Jetting the WR 450

4 replies to this topic
  • Zach0509

Posted November 07, 2005 - 02:02 PM

I've got a new 05 WR450... this thing is stock as stock can be. I haven't done one thing to it. I have been reading about jetting, and can't decide if I should do any custom jetting, or leave it stock. After the free mods, does jetting really make that much more difference? Or can I get a big improvement just from the free mods? Also, is jetting easily done? I'm no expert, and I might not even know if my bike is "dialed in". I'm just afraid to mess with anything that I don't know about.

• Just034

Posted November 07, 2005 - 02:13 PM

If your not going to rejet don't do the free mods you will be running so lean after the free mods you will not be doing your motor any favors. Rejetting is easy so just refer to the sticky at the top and copy someone who lives and rides in the same conditions with the same mods and you should get close.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Zach0509

Posted November 07, 2005 - 02:20 PM

Okay, what do I need to buy to rejet? Is it just an adjustment, or do I need new hardware? I do see the specs above, but don't know what that means. My buddy would know how to do it, but I would like to show up with the right stuff. Do I buy anything, or are they just adjustable?

• clark4131

Posted November 07, 2005 - 03:22 PM

To do your carb you'll need the following:

JD Jetting Kit
48 Pilot Jet
45 or 40 Leak Jet
70 Starter Jet
Zip Ty Fuel Screw
Zip Ty Hot Start Nut

You're looking at around $100 or so to do it right. I'm going to assume you're above 4000' elevation, so you're in the same boat as I am here in Reno. Once you're ready to go, PM me with your air temp and average riding elevation and I'll give you what I got. I've done a fair amount of research into jetting the '05 carb and have got it pretty well figured out. Lemme know...SC

• dbailey223

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:32 PM

The hardest part for me about re-jetting was getting the carb loose enough frmo all the stuff on it and near it to be able to rotate it to be able to gain access to the bottom of the carb for jets and rotating the other way to get access to the top of put in the JD needle. It just takes some time and perseverence to do it. Doesn't take a mechanic though. I was able to do it.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.