need help on bike selection

65 replies to this topic
  • metalm0

Posted November 09, 2005 - 06:26 PM

So if I get the 97 xr600r should i get a 10 paddle? I would mainly jsut be driving not really turning that much. Id rather go fast than have to slow down and turn to spray some roost lol. Would I be fine down there with the big bike since I am only a newbie to sand? Thanks.

• BWB63

Posted November 09, 2005 - 06:33 PM

Two big things to keep in mind riding sand, without a paddle; look way out in front, not down close to the front tire. That will keep your head up and not fighting the front tire. Get your weight way back or and the third most important.....lots of throttle! In the sand with a paddle it's more like water and a boat....you first have to plain out....get on top of the sand, you don't have to be as far back as you do without a paddle, lots of steady power till you start moving, then you'll be fine. Takes about 20 minute and you will be having a blast! 8~10 paddle AMS Sand Snake. The XR6 would do better with a 8 paddle if you are going to drag. Just shift sooner so, you don't over rev.

• metalm0

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:20 PM

So basically keep your weight back and have the throttle pinned. Does a paddle work well compared to a normal tire? Is it worth the money?

• metalm0

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:23 PM

Here is a link of the 1997 XR600r. What do you think it is worth? I apologize for asking so many questions.

http://www.salinasmc...66R0&veh=214631

• metalm0

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:19 PM

What do you think this bike is worth?

• BWB63

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:23 PM

So basically keep your weight back and have the throttle pinned. Does a paddle work well compared to a normal tire? Is it worth the money?

Two different wolds........you can ride with a normal tire, you fly on top of the sand with a paddle. Like I said, it turns the sand into water and you are riding on it. You don't have to keep it pinned (well power freaks do) but, you have to keep it on till you plain out, or is that plane......One of those thing you just have to do. Chen Chin is about $40 or less for an 8 or 10 paddle, there are very few bikes that the 560 10 paddle will fit on. Mine is modified, I would not use it on a XR6. It rips the wiring, mud guard and the fender to pieces. I don't run a stock fender anymore.

560 Chen chin
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I bought the AMS Sand Snake at http://www.rockymountainatv.com/

• metalm0

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:29 PM

Is the AMS Sand Snake at 8 paddles a really good tire? Also I see that you were jumping, now is that easy to land or how does that go?

• internetguy

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:36 PM

I have an XR600 and it's not so much the weight I notice, it's the height. I'm 5-10 and when you're standing, starting, getting on/off etc, the thing is a skyscraper and at 5-6 you're going to have your hands full from time to time.

Kick starting a XR600 will require technique and/or props at your height.

Once you're moving though, neither the weight or height is much of an issue, IMO. Super fun machine and dirt cheap. If you can swing a 650, get the 650. If funding is an issue, get the 600.

Hope this helps-

Cheers-

Neil.

• BWB63

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:37 PM

What do you think this bike is worth?

Nice looking bike.....to bad it doesn't have a license plate. I don't see a lot of case wear or frame wear. I haven't been in the market for an XR6 for years.....Start a thread that the XR6 guys will jump in on....my price would be toooo low and tick some of the XR6 guys off.....like $1,800~2,200 but, there are some that wouldn't sell there for less then $3,400! You can find great used XR650R's for that every now and then! $1,800 would be high for me without the plate, if it had a plate I would pay more then that for my 15 1/2 Son to ride to school with his permit.

• BWB63

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:42 PM

Is the AMS Sand Snake at 8 paddles a really good tire? Also I see that you were jumping, now is that easy to land or how does that go?

Start out an inch at a time, all ways leave the ground under power (don't let off) and as you land pull the throttle. Land on the back tire. If you can jump 5' you'll be jump'n 20' then more in no time. If you lose it, no big it's sand..... :ride:

I missed the 5'6" ??? How tall are you and how much do you weigh? This is a big bike. Not that you can't handle it....My son is smaller then that. It's just hard in the sand to throw around. With gas it's over 310 pounds! Picking it up is no easy thing. You will make it work I did for years.....and years...and years...wait that makes me old :applause: Got my First XL125 in 1974, XR500 in 82' XR600 in 85, one in 94, (and tons of two smokes in between), they are heavy if you have riden/raced other bikes but, if that is all you ride you will make it work.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • metalm0

Posted November 09, 2005 - 08:45 PM

Ya well you think that if I trade in my 02 yz 125 for that, i wouldnt have to pay a dime at all? I dnt have much money to spend extra on that bike.

• metalm0

Posted November 09, 2005 - 09:03 PM

I weigh about 150 and I am around 5 foot 6 or about 5 7 inches tall. I am 15 yrs old soon to be 15 1/2. I have raced since I was young and unfortunately broke my elbow on my YZ80. After I moved up to where I raced my YZ 125 and then it blew up and I decided to quit racing cuz the money issue and getting hurt. I jsut want a powerful bike that well around here anyways can beat other peoples bikes and can last a long time on gas. Trails and sand are basicallty gonig to be once a year rides.

• metalm0

Posted November 09, 2005 - 09:06 PM

Meant to put 5 foot 6 or 5 foot 7 inches.*

• metalm0

Posted November 09, 2005 - 09:45 PM

Anyone there?

• BWB63

Posted November 10, 2005 - 05:23 AM

Sorry to just leave but, had to go to bed, to get up and go to work.

• internetguy

Posted November 10, 2005 - 06:57 AM

I looked at a lot of XR600's before I bought mine and I agree with BWB on the price for an '96 XR600 being somewhere in the $1,800 - $2,200 range.

The price depends of course on the condition of the bike, trick parts installed, how motivated the seller is, time of year, and your negotiating ability. Nothing works better than cash during negotiation. A cash deal in November is a good starting position for a bike purchase even in California.

Recommend you sell your YZ first and then bring cash to the dealer. Kelly Blue Book says $1700 for trade in, $2500 for outright sale. Not everyone believes in KBB accuracy, and it depends somewhat on your area code (I used Salinas). This puts you in the right range for a straight across trade but the dealer will likely try to get more margin.

Offer $1,700 and tell him everyone is buying a 650 now, that his XR is a ten year old bike and it's not getting any younger. Don't mention your YZ just then, negotiate that separately if you're going to trade it. Bring your dad, big brother or large friend with you for moral support and guidance.

Hope this helps- keep us posted.

Cheers-

Neil.

• metalm0

Posted November 10, 2005 - 07:15 AM

Ok thank you. I am going in next week on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday to negotiate that bike. SO basically I just chew them down until I get the price low enough where all I do is swap bikes?

• BWB63

Posted November 10, 2005 - 02:04 PM

Ok thank you. I am going in next week on Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday to negotiate that bike. SO basically I just chew them down until I get the price low enough where all I do is swap bikes?

I agree with Neal. Bring backup. But, remember there is no presure on you to buy this bike or any other. The only presure is you wanting it. All the presure is on the salesman! He is the one trying to make a pay check. It's a 97' and in good shape. You might get one as low as $1,400 in the bike trader. Look there and know the prices of bikes in your area. It's only a dallor! I always pick one up even before I get a new bike to see what the lowest price a bike is going for. Neal, was right offer something low.....$1,400~1,500 and don't blink at anything he says......walk out if you have to. Don't go in any room...they will just let you sit there for a while. If they take you in a room to make a deal and they get up and go out, so do you. I have bought lots of bikes. I buy them right now at John Burr and it only takes a half hour from when I walk in to when the bike is loaded...no BS. They know, I know what I am going to pay and that I am there, to buy a bike. They actualy ask if I can use a new helmet to go with the color of my new ST1300, I got two, 2 pair gloves, two jackets and it was still cheaper then L.A. Honda!

Posted Image

• metalm0

Posted November 10, 2005 - 02:09 PM

Ok so basically if he doesnt give me the price within reason just basically walk out. That is true about wanting the bike and about the dealers how they r tryin to sell it now try to keep it away from me. Thank you.

• metalm0

Posted November 10, 2005 - 04:49 PM

Now I am about to call them either tonight or 2morrow to just see what their starting price is because I dnt wanna drive an hour and a half over there jus for nothig. Well BWB63, youve seen the bike. How much do you think I can chew these guys down to and how much money do you think they offer where i shouldnt even try to go over there and work with them? Thanks.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.