Baja 1000 race: who, from the Forum on what, what?

64 replies to this topic
  • BWB63

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:12 PM

So, who is all racing?
On who's bike and how is it setup?
Under who's name?
What is it all costing you?
How many hours have you put into pre-running just for this race?
Now that it is getting close, what are you missing?
What pits, bought or your own?
Tires?
Suspension for more then one rider of different weights?
Were are you staying? More then one camp?
Radios, cell phone or sat phone?
Are you taking your woman? You think you can keep her happy with all
the tension? :banghead:
I would really like to hear how it all comes together for the different
teams. Tell about other teams like Daina/Barnum. Mike Kay?

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 07, 2005 - 10:27 PM

I'll be the dude with the mullet on the Road Toad

PS: No fair winning, k?

• irondude

Posted November 07, 2005 - 10:35 PM

theres lots and lots of baja 1000 stuff on under the international section-Mexico.

heres all ya need to know.

Johnny Campbell left his house early this moring to go pre-run all week. He has a new van--and finally finished the front yard landscapping!

KTM have dropped any real effort to race. Its just a Dakar bike shake down. A couple of arrogant austrian idiots have ruined things for them.

BMW is going to run their silly little circus again...not sure why. its 'top secret stuff!' :banghead: they are paying some washed up loosers to try and finish.

The fat over 40 middle class dad's Husky team is alive and well. :banghead:

• nscmj3

Posted November 07, 2005 - 11:01 PM

BMW is going to run their silly little circus again...not sure why. its 'top secret stuff!' :banghead: they are paying some washed up loosers to try and finish.
:banghead:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not...please explain...

• BajaBoundMoto

Posted November 08, 2005 - 07:16 AM

I can't tell if this is a joke or not...please explain...

That depends on how you look at it...
IronDude is serious, but it's mostly about trying to get under my skin.

It was "top-secret" last year, when the proto-type bike was all black with no logos on it. Not so anymore, the bikes are hitting dealer floors now.

I am one of the "washed up losers" as well as a couple other +30 guys and a young guy who's very very fast. We happen to have a very good record racing and a profesional race effort. All the riders have either won Overall or placed 2nd overall in SCORE races....but we're "washed up" now...?

IronDude is just mad at me for a number of reasons, that's all.

• PowerCell

Posted November 08, 2005 - 08:07 AM

The fat over 40 middle class dad's Husky team is alive and well. :busted:

Looks like Husky might be preparing to put together a factory effort by running the new Husqvarna Viking Platinum 750 this year!!!

:banghead: :lol: :busted: :busted: :banghead:

• roadcam

Posted November 08, 2005 - 08:18 AM

Looks like Husky might be preparing to put together a factory effort by running the new Viking Platinum 750 this year!!!

:lol: :busted: :busted: :banghead: :busted:

does it come in any color beside white ??
:banghead:

• Husky_Forever

Posted November 08, 2005 - 08:53 AM

So, who is all racing?
On who's bike and how is it setup?
A- Normally rider of record owns the bike and works out the prep. Everyone else chips in equally to pay the remaining costs.

Under who's name?
A- Normally Bike owner unless you are a sponsored rider.

What is it all costing you?
A- If you alreay own the bike, we have done it for as cheap as $3K. That is no hotel, resturants,or anything flashy to include FM radios or Sat phones. And only one pre run of your section(s) of course to be raced. OR you can pay $4K and up and have all those things you went without and more. Budget is up to you and/or your team mates and whether you are in it to WIN OR just finish.

How many hours have you put into pre-running just for this race?
A- Average pre run speed on a bike is 25-32 miles per hour roughly. If you only have a day section then 3-4 times should be enough. The winning guys spend weeks down here, but they have a paycheck coming while pre running. The rest of us have familys, bills and jobs to consider. If you have a night section, then probably once or twice during the day to familiarize your self with the course landmarks and then 2-3 times at night to get used to what it will look like when you are actually racing on it. These are the minimum times.

Now that it is getting close, what are you missing?
A-More money probably! LOL!

What pits, bought or your own?
A- Unless you have a large group of friends who will pit for free (gas, food, insurance, beer, etc.) you either hire Honda pits (average $1.00 per mile with 92 octane included (up to 4 gallons per pit, every 50 miles or so.) and race only a Honda XR or quad. Or you can go with either my team, Baja Pits Race Team USA (www.bajapits.com) and pay a small pit fee and buy your fuel thru us as well and race whatever you want brand wise. If you are a Checkers member, they pit there own as well. There is also Mag 7 Race Team who do the same job as we do.

Tires?
A- Your choice there, but Dunlop, Michlin, Pirelli or Maxxis seems the most used. Something with a 6 ply rear and 4 ply front is best along with HD tubes, foam insert or tire balls in fronts only. Rear always a tube.

Suspension for more then one rider of different weights?
A- Average amoung your riders. I usually race with riders much lighter than I, so we set up the supension to their weights and I live with it. I race mainly night sections, so suspension doesn't matter that much. Just concentrating on the course so I dont get lost or fall down.

Were are you staying? More then one camp?
A- If you can afford it, hotels, with reservations made 9 months to 1 year in advance. Otherwise, rent a house, stay with a friend who owns a time share, camp in an RV park or sleep in your truck/van/motorhome. You can rent motorhomes that can be taken to Baja.

Radios, cell phone or sat phone?
A- All the above except maybe cell phone. Baja has poor cell phone coverage unless on a coast. 5 watt FM radio for bike and 50+ watt FM radio for ALL chase trucks (RLHcommunication.com). Allows you to either talk to your rider OR ATLEAST talk to the Weatherman or BFG Relay and they can talk to your rider and relay back to you. Plus, if your rider is injured and air evaced, you can hear it first on the radio. Sat phones are good if you want to talk directly to your rider when he is stopped. They can be leased or bought. Good investment to lease, say $25.00 a month if you dont talk on them.

Are you taking your woman?You think you can keep her happy with all
the tension? :banghead:
A- Some wives/girlfriends thrive on racing, some go shopping, some sit by the pool and tan and read and some are bored to death OR worried silly. Its your call there!

I would really like to hear how it all comes together for the different
teams. Tell about other teams like Daina/Barnum. Mike Kay?

A- Email me at Bajahuskys@Yahoo.com and we can have a lengthy conversation on this. Or is you live in So California we can meet for lunch/dinner and tell you everything I can. I started at young age of 18 with Stroppe Team working on an ambulance (Jeep CJ5) at El Arco for the 73 Baja 1000. Been involved thru pitting or racing since. Steny

• hill5150

Posted November 08, 2005 - 12:24 PM

Looks like Husky might be preparing to put together a factory effort by running the new Husqvarna Viking Platinum 750 this year!!!

:banghead: :busted: :busted: :crazy: :busted:

:busted: :banghead: :lol:

• Bajabosch_118

Posted November 08, 2005 - 02:22 PM

Just curious????????

-With the austrian arrogant guys screwing Team KTM/Red Bull for this Baja 1000 will Team KTM/Red Bull will be racing in SCORE/BITD Series in 2006 for the 1x and N1 numbers?

-And with Andy Grider racing suzuki this Baja 1000 will suzuki race in 2006 in SCORE and BITD???

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rmhrc630

Posted November 08, 2005 - 02:46 PM

what have the austian guys done?

I thought they were gonna hose Honda this year???

• Baja Rudy

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:20 PM

Irondude, as you know there is a "Mexican" BMW Team and the "American" BMW Team. your comments ("washed up loosers") do they apply to both teams or just the American Team? :applause:

The Mexican Team is composed of 3 guys from Ensenada...they may be interested in knowing the translation in Spanish!!! Let us know :ride:

• nscmj3

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:35 PM

Which team is Irondude racing for? I'm curious to hear from him on that one...

• Supplicate

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:48 PM

Which team is Irondude racing for? I'm curious to hear from him on that one...

the over 40 husky team :applause:

• nscmj3

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:58 PM

I thought husky only made chainsaws. Damn, didn't know they slapped together a dirt bike too!

• Supplicate

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:01 PM

I thought husky only made chainsaws. Damn, didn't know they slapped together a dirt bike too!

I bet you've never seen "On Any Sunday" have you?

• nscmj3

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:04 PM

:applause: :p :p :lol: :ride:

That's frigging hilarious. I'm still laughing here. Does Honda make a competitor? Suzuki? Yamaha? Husky may have cornered the market on that one!

• nscmj3

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:06 PM

I bet you've never seen "On Any Sunday" have you?

You mean that old, old, movie? Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Were there chainsaws in that too? I bet they wish they had the VIKING PLATINUM 750 back then!! HA!

• JackAttack

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:13 PM

Does Honda make a competitor?

Here is Honda's 6500K two-wheeler:

Posted Image

• Cosmo

Posted November 08, 2005 - 06:35 PM

Irondude................................lighten up.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.