YZ Exhaust on WR Gains?

41 replies to this topic
  • TARFELE

Posted November 09, 2005 - 05:30 AM

What will I gain from putting an 05 YZ exhaust on my 03 WR?

• ncmountainman

Posted November 09, 2005 - 05:40 AM

noise! no,i put my 05yz exhaust on a 04 wr and it rocks. just no spark arrestor,a couple companies make aftermarket add on SA's(pro-moto billet is one) :applause: its alot lighter and seems to improve power everywhere,sounds good too :ride:

• Bamster

Posted November 09, 2005 - 06:01 AM

http://dirtrider.net...c/118083-1.html

Read it.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 09, 2005 - 06:20 AM

"big man exhaust"? what a bunch of freakin' propaganda. i agree that the wide open 'redneck' aproach is wrong. but,less noise is less power i hate to tell ya :applause: a Q has considerably less power down low than a powercore4,even when i put in the quiet core(98)db,and rejet for it,my bottom end power goes straight down :ride: lets all shoot for 88db,if anyone has ever ridden a stock corked wr45o you tell me about all the power there oughta be a open season on freakin' tree huggers :p oh,they're gonna shut down the riding places you say? there will always be places to ride :lol: people just aren't happy without something to complain about! shoot,several times while hiking in nat. forest i've almost been run over by speeding mtn bikes. why? because they make no noise and go 30-40 mph,i wonder how many people get hit every year by these noiseless speed demons? at least people have time to get the heck out of the way when i'm coming thru :p

• TARFELE

Posted November 09, 2005 - 06:36 AM

My insert is gone on my bike and it runs at 101Db. What will the pro billet insert do for sound and for power?

• stonewall

Posted November 09, 2005 - 06:50 AM

"big man exhaust"? what a bunch of freakin' propaganda. i agree that the wide open 'redneck' aproach is wrong. but,less noise is less power i hate to tell ya :lol: a Q has considerably less power down low than a powercore4,even when i put in the quiet core(98)db,and rejet for it,my bottom end power goes straight down :p lets all shoot for 88db,if anyone has ever ridden a stock corked wr45o you tell me about all the power there oughta be a open season on freakin' tree huggers :lol: oh,they're gonna shut down the riding places you say? there will always be places to ride :p people just aren't happy without something to complain about! shoot,several times while hiking in nat. forest i've almost been run over by speeding mtn bikes. why? because they make no noise and go 30-40 mph,i wonder how many people get hit every year by these noiseless speed demons? at least people have time to get the heck out of the way when i'm coming thru :p

:applause: :ride: Yeah, what he said. :p :p :p

• Bamster

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:10 AM

There must be a lot of wide open spaces in NC to use all that power. :applause:
I ride a lot of tight single track and I find more power = less handling.
Too much bottom end beats the crap out of me in the tight stuff and leads to more mistakes.
I can hop on my friends WR 250 and ride faster than my big bore and I don't get as winded. You can not tell my that you can't hear a bike at 92-94 dB's comming at you in the bush with lots of time to get out of the way. You really don't need to it hear coming from 5 miles away. When tuning a bike I don't look for more power just more usable power.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:16 AM

There must be a lot of wide open spaces in NC to use all that power. :applause:
I ride a lot of tight single track and I find more power = less handling.
Too much bottom end beats the crap out of me in the tight stuff and leads to more mistakes.
I can hop on my friends WR 250 and ride faster than my big bore and I don't get as winded. You can not tell my that you can't hear a bike at 92-94 dB's comming at you in the bush with lots of time to get out of the way. You really don't need to it hear coming from 5 miles away. When tuning a bike I don't look for more power just more usable power.

i'm 6'4" 290 lbs and need all the dang power i can get in order to keep up with the normal sized folks. and yes i do use most all of that power,but have other ways to compensate for tight single track(rekluse clutch,offset clamps etc.) i beleive i read somewhere that for every 15lbs it soaks up a HP,so i run at up to a 10 HP defecit to start with! don't need no help from people like you :ride:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:18 AM

My insert is gone on my bike and it runs at 101Db. What will the pro billet insert do for sound and for power?

i think they make just a SA that doesn't quiet it down with any performance loss. the stock yz pipe is somewhere in that 101db range :applause: ouch,i just looked at PMB's website $125 for that endcap :ride:

• Bamster

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:32 AM

10 HP defecit to start with! don't need no help from people like you

Yes I'm the ideal 6 foot 170 pound weight. I'm sure if I was on a stock xr 250 I could hang with you in the tight stuff with at least a 15 hp defecit (after your math) and not even break a sweat. That would be embarrassing eh?
You should really go on a diet.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:40 AM

xr250? what are you smokin'?? well your probly right that i could stand to lose about 20 lbs,thats almost 1.5 hp :applause:

• Punisher660

Posted November 09, 2005 - 10:51 AM

I love when people run out of logical or intellectual comments how they start on the personal attacks. Why can't they stick to the subject? Yes we should all run a quiet exhause, but there are instances where it is not feasable or practicle and the added power from a free flowing exhaust is needed. Its great that you can beat 90% of the people on this forum with a XR250.....that being the case, YOU obviously don't need the exhaust and should stick to a stock system.

• vorra65

Posted November 09, 2005 - 11:04 AM

I love when people run out of logical or intellectual comments how they start on the personal attacks. Why can't they stick to the subject? Yes we should all run a quiet exhause, but there are instances where it is not feasable or practicle and the added power from a free flowing exhaust is needed. Its great that you can beat 90% of the people on this forum with a XR250.....that being the case, YOU obviously don't need the exhaust and should stick to a stock system.

Word-EH?
:applause:

• Bamster

Posted November 10, 2005 - 06:25 AM

I am just trying to get the point across that the power gain from a free flowing exhaust is not needed in 95% of most trail conditions. I can see where someone who races in the desert would use the power but in technical eastern single track it is more of a hindrance than an advantage. I'm sure that a rider of equal ability on XR would be able to hang with me on a loud WR with less fatigue.
Sorry you took that as a personal attack but more and more organized trail riding events are being shut down for noise issues. Our club has taken it upon itself to purchase a sound meter and test all bikes entering an event.
More sound = less ground.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 10, 2005 - 06:37 AM

bamster, you wouldn't hang with me on a xr250 unless it was tied to my subframe. thats all i ride is tight technical stuff,and the only "events" i run are closed course harescrambles,not any fairy poker runs. some day the AMA will lower the db limit but until then i just won't play poker!

no fairies were harmed during the making of this post,and no offense intended to anyone but but my canuck buddy,bamster :applause:

• MathProf

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:22 AM

NCmountainamn is right on.

On a WR: Noise = Power

Offroad: I don't need the huge power that I get when I pull the Quiet Core on the Powercore 4. There is no reason anyone needs that much power trail riding.

Racing: When I run race gas and no Quietcore, I get exhausted trying to hold on for a 2 hour Hare Scrambles. The power is HUGE right off idle.

I'm getting a 06 YZ 250 for racing next year. I can't race wideopen for two hours on my WR 450, but the WR will be my trail bike.

• ncmountainman

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:24 AM

just a tidbit of info for everyone,the wr 450 does have alot of snap off the bottom,some might even say too much.....but,the 05 yz450 (which has less snap off bottom)when set up with 13/52 and a rekluse clutch(that makes the 4spd an absolute dream),and all the other bottom smoothing enhancements; +6 fw,powernow,powerbomb header w/powercore4,quickshot,icat.considering the faster primary gear that eliminates a boatload of engine braking,a little offset change along with many suspension tricks that i won't go into. all this coupled to the ground by maxxis SI's = one smooth a$$ offroad machine. :applause: :ride: to each his own :p oh ya, i didn't mention the bike only weighs 238 lbs wet w/out gas :p

• Bamster

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:30 AM

you wouldn't hang with me on a xr250

"if I lost 50 pounds."
Is that what you ment to say?

no faties were harmed during the making of this post

• Punisher660

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:37 AM

For people like MathProf, Bamster,the feather-weights, or the in-experienced, the WR does in fact have plenty of power. But there are some that can use and need more power. Some of us have either the mass or the experience to throw a 500cc 2-smoker around like a kids toy - These are the same people that need a piped WR. We have gotten rid of our non eco friendly KX and CR 500s and moved to a more "green" machine, but until they offer more models, we are stuck trying to get the most out of our machines that we have. If the db level is legal in your area, whats the problem? :applause:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 10, 2005 - 08:40 AM

For people like MathProf, the feather-weights, or the in-experianced, the WR does in fact have plenty of power. But there are some that can use and need more power. Some of us have either the mass or the experiance to throw a 500cc 2-smoker around like a kids toy - These are the same people that need a piped WR. We have gotten rid of our non eco friendly KX and CR 500s and moved to a more "green" machine, but until they offer more models, we are stuck trying to get the most out of our machines that we have. If the db level is legal in your area, whats the problem? :applause:

exactly :ride:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.