450 Valve Maintenance

4 replies to this topic
  • Shorte01

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:02 AM

So I finally did it. After having my bike for about a year and a half, I finally had someone take a look at the valves. I know, I know, I probably waited way too long :banghead: And I figured I would take it back to the shop where I bought it, I consider myself somewhat mechanically inclined, but with little to no experience on motorcycles, so I figured I would fork out the money to have it done right the first time. When I went to pick it up, I was anxious to see what they found. 4 out of the 5 valves were still dead on, and one exhaust valve needed just one shim to bring it back to specs :banghead: I was stoked, and once again I know why I ride Yamaha, what a great bike!!

• xtreme165

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:18 AM

3 yrs on my 2003 450 and the valves are still spot on. I had a 2002 CRF 450 and in 1 yr 3 set of valves :banghead: . I to now know why I have a 2006 YZF ordered and my 2003 will get trellborgs/spiked winter studs on it and will be my winter bike. Honda will never see another bit of my money going towards one of there CRF's. I understand maitance but 3 sets in 1yr is a bit much. Plus I own 2 tracks and see CRF's being push started all the time as the valves go.
www.switchbackmx.com
www.highvoltagemxpark.com

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2005 - 12:47 PM

3 yrs on my 2003 450 and the valves are still spot on.

Same story here. :banghead: But no matter how often I hear it, it still amazes me. My sundial gives me more trouble.

• XT2YZ

Posted November 08, 2005 - 12:56 PM

My sundial gives me more trouble.

:banghead: I hope you won't mind if I use that some time.

• jeffjoy

Posted November 12, 2005 - 02:08 PM

Has anuone heard of a wr 450 needing top end replacement every 8-10 hours? My bike shop is stating this is how frequently riders must expect to change tope end components in order to keep the wr's running. Are they just performing a dineroectomy on my wallet. My 03 does clang and has gotten worse since buying it new. Any help out there?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.