Stupid questions

25 replies to this topic
  • RMarkus

Posted November 07, 2005 - 11:25 AM

I have an 01 WR426. This thing is hard to start. If it is cool at all (the bike, not the weather) it takes a long time to kick over. Usually I just give up on it and never ride it. I enjoy it when it runs, but usually after about 25 kicks I just go back inside and do something else.

O.K. I know you can't help with that because it could probably be a million different things. The only other things I can say about it is that I started putting my torpedo heater in front of it and heat up the engine cases...it always starts second kick afer they are warm to the touch. The other thing is I had the bike on consignment at a local dealer. During their initial inspection they said the carb was mildly "gummy" and sticking, but wasn't that bad.

I was hoping that someone could tell me where to start looking to get the bike to kick over easier. Should I start with the carb? Is it possible tha thisd could help fix the problem.

I bought the bike used with a Supertrapp pipe. I have no idea if the guy that owned it before knew what he was doing or not or if he messed with changing the jetting to match the pipe. He did do the grey wire mod, throttle stop removal , and had the lid of the air box off...so I assume he knew what he was doing when tuning it for the pipe and such.

Any help would be appreciated since I have the week off to look into the bike.

Thanks

• Jeremiah

Posted November 07, 2005 - 11:43 AM

Always start with the carb. Mine was hard to start when I first bought mine. I cleaned the carb, (idle circuit to be precise) and now it starts any time/any where/ any temp.

If they (the shop where you had it on consignment) said it was a bit gummed up, clean it, (as I would have expected they'd do if they had the carb off!), and see what happens.

• bg10459

Posted November 07, 2005 - 12:36 PM

If, by cool starting, you mean with the choke, then increase the starter jet. Since changing to a #70, mine starts much easier. You might even want to try going to a 72, but I don't know what you have in there now.
If you aren't using the choke for cool or cold starts, you should, and therein lies your problem. The pilot circuit needs to be right on for good hot starts, or any starts without the choke. Just remember, the starter jet is only for the choke circuit, and has little or no effect when the choke is in.

• Dan_from_HB

Posted November 07, 2005 - 12:46 PM

If you don't like the bike that much, sell it as is. I wouldn't put too much work into it. If you like the bike otherwise, I'd fix the starting problem. It's most likely a jetting issue. The JD Jetting Guide and a $70 set of needles will take care of the issue, assuming that's it.
The other possible issues could be valve condition or a weak ignition. But it's almost always jetting on the issue of hard starting. See the jetting forum, and with a little extra effort, you can even get by without the jetting kit.

• RMarkus

Posted November 07, 2005 - 01:30 PM

I like the bike even though a DR650 or a KLR650 is more suited to what I want it for. If I can get it to start easier I'll just make it street legal and use it.

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll look at the carb tonight, clean it, and look at what jet is in there.

• bg10459

Posted November 07, 2005 - 03:28 PM

It's most likely a jetting issue. The JD Jetting Guide and a $70 set of needles will take care of the issue, assuming that's it.

While I agree it's most likely a jetting issue, I wouldn't recommend the JD kit just yet. Fix the problem first and then get the JD kit if you are so inclined. (I do recommend the JD kit for performance gains)

The other possible issues could be valve condition or a weak ignition. But it's almost always jetting on the issue of hard starting. See the jetting forum, and with a little extra effort, you can even get by without the jetting kit.

Again, I agree that it could be a valve condition or weak ignition, except for his statement

I started putting my torpedo heater in front of it and heat up the engine cases...it always starts second kick afer they are warm to the touch.

That would indicate that it is poorly jetted on the choke circuit, and maybe even the pilot as well. Clean the carb and check which jets you have. Also put in a new plug. Do the cheap and easy fixes first.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 07, 2005 - 03:37 PM

Marcus,
Does your bike make a very slight "clicking" sound?

Does you bike really like the hot start to be pulled when warm? If so you bike might need a valve adjustment. Pretty common actually..

An aftermarket exhaust won't really effect the way the bike starts. What jets are in there?

• RMarkus

Posted November 07, 2005 - 05:50 PM

The jets in it are : Main 165, Pilot 42, The other smaller jet is a 65.

The bike doesn't need the hot choke to restart when it's warm. As far as a clicking noise, I don't know because this is my first thumper (other than my SL70 and CB125s). My other bikes are a ST1300 and VFR, they are quiet compared to the WR.

I cleaned the carb out. The area with the floats was not bad at all, but the end with the slide, valve, and needle was a bit dirty.

• YZippy

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:01 PM

I'm having all kinds of starting issues also. I think it is the carb, but I havent gotten around to pulling it yet. Probably this week.
Try http://motoman393.th...h/bluewire.html

Mine was impossible, now it is only difficult. As much as I love the power I think I made a poor choice as far as a bike goes. Too tall and heavy. I'll probably sell and get a KDX 200 or KTM 200/250/300. I will miss the 400cc rocket though :banghead:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Just put in a 72 starter jet for the choke circuit! No throttle easier starting! :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • RMarkus

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:45 PM

Just put in a 72 starter jet for the choke circuit! No throttle easier starting! :banghead:

Thank You.

I'll go to Yamaha in the morning and get one. Hopefully I don't have to order it. One of the mechanics is a friend of mine, so maybe he has one in his toolbox.

• Bamster

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:01 PM

Just put in a 72 starter jet for the choke circuit! No throttle easier starting!

And a good motocross boot. If you have been trying to start it with sneakers?
you deserve it. :banghead:

• RMarkus

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:39 PM

And a good motocross boot. If you have been trying to start it with sneakers?
you deserve it. :banghead:

LOL...I don't even own sneakers. All boots, a pair for every purpose.

• jchantzWR400F

Posted November 08, 2005 - 06:32 AM

Sorry, but I have to ask. Do you know the starting drill?

• byggd

Posted November 08, 2005 - 08:08 AM

Sorry, but I have to ask. Do you know the starting drill?

This is a good question. If you know the "drill" the 426 is a great bike.....I love my 02 :banghead: The most important thing it to never EVER give it any gas when trying to start it as it will most certainly flood. Rest your hand on the master cyl if you are tempted to. :banghead:

• oldbones

Posted November 08, 2005 - 11:22 AM

I would actually disagree on the "no throttle, ever" statement.

If the bike is cold, I always do the same thing.

Pull choke on.
Gas on.
Twist throttle twice.
Find TDC
Kick ONCE.

Works every time. :banghead:

• BobbySands

Posted November 08, 2005 - 11:36 AM

hearing anyone with a 426 talking about twisting the thottle twice before kicking it over makes me shiver. i used to ride with a fellow who had a WR426 and god forbid you twisted that throttle while starting. it better have a new plug or be willing to wait awhile. and i couldn't agree more with the motocross boot issue brought up above... several times i wasn't dressed, but slid on one boot and hopped on it to do my share of kicking it... mostly notably the time his nitwit brother grabbed the throttle first thing.

ever see the jet of gas that carb tosses out? i can't imagine a person would want that much raw gas introduced while starting....

but then, i don't ride this sort of machine. in my opinion, man, you should sell this thing to someone who can really enjoy it (they're out there... it's a screamin' bike to be sure) and get your DR650 or XR650L. very little maint. and no headaches. WR's are like F1 cars, the pinnacle of technology. the bike you mentioned are considered 'archaic' technology, but to the people who own then that means "always starts and only have to be worked on once, maybe twice a year."

that being said, once you've jetted this thing (my likely your issue) and checked your valves for clearance, it should start up just fine.

• Math

Posted November 08, 2005 - 12:36 PM

165mj, 42pj and 65sj is bone stock for a 01WR426. The bike should not be that hard to start. For a reason I still don't understand, the 01 WRs seem to be different to one another requiring quite different jetting specs depending on the bike.... My jetting is 170 on the main, 42 on the pilot. With my 65 starter jet, I often need to twist the throttle a couple of times to get it started when dead cold. Try it or try a bigger starter jet.

• byggd

Posted November 08, 2005 - 12:37 PM

hearing anyone with a 426 talking about twisting the thottle twice before kicking it over makes me shiver. i used to ride with a fellow who had a WR426 and god forbid you twisted that throttle while starting. it better have a new plug or be willing to wait awhile.

I agree. I think i read where the YZ426F required a twist of the throttle when starting but not the WR. Once I added the JD kit and did the BK mod mine starts one kick almost every time! :banghead:

• RMarkus

Posted November 08, 2005 - 03:08 PM

Yamaha didn't have a jet. I drilled it out two sizes over what it was with some tiny drills left over from my machine shop days. It runs great, started third kick without the choke. It has started first kick every time afterward. :applause:

Now I have a slight problem. Gas running from the overflow (bottom tube coming off the bowl). I guess my float isn't set right. I was careful not to touch or mess with it and the needle. I'm taking the carb back off to have a look. Everything looked fine when I took it off before.

New dumb question of the day...where do I find the specs on how the float should be set? I don't have a manual.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.