Why is Kelley Blue Book so low?

15 replies to this topic
  • nothingleft

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:21 AM

I have been considering buying a 05 WR450 used, but the bikes I have seen for sale are priced much higher than what Kelley Blue Book says is the price I should expect to see for DEALER RETAIL. See below. If you look at trade-in value it is really bad, like 3500. I have found a guy very close to me with a used 05 (110 miles) and he is asking 5900 because it is licensed for street. What should I pay for a low mile 05? Also, if the bike is licensed for street, doesn't that mean I would pay more for insurance and DMV fees every year versus just buying the OHV tag for an unlicensed bike?

" November 8, 2005
2005 Yamaha WR450F
1-Cylinder
4-Stroke
449cc

Suggested Retail Value $4890

The Kelley Blue Book Suggested Retail Value is representative of dealers' asking prices and is the starting point for negotiation between a consumer and a dealer. This Suggested Retail Value assumes that the unit has been fully reconditioned and is in excellent condition. Mileage/condition and additional equipment may have a substantial impact on the value shown above. This value also takes into account the dealers' profit, costs for advertising, sales commissions and other costs of doing business. The final sale price will likely be less depending on the unit's actual condition, popularity, type of warranty offered and local market conditions."

• Zach0509

Posted November 08, 2005 - 10:31 AM

Because the WR450F Kicks ass, and it's all based on supply and demand. These 4 thumpers don't depreciate as fast as two-strokes. You can probably pick up an nice '03 for $3500 - $4,000 if that's your price range.

• J_DOGG

Posted November 08, 2005 - 10:38 AM

They don't account for DEMAND.

110 miles???? what did he do, drive it to the gas station, get scared and go home and park it? smells fishy?

The only extra cost to you would be dependant on your state. If you need insurance to register something for the road, car, truck, bike what ever then YES.
In NH you don't need insurance to register something for the street so my bike (paid in cash) is street legal for the cost of registering it and getting a plate and street inspection sticker. I still have the ORV registration as the trails require that and the street stuff is basically null in void once you hit the trails. I was actually told the ORV fee you pay is for trail use not so the state can make money off your dirt bike. Like they do with cars and stuff, the newer it is the higher you pay, ORV stuff is the same price no matter what year it is, in NH anyway.

• J_DOGG

Posted November 08, 2005 - 10:42 AM

Not the same year but I paid $5800 OTD for my 04 WR450 brand new off the showroom floor right when it came out.

• nothingleft

Posted November 08, 2005 - 11:06 AM

I read here that the 04 is red sticker and the 05 is green sticker. Being in CA, that sticker really matters around here. I guess that means I am looking at either the 05 used or the 06 off the floor. So what would be a good price for a great condition 05? Also, are there any major differences between the 05 and 06 that would make one more desirable than the other?

Sorry, for all of the newbie questions.....Just want to make sure I get the right setup since I plan on keeping it for awhile. TIA

• ovrrdrive

Posted November 08, 2005 - 11:08 AM

Just reread your post and saw I missed the point.

Yes a tag adds a grand to the price. It's almost impossible to get one licensed anymore...

• BajaFool

Posted November 08, 2005 - 11:16 AM

Nothingleft,
Supply and demand. In Oct. I sold a 2003 WR450F, basically stock, except for the Starter System upgrade for $4,000. That was $100-200 under retail Kelly Blue Book. I wanted to sell the bike, not watch it aging in the Cycle Trader. I thought my asking price was fair and the first interested party that answered the ad forced money into my hand and took the bike. By definition, that was what that particular 2003 WR450F was worth on that day.

I think that $5,900 is high for a 2005 that is dual sported, but, we are back to supply and demand again. When you consider that the bike is, yes let's call a spade a spade, incorrectly registered in California and yes you should have insurance on it, if you are going to ride it on public roads. Your DMV fees will be more expensive than just a green/red stickered bike. I would not pay that price. Try a little horse trading, the worst that the seller can say is $xxxx is the price.:banghead:

• WR450F_RDR

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:49 PM

You have to remember motorcycles are like some old cars and trucks, the Kelly Blue book shows the wholesale and retail prices pretty low but what you pay on the street is another story. It is all about Market Value ie... what are people willing to pay for it. That is why you need to pay cash for used motorcycles and older classic or sought after vehicles because the bank wont loan you squat on them based on the Blue Book value.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rich1167

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:16 PM

I just paid $5000 for a bone stock 05 wr450 with 50 miles on it and feel I got a good deal. I think the plate issue depends on if it is worth the extra $ to the buyer. I understand that it would be more diffcult to regester these bikes in CA. I think all I would need to do in CO is sign a paper saying that I made the necessary changes and they would give me plates. Try a search on E-bay. I think I seen a 2 for sale on their today. 1 was street legal.

• ncampion

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:19 PM

Where is this bike??? I would gladly pay that much for on 05' WR with a valid Calif. plate.

• rich1167

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:23 PM

I just checked. Their is one listed on E-Bay street legal east bay CA. Buy it now 5999. Or submit best offer.

• ncampion

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:31 PM

Where is this bike??? I would gladly pay that much for a good 05' WR with a valid Calif. plate.

• moach1

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:27 PM

the california plate adds 750.00-1000.00

• patrickincc

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:39 PM

I have an 05 for 5500.00,a and it prob has maybe 200 miles on it. There is nothing fishy about this one, I just prefer something lighter and more moto crossish. I just got a 2005 yzf 250. If your interested I might come down a little, but not much. :applause:

• nothingleft

Posted November 09, 2005 - 09:27 AM

The bike is in Walnut Creek, CA (Nor Cal) and it is only about 5 miles from my house. His ad is posted in the classifieds section on this site. I am considering going to look at it, but I kind of want to wait to get a bike right around Christmas. I am buying my 5 yr old son his first bike as a surprise this Christmas and if he sees me with a bike in the garage I think it will ruin the surprise.

• nothingleft

Posted November 09, 2005 - 09:30 AM

Where are you located in Califronia? I am in the Walnut Creek area of Nor Cal. Is the bike stock or modified? What is the condition?

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.