Little help please.....

18 replies to this topic
  • black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 08, 2005 - 08:54 PM

My buddy just called me and told me he was changing the oil on his 04 WR 450 and broke off the oil drain bolt in the frame. He said it didnt break off flush with the frame, its a little inset. It is the one up in the frame, not the bottom one. Whats the best way to get the rest of the bolt out of there? Thanks in advance. :applause:

• RMarkus

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:13 PM

Something I can actually answer. Easy outs would work well. You drill a hole in the existing bolt thats left, stick one in and spin it out. In this application I wouldn't drill through the bolt all the way, you obviously don't want metal shavings anywhere in the frame. He can get them at Sears.

Since the head is gone, there shouldn't be anything making it "stick" in the hole. He may be able to drill it out a little and work it out with an old bit by kind of wedging it in and turning the screw back out. It may not be worth it if he gets the easy out though, you can only drill so many holes in the bolt (you don't want to go too big for the easy out to work) before you have to figure something else out. :applause:

• NavyNuke

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:17 PM

go to sears, and they have some left handed drill bit type things that work very well. you will want the smaller set. Each one is listed for a metric size bolt. used this on my sidekick a couple of times, it pulls the bolt out without drilling all the way through, so you don't even have to try and get metal shavings out of the oil sump

part #00952155000
link
http://www.sears.com...pid=00952155000

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:04 AM

Thanks guys, I actually already have the easy outs. I just wanted to make sure that was best. I will give it a try and see if we cant help him out. :applause:

• Bamster

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:13 AM

Tell him not to tighten them so much too.

• tshe1

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:32 AM

if it's notlevel with the frame and you have a Little space, you can make groove withe saw and screw it out with screwdriver

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 09, 2005 - 10:30 PM

Well it was broke off pretty far inside. I started to drill it, and it just spun right inside and fell into the frame. I took out the screen filter, stuck a magnet up there and pulled it out. Took about 5 minutes. I guess he got lucky.

Tell him not to tighten them so much too.

This is pretty funny. He thought he was loosening it. He had a ratchet on there and kept trying and trying then, snap, it broke. Oh well, it was easy enough to fix. Its not like I've never done anything really stupid before. :applause:

• ARin

Posted November 09, 2005 - 10:40 PM

glad to know it got taken care of.

• ReDnEcK250

Posted November 10, 2005 - 12:05 AM

Maby this could have worked in this case but i have done this be for with other bolts and what not. I weld a bolt or some type of rod to it and put vise grips on it and turn it out. DO NOT GET HAPPY WITH THE WELDING!! just a good tack weld. Glad to hear you got it out :applause:
PS. make sure that its metal not aluminum that requires different setup.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dbailey223

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:49 AM

I broke the same bolt and posted about it a couple weeks ago trying to torque it to the specs in the book. Luckily, I could still get it out because the head did not break off all the way from the bolt.

• foots

Posted November 10, 2005 - 09:38 AM

This is pretty funny. He thought he was loosening it. He had a ratchet on there and kept trying and trying then, snap, it broke. Oh well, it was easy enough to fix. Its not like I've never done anything really stupid before. :applause:

Tell him lefty loosey...right tighty :ride:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 10, 2005 - 10:52 PM

Tell him lefty loosey...right tighty

That is so funny. I will tell him, he has a great sence of humor. He usually does pretty good with tools, musta just had a brain fart. I love when someone else makes a boneheaded mistake, its lets me know I'm not the only one. Thanks again for all of your suggestions. I love this place. :applause:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 10, 2005 - 11:33 PM

Glad to see it all got worked out...

I've learned my lesson on tightening bolts with t-handles, I snug them up just a little bit now.. Easyouts almost never work... I think I've broken every easyout I've ever bought.. I like the left hand drill bits. I've got to get me some...

• ARin

Posted November 10, 2005 - 11:39 PM

It is terribly easy to overtorque using t handle drivers....they are MUCH more powerful than you realize.

and i have had the same piss poor luck with easyouts...thank goodness for no-questions-asked Sears warrantee.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 11, 2005 - 09:33 PM

Whew, I thought I was the only one who had bad luck with those easy outs. I have a set of 5, 3 of which are broken. :applause: :p :p :ride: :lol:

• Gadsen

Posted November 11, 2005 - 10:15 PM

Whoa, if you try to drill it for an easy out, the bit could bite in and screw the end into the oil tank. Get the set of left handed bits to drill (Sears sells them also). If your lucky, the bit will bit in, and unscrew it right out.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 12, 2005 - 07:48 PM

Whoa, if you try to drill it for an easy out, the bit could bite in and screw the end into the oil tank.

Thats actually what happened. I just took out the screen filter and put a magnet up there and out she came. Actually worked out pretty good. :applause:

• Gadsen

Posted November 13, 2005 - 06:16 PM

Thats actually what happened. I just took out the screen filter and put a magnet up there and out she came. Actually worked out pretty good. :applause:

Cool, I was worried about it going into an area where it would not be retrievable. Glad it all worked out OK! :ride:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 13, 2005 - 09:19 PM

Cool, I was worried about it going into an area where it would not be retrievable. Glad it all worked out OK!

That makes 3 of us. Thanks for the tip though, as I had not thought of that happening until it did. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.