Looking for bolt torque specs XR650L...

19 replies to this topic
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 07, 2005 - 08:33 AM

Searching on torque generates a gazillion HP threads, so thought I'd ask directly.

I need to remove/install the front/rear wheels on a 650L...does anyone have the torque specs for the rear axle nut, and the front fork clamp bolts handy?

Thanks in advance!

• TREADMARKS

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:01 AM

Searching on torque generates a gazillion HP threads, so thought I'd ask directly.

I need to remove/install the front/rear wheels on a 650L...does anyone have the torque specs for the rear axle nut, and the front fork clamp bolts handy?

Thanks in advance!

65 ft lbs for the rear axle. The front fork clamp bolts on the trees is like 16 on one and 18 on the other. The front axle clamp nuts isn't very much, but I have heard of them stripping easily at the recommended torque settings, so I just go snug with loctite.

If you can wait till later I will look at the manual.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:07 AM

TREADMARKS--

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry about the ambiguity; I should have ben more specific...just looking for the rear axle nut (65 ft/lbs) and the front axle clamp bolts. I do have a few torque wrenches; one of them is a 1/4" drive that measures in inch/lbs...perhaps I should use it on the fron axle clamp bolts... :banghead:

Thanks for the heads-up on the stripping issue! :banghead:

• BWB63

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:59 AM

The front axle clamp nuts are 9 ft/lbs. They do break easy.
Tighten the top first. This is important also.
The front axle needs to be tight (69 ft/lbs). It has to do with making the spacers/bearings solid. You have outer spacers, bearings and an inner spacer. It is important that the front is this tight. I have seen damage from a loose front axle.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 07, 2005 - 11:56 AM

TREADMARKS--

Thanks for the reply.

Sorry about the ambiguity; I should have ben more specific...just looking for the rear axle nut (65 ft/lbs) and the front axle clamp bolts. I do have a few torque wrenches; one of them is a 1/4" drive that measures in inch/lbs...perhaps I should use it on the fron axle clamp bolts... :banghead:

Thanks for the heads-up on the stripping issue! :banghead:

dont get that technical, 65 rear, tight front.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:57 PM

Torque specs are there for a reason. :banghead:

Thanks for the specifics on the bolts everyone. :banghead:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 07, 2005 - 06:22 PM

Thanks for the specifics on the bolts everyone. :banghead:

yeah but 10 pounds.....you can tell about what that feels like......its not rocket science. 65 in the rear....that you may want to stick to, but the front ones, just nice and snug.

• BWB63

Posted November 07, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Yamahawr450F you are wrong! The front axle is real important that it is tight, real tight 69 ft/lbs tight. Both the front and back axles are smashing the outer spacers to the race and then to the inside spacer (inside the wheel where you can't see it). If you make the front axle just snug it will wearout the front bearings fast, the whole front wheel will get sloppy, I have seen it. You are about right with the little cap bolts most find out that 10 ft/lbs isn't much. I look at the front of XR's and most have one broken cap stud. I took you off the ignore list to see what is up......samething! Please look up the facts before you post :banghead:

• Max Power

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:06 PM

Really.....

This is how shite like this happens.

Posted Image

• BWB63

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:20 PM

Really.....

This is how shite like this happens.

Posted Image

He isn't old enough to know what that is! :lol: :busted: :banghead: :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wr450fyamaha

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:42 PM

Yamahawr450F you are wrong! The front axle is real important that it is tight, real tight 69 ft/lbs tight. Both the front and back axles are smashing the outer spacers to the race and then to the inside spacer (inside the wheel where you can't see it). If you make the front axle just snug it will wearout the front bearings fast, the whole front wheel will get sloppy, I have seen it. You are about right with the little cap bolts most find out that 10 ft/lbs isn't much. I look at the front of XR's and most have one broken cap stud. I took you off the ignore list to see what is up......samething! Please look up the facts before you post :banghead:

are you retarted? i was NEVER talking about front axle torque, i torque mine to 68. just snug on the front nuts is all i was talkin about. in fact, this is my exact procedure, insert axle and screw untell snug, add spedo wire, psoition the aluminum clamp, finger tighten the nuts, torque to 68 pounds, set the tire by workin the front suspension in and out, re torque axle, snug the nuts to about 10 pounds....just guessing on that.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:43 PM

see, this is where 500 of my 927 posts come from, its going back and correcting you people.

• Max Power

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:51 PM

see, this is where 500 of my 927 posts come from, its going back and correcting you people.

Ohhhhhh.... my stomach. Stop it.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 07, 2005 - 10:18 PM

• adam574

Posted November 08, 2005 - 12:47 AM

i get my forearm calibrated every year... hasn't failed me yet

• roadcam

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:10 AM

now I'm curious ... does the thread regarding "splitting this forum" mean one forum for Wr450FYamaha, and another forum for the rest of us ?? (I hope) :banghead:

• BWB63

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:48 AM

I shouldn't have done it. It was late, I was in the hospital all Sunday, drugs, couldn't sleep and I made the mistake of taking Yamahawr450f boy of the ignore list :banghead: :banghead: . How stupid I am sorry it won't happen again.

• roadcam

Posted November 08, 2005 - 06:59 AM

yup, pain, drugs, sleeplessness, wr450yamaha ... it all fits ... :banghead:

• CG2000

Posted October 20, 2014 - 10:22 AM

Some torque specs are available here, not complete but you might find what you need. https://sweettraction.wordpress.com/

• CG2000

Posted October 26, 2014 - 02:14 PM

Some torque specs are available here, not complete but you might find what you need. https://sweettraction.wordpress.com/

Here you go, pretty much all torque specs seem to be here: http://honda-specs.c...y/torque-specs/

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.