XRL questions

12 replies to this topic
  • neilking

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:57 PM

I'm interested in a XRL. Are there different foot pegs available? The stock pegs are up too high and too far forward for me. The rear shock seems pretty stiff for dirt riding, will I need to replace the spring? Do those wings on the gas tank serve any purpose, or can you ger rid of them? Can this bike be made to be really dirt worthy or will it cost too much, and be too heavy, clumbersome, and slow? I ride a WR400 now, and would like a second bike that I can ride on the street some. I am considering dualsporting my WR, but I don't want to change the gearing or keep the motor wound out for extended periods of time. Thanks for your time in advance,
Neil King

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 08, 2005 - 06:24 PM

Well, the xr will never be as fast as the wr in the dirt......its what, 350 pounds vs 270? i have my spring set half way down, 190 pounds. if you get an ims or clarke tank, that will solve the small tank and fins problem, and yes, they do serve a purpose. the fins direct good air flow over the engine, the clarke/ims tanks have a similar shape as the fins so they act the same but not quite as efficient. you will need a new pipe $400, bars $150, tail light $40, maybe gearing?, and maybe footpegs $100. the xr will be quite a bit slower and harder to throw around in the dirt but it will perform way better on the street.

• Hayden

Posted November 08, 2005 - 06:59 PM

Its all about how good a rider you are. The XR will more than go anywhere you want. I bought mine just for Moab UT and love it. It is a hill climbing beast. The WR is not meant for the street. It just doesnt hold enough oil for the job. Unless your jaunts are short and sweet. The XR on the other hand will drone all day on the street and not complain.
I put a Clarke 4.7 gal tank and a smaller tail light on and it works great in the dirt. Of course go with different sprockets. This bike will do anything if your willing to hang on. I have a friend that rides a BMW 650 Dakar and he can do anything I can do on my XRL. The Dakar is a 100lbs heavier. Its all about skill dude, he has proved that to me many a time.

Hayden

• XRsteve

Posted November 08, 2005 - 08:26 PM

Keep the WR400 and buy a XRL! I was in the same position as you not long ago. I already had a XR400, and was considering dual-sporting that. Instead, I bought a XR650L. I'm glad I did. It is so much better on the street than my 400 could ever be. I can ride my 650 on the road year round, but I don't spend too much time off-road once it gets wet.(tires suck!) I took it on singletrack a few times when it was dry. It did fine, but I can go way faster on my 400. As far as mods go, I don't think anybody makes pegs in a different position, but pegs for the XR400 fit. The shrouds on the fuel tank are for cooling, but an aftermarket tank doesn't use them. The suspension is a little on the stiff side, but is pretty plush for the street. It is also fairly adjustable, especially in the rear. I managed to find a pretty decent setting for mine. Just remember to bring a screwdriver to adjust the front when you hit the trails. It does take some getting used to compared to a smaller bike, but it is really fun to ride, on or off-road.

• roadcam

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:59 AM

of all the suggested XR650L mods, the most important ones are the ones referred to as "uncorking" ... simply put, the bike's fuel mixture is alarmingly 'lean' when new ... the uncorking process not only makes the bike perform 100% better, the engine runs much cooler, eliminating any need for those 'airscoops' on the tank ... and, better tires are mandated .. dual-sport tires such as DUNLOP 606, or Kenda K270 for a cheaper dual sport tire works well .. :applause:

• neilking

Posted November 12, 2005 - 09:25 AM

Thanks, for the comments. The XRL is a pretty tall bike (thats good), but the foot pegs seem to be way too high and too far forward, but then again I've never ridden one, just sat on one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • goblin127

Posted November 12, 2005 - 09:34 AM

Aftermarket pegs are a good addition. I put a pair of tusk on that are great also diff handlebars of your choise not hondas. Alot of people favor the cr high bend.

• Razta

Posted November 13, 2005 - 08:50 PM

I go anywhere my friend goes on his YZ426. My 650L keeps up with him without a sweat. Mine is just not as loud. =)

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 13, 2005 - 09:02 PM

I go anywhere my friend goes on his YZ426. My 650L keeps up with him without a sweat. Mine is just not as loud. =)

haha, my bike is louder than any 426 could ever be. on a straight drag in the dirt against my cuz on his drz400, i kept right along side him and pulled ahead when i hit about 50 (when my rear tire quit spinning.....50/50's aernt the best for acceleration in dirt) if i had a knobby, i would have been outta sight. I do however have to work pretty hard to keep up with him on the tight trails. we both have yoshimura pipes but mine is way way louder.

• zackm58941

Posted November 14, 2005 - 03:28 PM

haha, my bike is louder than any 426 could ever be. on a straight drag in the dirt against my cuz on his drz400, i kept right along side him and pulled ahead when i hit about 50 (when my rear tire quit spinning.....50/50's aernt the best for acceleration in dirt) if i had a knobby, i would have been outta sight. I do however have to work pretty hard to keep up with him on the tight trails. we both have yoshimura pipes but mine is way way louder.

louder=faster right yamaha?

• justicedone

Posted November 14, 2005 - 07:02 PM

I thought more chrome made you faster ???

&%$#@! ??

• Hayden

Posted November 14, 2005 - 07:10 PM

900 miles on the XRL this weekend in Arkansas. God what a blast. Camped on White Rock Mountain for a night and then 2 nights on the Buffalo River(Ponca). Its just that Dam 400 mile stretch home on Sunday. No complaints from the bike at all. 75 mph for 7 hrs home. Had some very surprised sport bike riders when they couldnt shake the dirt bike guy in the twisties in AR :applause: I had a good laugh :ride:

Hayden

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 14, 2005 - 07:36 PM

louder=faster right yamaha?

not really....may add a little power but not to much. i just love that thump thump thump.......the stock pipe is just to quiet.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.