Not happy w/ stator results

11 replies to this topic
  • xr_stamm

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:40 AM

I just put on my new stator and I didn't get the results I expected. I have a Cyclops headlight and LED tail/brake lights. The only thing I could notice is that the dimming at idle wasn't there. Other than that the brightness was about the same. Sure, sure, I realize the regulator is responsible for much of this, but I'm curious what other people found with their stator installs.

David

• al_piv

Posted November 07, 2005 - 06:45 AM

Did you rewind it yourself and follow "Stator Rewind"
or
did you purchase it?

• qadsan

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:17 AM

...The only thing I could notice is that the dimming at idle wasn't there...

The stator won't increase the peak brightness of the lights unless the peak load from the lights exceeds the stator output. The stator simply makes more power available so that more powerful / brighter lights can be run.

If you're running anything less than a 55 watt light, then the stock stator should be able to allow the light to reach full brightness once the engine RPM is up past idle, but you'll probably get some dimming at idle. A higher output stator allows more power to the lights and will eliminate the dimming at idle with a 55 watt bulb.

If you installed a 100 watt bulb, the stock stator would not be able to drive it to full brightness, hence the need for a higher output stator.

• x400r

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:51 AM

so the increase output of the stator will not burn out bulbs, just make more power available?

• don87xr600

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:52 PM

not if your regulator is working

• xr_stamm

Posted November 07, 2005 - 06:57 PM

I bought a Ricky Stator unit. Nice quality, but given the performance on a Cyclops headlight, everyone would be better off saving the $160 bucks and keeping the stock stator.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • qadsan

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:25 PM

A Cyclops headlight is only 55 watts. The stock stator will drive it to full brightness at engine speeds above idle. The only thing a higher output stator will do to that headlight is allow it to be brighter at idle and nothing more, unless you have other accessories drawing additional power on your bike (i.e. grip heaters, GPS, charging a battery, etc). If somebody told you otherwise, then they set your expectations wrong.

• Kritter

Posted November 07, 2005 - 08:46 PM

Where is the regulator and how is it upgraded? Ive got an HID that runs with a dual sport kit apparently due to the battery pack giving it enough juice to start up but it wont run with a 160W stator without any kind of battery or capacitor?

The light draws 2.8 amps...which even at 14 volts is on 39.2 watts....what gives?

• Countdown

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:00 PM

Where is the regulator and how is it upgraded?

Why, do you want more voltage so you can blow out bulbs? Just unplug it and you can get a lot more voltage

• Kritter

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:04 PM

Why, do you want more voltage so you can blow out bulbs? Just unplug it and you can get a lot more voltage

I was looking for more amperage...not more volts...

• Old_Man_Time

Posted November 07, 2005 - 09:28 PM

I bought a Ricky Stator unit. Nice quality, but given the performance on a Cyclops headlight, everyone would be better off saving the $160 bucks and keeping the stock stator.

Baja Designs rewinds them for $120.00 with a lifetime warrantee to the original purchaser and bike. The out put is over 200w (250 I think). I run grip heaters 60w bulb which is brighter than stock but not really good enough for serious night riding. Plus it has to keep my battery charged for the Baja Designs electric starter I installed. But I do have the juice to run a serious light if I so desire.

• loufish

Posted November 08, 2005 - 06:50 PM

You want more light? Then get a light with more wattage, if you have a 55 watt bulb, then all that bulb is going to pull in amperage is 55 watts, no matter what the stator can produce...stock(about 80 watts), or a aftermarket(200-250 watts).
The stator doesn't make more light, the higher rated bulb does, but to run the higher rated bulb, you must upgrade your stator.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.