help 650r T-4

26 replies to this topic
  • fatboyrv

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:46 AM

my dad is going to purchase a pro circuit t-4 full system for his 2000 xr650r i was wondering if anybody has this on there bike and what size jet are they running we have a white brothers on there rite now its just the slip on and theres a 175 jet in there and runs ok i guess should we keep the 175 in there with with the new t-4

• BWB63

Posted November 07, 2005 - 10:05 AM

The header will make it flow much better. You will need a 68s or 70s pilot. Depending on the end cap you use, if you use the spark arrestor screen and what type of air filter setup, you will need to use a 180 ~ 185 main. I ran a 185main, 70s pilot, b53e needle in the middle spot. With XR's only header, R4 muffler, Uni and holes in the side air box cover. The two systems are a lot alike. 0~4,000 feet above sea level

• cholwerk

Posted November 07, 2005 - 12:08 PM

my dad is going to purchase a pro circuit t-4 full system for his 2000 xr650r i was wondering if anybody has this on there bike and what size jet are they running we have a white brothers on there rite now its just the slip on and theres a 175 jet in there and runs ok i guess should we keep the 175 in there with with the new t-4

Just be ready...this pipe is LOUD.

• ThunderChicken

Posted November 07, 2005 - 02:13 PM

fatboy,
you should tell your dad to save his money.

does he have the hrc tip for his stock exhaust? the stock exhaust with the hrc tip is still relatively quiet compared to a pro circuit T-4.

i've been using a T-4 and can not identify any obvious performance gained over running a stock exhaust with a HRC tip.

the T-4 is extremely loud as well. i'm planning on getting a quiet exhaust system or just going back to stock. like i said, i've been using the T-4 for awhile now and have not noticed any significant improvements.

• BWB63

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:33 PM

It is true that if you are not going to ride in the higher rpm's you will not see a difference. With the T4 header/muffler setup you will move the power curve up and make it much longer then stock. At peak Hp 5,400~6,200 you will see only about a 2hp gain but, at 6,200~8,200 you will see as much as 5hp gain over stock. It really helps if you are racing and if you are into pulling the whoops at high speed it's a must. I liked running mine with the spark arrestor all the time. Little more quite and gave a little more grunt over wide open. I see the newer ones come with three tips. So, sound can be reduced. I Liked the weight savings the most. It's three pounds lighter then stock. It is not as loud as stock or WB "E" series wide open.

• Thumpmeister

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:47 PM

http://www.xr650r.us/jetting/

This site is the Bible when it comes to jetting. I'm running a R4 slip on, and I was running the HRC jetting at 175 main, and 68s pilot. It was sputtering on deceleration, and didn't idle well. I went up to 178 main, and 70 pilot. HUGE differance. Not only in off-the-throttle power, but also in ease of starting and idling, and no more popping on deceleration. This site it tops when it comes to jetting. Well this one as well as borynaks site.

• BWB63

Posted November 07, 2005 - 10:09 PM

I wounder where Eric got all those numbers?

• ThunderChicken

Posted November 08, 2005 - 10:01 AM

It is true that if you are not going to ride in the higher rpm's you will not see a difference. With the T4 header/muffler setup you will move the power curve up and make it much longer then stock. At peak Hp 5,400~6,200 you will see only about a 2hp gain but, at 6,200~8,200 you will see as much as 5hp gain over stock. It really helps if you are racing and if you are into pulling the whoops at high speed it's a must. I liked running mine with the spark arrestor all the time. Little more quite and gave a little more grunt over wide open. I see the newer ones come with three tips. So, sound can be reduced. I Liked the weight savings the most. It's three pounds lighter then stock. It is not as loud as stock or WB "E" series wide open.

5 hp over stock, imo, is not worth the added noise.

again, imo, it's not a must for racing or "pulling whoops at high speed..."

the stock exhaust with the HRC tip makes plenty of power in all situations.

loud pipes are not worth the cardboard box they were sold in.

• BWB63

Posted November 08, 2005 - 11:00 AM

Wow, 5hp is 12% boost and in forth gear @ 7,200 rpm that is just enough to straighten out the bike if things are going wrong. We are talking Header and muffler. It has to do with power at what rpm and 5hp is a lot on a bike....a whole lot. It is true that the peak horsepower will not show much more then 2hp, but, if you are racing, you would know that it's more than peak horsepower but, where and when that horsepower comes on. You just have an issue with noise....fine we have heard that before....some guys here race and what header/muffler they use is important to pulling the bike straight through the whoops at speed. You can't just back off in the whoops going 70+mph if the bike starts to get out of wack. With a stock header at 7,200 rpm the horsepower curve is falling off real fast, with a free flowing header the horsepower curve stays almost flat to 8,000rpm. Sometimes things on the forum are not just for the weekend rider out in the forest but, some race Baja where how the bike is setup matters. But, then again you are the expert on racing I should just shut up. Barnum, Xr's only, Johnny Campbell, Mike Kay all run stock exhaust when racing for a reason? Oh, they don't, yes, quite pipes have there place but, this isn't that thread again........My Moriwaki full race exhaust is quieter then the stock exhaust with an HRC tip, and puts out more Horsepower.

Posted Image

• ThunderChicken

Posted November 08, 2005 - 11:24 AM

assuming fatboy lives in california he will be confronted with the noise issue regardless of whether he plans to trail ride his xr650r in california or race his xr650r in california.

in my opinion the T4 does not make any noticable power gains over stock from a "on the back of the bike" perspective. frankly i could care less about dyno numbers, revs, gear ratios. it's irrelevent. the available power the 650 builds with a stock exhaust and the hrc tip is plenty for the typical racer/trail rider. i am finding this to be a universal, with all aftermarket exhaust systems. aside from the fact that these compaines are recklessly marketing and selling systems that contribute to the loss of our riding areas, they are essentially snake oil for most riders.

again that is my opinion. to me it is not worth contributing to the loss of our riding areas for some percieved gain in horsepower. i believe there are better places to spend your money in regard to the 650r; namely getting a suspension job and joining a gym.

so whenever someone asks about a loud pipe like the T4 i am going to give my opinion an tell them that i think that purchasing these loud exhaust systems will have little to no impact on their effectiveness as a rider.

btw, JC can run what JC runs because he is doing most of it in mexico.
but trust me, honda internally is well aware of the double standard they are establishing regarding their position on the noise issue and the loud bikes their team members race.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ThunderChicken

Posted November 08, 2005 - 11:30 AM

and btw, i can't think of one instance where i pulled out of high speed death swaps in deep whoops and said to myself "damn, that T4 exhaust system really helped save my ass from swapping out..."

• hill5150

Posted November 08, 2005 - 12:07 PM

Have you ever seen fifth gear? :banghead:

• DelTronXR

Posted November 08, 2005 - 12:25 PM

Just be ready...this pipe is LOUD.

Oh yes it is, and Oh boy does it sound nice :banghead:

• ThunderChicken

Posted November 08, 2005 - 12:57 PM

Have you ever seen fifth gear? :banghead:

trust me, i spend more time in 5th gear than most of you spend on your bikes.

• hill5150

Posted November 08, 2005 - 01:31 PM

trust me, i spend more time in 5th gear than most of you spend on your bikes.

:banghead: :lol: :busted: :busted: :banghead: Jesus..................That's funny...............

• ThunderChicken

Posted November 08, 2005 - 01:48 PM

chicks use smilies, hill.

• hill5150

Posted November 08, 2005 - 02:00 PM

chicks use smilies, hill.

&%$#@!........ :banghead:

• BWB63

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:46 PM

Thunder Chicken = You guys are to loud! Why would you guys want all that power? The XR650R has more then enough power. Be real good or we will lose our riding area! What a bunch of bull! Just because you can't ride at a level that needs more power, or you don't like to push the limits doesn't mean everyone has to live by your humble opinion. California...do I hear a challenge? :p :p Come on lets see all the fifth gear through the whoops stuff :lol: :applause: :p :p :ride: :p

Greenies don't care if you ride where no one can hear you, don't care if you ride where there is nothing but, other riders with loud bikes. They just don't want us to ride.

I ride with some real loud XR650R's (wide open pipes) and I hate being behind them, It really, really bothers me! So, I don't ride behind them :lol:
I am more then sure that you are an awesome guy thunder chicken and I would love to go riding but, I do not agree with any of your thunder chicken thinking.....I hate it! ...doesn't mean you have to change. I bet you never pisses behind a tire, spits on the ground, plays loud music, plays with fire, (or let the kids play with fire), Ride high speed wheelies, stoppies, split traffic on the freeway, park wrong in a parking spot, cut someone off on accident, lights off M1000's, mortars, fire crackers, hunting, shooting. I am guilty of a lot more then that! I don't drink, don't cause at all, don't smoke, don't do the drunk party thing. What do you guys want? Just work, and stay within what is PC, nothing crazy just what is politically and socially correct? Well I don't fit the PC crowd in anyway so, I will just have to pay the tickets. I am sure of one thing, I am not going to change. Worse then that I am raising three boyz just like me ;) They like to blow things up, kill deer, loud bikes and play with fire! :p

• BWB63

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:55 PM

and btw, i can't think of one instance where i pulled out of high speed death swaps in deep whoops and said to myself "damn, that T4 exhaust system really helped save my ass from swapping out..."

I have. What a difference in deap whoops having that extra power in the higher rpm's. I might have made it anyways, and some times still wish for a little more at times........but, I am not that good of rider so, I need all the extra help I can get :applause:

• Supplicate

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:57 PM

in my opinion the T4 does not make any noticable power gains over stock from a "on the back of the bike" perspective.

my "ass dyno" told me to hold on and give it more gas to enjoy the bigger power once the exhaust was on.

I also do probably 60% of my riding at WOT in 3rd gear or higher.

The coolest thing ever was nailing a really rutted, mud holed, washed out, generally gnarly road in 3rd gear and having that extra grunt to get things straightened up after the rear decided the rut to my right looked like a better home then where it was.

But, I also wear earplugs when riding no matter what, so noise isn't an issue with me (or where I ride) :applause:

edit: this isn't the T4 pipe I'm talking about, but a Barnum's Pro exhaust system...

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.