better quiet systems out there than the stock unit.. Of course "IMO"

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.