What's the difference?

16 replies to this topic
  • 04WR450F

Posted November 06, 2005 - 03:09 PM

I just disconnected the grey wire and went for a test ride. I could tell no difference whatsoever. Should I have been able to "feel" a difference? Is this suppose to help performance or just efficiency? I had already done the throttle stop mod and had the baffle removed (which I put back in for trail riding). Otherwise, it's all stock. Thanks.

• Matty05

Posted November 06, 2005 - 03:38 PM

I think it raises the rev limit. I could be wrong but I think it is a waiste of time too.
I have mine disconnected, only because I couldn't be bothered pulling the tank off to connect it back up.

• baha

Posted November 06, 2005 - 04:52 PM

I think it adjust ( advances ) the timing, I wish somebody would say for sure, I won't touch mine if this is true. That will make the quality of the gas even more critical. I only put in the best I can find, never the less I do not feel California Gas is good.. I can only get 91 Oc, If i had a reliable supply of 93 or better then I would cut it assuming that what the gray wire is for....

• dbailey223

Posted November 06, 2005 - 05:47 PM

I don't understand what this concept means, but the threads on the grey wire says the disconnecting the grey wire "maps the timing like the YZ". So, I think that is different than advancing the timing. Check out thumperfaq.com and there free mods page for an explanation. Here's part of what it says:

There are two different maps (spreadsheets) in the WR/YZ bikes. One is for the YZ and is selected if the gray wire isn't grounded. The other is for the WR and is selected if the gray wire is grounded. With the gray wire connected an alternate ignition-timing map is used. The WR map retards the timing at the mid and upper RPM so that the bike will run with the stock baffle and throttle limiter installed (see link with actual engine data analysis by TT member McGrath). If you remove the baffle and alter the throttle stop you should also remove the grey wire. Most people do not like the alternate mapping and disconnect it, especially after doing the other free mods. Initially it was advocated to cut the wire, and many riders have. There are disadvantages to cutting the wire. First if you may initially cut the wrong wire. Second, if you decide at a later time to return to the original ignition-timing map it is more difficult. Most now advocate simply disconnecting the wire from the connector and taping it off with electrical tape.

• baha

Posted November 06, 2005 - 06:06 PM

The YZ mapping is a advancement of the timing, thus quality of fuel must meet the demands of the timing. If the fuel is of poor standard, this will lead to detination. If the WR map is retarted in comparison to the YZ map; it should function under low rpm to mid rpm loads with less detination. If you advance the timing you will improve performance. I just wonder if long term motor life will decrease under this advanced setting.

• wr450otis

Posted November 06, 2005 - 08:06 PM

Take a look http://www.thumperta...true#Post336836

• Matty05

Posted November 06, 2005 - 08:23 PM

I just wonder if long term motor life will decrease under this advanced setting.

It's a yamaha!

As long as it is not pinging or lean, what is the problem?

Vortex ignition change the spark timing, which makes a big difference.
Pulling the grey wire made little to no difference.

It is recommended here in Australia to run "premium" fuel, which is 95 octane minimum. I don't think anyone here uses any lower.

• baha

Posted November 06, 2005 - 10:11 PM

Cool now I can disconnect the wire, 95 octane down there huh, I lucky to get a true 91

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ARin

Posted November 06, 2005 - 11:02 PM

it adjusts the timing "curve" to meet the demands of full throttle and unrestricted exhaust/airbox flow.

i "assume" this will let the bike run more efficiently at full throttle.

• bg10459

Posted November 07, 2005 - 06:04 AM

On a side note, if you're worried about re-connecting the grey wire after you cut it, install some crimp connectors on the cut ends and tape them off. When you want to put it back, just remove the tape and re-connect. Another idea is to wire in a switch which could be mounted on the bars. On and off at your finger tips :banghead: . That said, I disconnected mine from the molex and haven't had any problems.

• byggd

Posted November 07, 2005 - 06:57 AM

With the gray wire connected the system uses a signal from the TPS to retard the timing 12 to 14 degrees after 1/2 throttle so you should feel a more noticeable hit after 1/2 throttle with it disconnected :banghead:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 07, 2005 - 07:01 AM

The YZ mapping is a advancement of the timing, thus quality of fuel must meet the demands of the timing. If the fuel is of poor standard, this will lead to detination. If the WR map is retarted in comparison to the YZ map; it should function under low rpm to mid rpm loads with less detination. If you advance the timing you will improve performance. I just wonder if long term motor life will decrease under this advanced setting.

I concur with the variation in timing between the YZ and WR maps.
YZ ignition timing does not hurt the WR motor or effect its life. I have run 87 octane at high altitudes with no problems. I normally run 93 but out west in the mountains they dont even sell it. :banghead:

• 04WR450F

Posted November 07, 2005 - 05:39 PM

Wow. I did read the technical stuff at the link that was posted before I disconnected the wire. It's pretty Greek to me. It sounds like the grey wire mod is primarily beneficial to bikes with the baffle out or a more "open" exhaust. I wonder how it'll run at high altitudes (10,000 ft) with the baffle IN. Any thoughts?

Also, it seemed to be a little harder to start right after I did the mod. Any more thoughts?

Thanks guys.

• mousemeat

Posted November 08, 2005 - 06:01 AM

keep in mind that the '04 WR's sold outside of the US all have the grey wire disconnected at the factory...

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 08, 2005 - 07:10 AM

keep in mind that the '04 WR's sold outside of the US all have the grey wire disconnected at the factory...

True......... Along with the throttle stop..... :banghead: :banghead: :lol: :busted:

• Zach0509

Posted November 08, 2005 - 10:39 AM

You can buy 100 Octane Low Lead at any small airport. Mine you can even pay at the pump with a CC... I've only run it in snowmobiles, so I'm not sure if it's good for the WR Just a heads up on fuel

• baha

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:54 PM

Ex Father in law was a fuel systems expert for the FAA and McDonell Douglas, he once told me they add a additive to avation gas so it will burn a little faster when they are above so many feet, at lower elevations it's the lead that helps and it works if you don't mind the lead. Mind you I have not seen his highly unhappy (rhymes with gas) in over 15 maybe 20 years so it is old info.

I have used it in big block RAT motors in the past and it allowed major advancements in timing on that application.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.