06 Wr450 Info ?

5 replies to this topic
  • JCORMI

Posted November 08, 2005 - 01:45 PM

I am going to be moving up to a new ride soon, I am coming off a DRZ 400, I,m 6'2" tall weigh 175, and consider myself a pretty decent rider. I am majorly frustrated on what I want to buy though. I have narrowed it down to an 06 wr450 or a KTM 450exc. I have probably read 300 posts about these two bikes, I here people say the WR is reliable but it's top heavy and doesn't turn well. Then I read that the KTM is a " maintenance nightmare" , one thing about the KTM I like is how easy the valves are to adjust, no shim under bucket.
Does any one know what changes have been made to the WR, I think most of the negatives I was reading were about 04 and earlier.
Any comments positive or negative will be appreciated.

• gmoss357

Posted November 08, 2005 - 01:59 PM

go look at one, the 06 looks and feels smaller than my 03 250. They have made changes, the starter has been moved to behind the motor, as well as susp upgrades. I have never been able to get used to the linkless rear of the KTM. I wouldn't worry about valves, you probably won't be shimming them any time soon.

• tony1970

Posted November 08, 2005 - 02:00 PM

Buy one, I love mine. No problems, just some work to get the full potential of the bike. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • squirrel1

Posted November 08, 2005 - 02:58 PM

2004 and up WRs are less top heavy than prior models, but are still slightly top heavy compared to the KTM.

KTMs are not maintenance nightmares, that would be in reference to a Honda CRF (250 or 450cc).

KTM 450exc valves are simple as hell to adjust, and need adjustment as often as a WR's (once a year or once every couple years).

I would go with a KTM.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 09, 2005 - 05:55 AM

2004 and up WRs are less top heavy than prior models, but are still slightly top heavy compared to the KTM.

You mean 2005 and up... Right?

• squirrel1

Posted November 09, 2005 - 03:27 PM

I stand corrected.

You are correct sir, the WRs did get lowered in 2005.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.