Low Mount Steering dampener question

7 replies to this topic
  • jkwithers

Posted November 07, 2005 - 01:15 PM

Yes yet another damn dampener question. Has anybody bought and used the low mount dampener that mounts to the fron fender? I have been considering one. I like it opposed to the upper triple clamp mounted version because I heard that you either have to remove it or install a sight tube to check your oil. But I also heard that you cannot adjust it on the fly. what are the pros and cons. Also if you are riding desert do you really need to adjust it often? Your input is much appreciated.... :banghead:

• kehale

Posted November 07, 2005 - 02:22 PM

I have the SUB mount.

It mounts beneath the bars, between the triple clamp.

it can be seen at:
http://www.brpit.com...mount_info.html

it's quite nice.
The only thing is that since the mounting arm is longer, you will need to dial in a little more dampening.

I run mine at 7 clicks out (slow speed)
-T

• roadcam

Posted November 07, 2005 - 02:28 PM

sounds like you're describing the W.E.R. (Works Endurance Rider) damper ... cant tell you much about it, except that it seems to find more favor with eastern enduro-type riders, while the western riders pretty much favor the SCOTTS .. not sure why that seems to be the case .. :banghead:

• BWB63

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:44 PM

I have tried the W.E.R. and did not like it. It seemed to have to much free play in the center. Has to do with the linkage. You can adjust it on the fly if you jump high enough reach over the bars, do a fender grab and on the way back make a quik adjustment :banghead: :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Countdown

Posted November 07, 2005 - 05:06 PM

I have tried the W.E.R. and did not like it. It seemed to have to much free play in the center. Has to do with the linkage. You can adjust it on the fly if you jump high enough reach over the bars, do a fender grab and on the way back make a quik adjustment :banghead: :banghead:

I have the WER on my XR400 & XR600. The 600 is a death trap without it.

Free play at center is sign you have air in it. No play if every lthing adjusted properly. Easy to add fluid but cause was probably leaking aroung the shaft.

• BWB63

Posted November 07, 2005 - 05:16 PM

I have tried the RTT it was cool but, it started leeking even after the factory fixed it. Scotts has no play and has a cool fast speed valve, GPR is real nice but, the W.E.R. is different with that linkage. It does not have the same resistance through the stroke as the others. The linkage just got sloppy after time. It's just not the same as the others.

• loufish

Posted November 08, 2005 - 06:55 PM

I run the Scotts with real nice billet machined pin mount. This pin is foreward of triple clamps, and I have no problem accessing the dipstick.
I've hit a couple of rocks that I'm sure would have thrown me if not for the Scotts Hi-speed damping circut...

• XR4DEZ

Posted November 08, 2005 - 07:47 PM

Scotts has a bottom mount available now, for the guys that don't want anything in the way on the bars. WER is a speed sensative unit that kicks in with sharp hits. The Scotts unit works in the high speed mode and with low speed damping so you have a lot more adjustment. I have'nt tried the GPR set up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.