Alcohol Conversion

32 replies to this topic
  • tyler426f

Posted November 06, 2005 - 01:20 PM

I have an '02 426 and I am considering switching over to alcohol, several of my friends run it in their 4wheelers and have had no problems with it. Just wondering if anyone knew where i could get alcohol jets for my carb, already have the hi-flo petcock.

• 642MX

Posted November 06, 2005 - 02:21 PM

I'm sure your buddies are running on alcohol. :banghead: That's whats fun about four wheelers, getting drunk and riding around....right? :banghead:

Why would you want to run your bike on alcohol? What purpose would it serve?

• kizzle426

Posted November 06, 2005 - 02:50 PM

Stick with 91 octane buddy. There's no reason to run alcohol. I've run VP in my bike before and it made almost no noticable difference. I've heard it said by many that the best thing for the bike is straight up 91 octane.

• tyler426f

Posted November 06, 2005 - 05:08 PM

i'm wanting to run alcohol because i've got hot cams and a port job on my bike i am currently running 110 race gas but at over 5 bucks a gallon its getting expensive. i mainly ride at the sand dunes and occassionally take it to the drag strip. i've seen several bikes on alcohol and they generally tend to run faster than the bikes on race gas with the same mods. Plus the fact that it is cheaper than pump gas helps too

• Ga426owner

Posted November 06, 2005 - 05:55 PM

I have an '02 426 and I am considering switching over to alcohol, several of my friends run it in their 4wheelers and have had no problems with it. Just wondering if anyone knew where i could get alcohol jets for my carb, already have the hi-flo petcock.

ok this is a first................... :banghead:

• tyler426f

Posted November 06, 2005 - 09:01 PM

What would be a first?

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 07, 2005 - 03:59 AM

What would be a first?

Someone wanting to run alcohol. First time I've ever heard it too. Must say I'm very curious to know how well the conversion works and if there's any benifit?

• iamsavi

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:13 AM

We had a crf250 running on methanol pretty easily... if u can find one, a reeming tool is the way to go 'custom massive jets'. i guess one of the main reasons u want it on meth is that it smells awesome, and of course the tech reasons...

• Ga426owner

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:54 AM

Someone wanting to run alcohol. First time I've ever heard it too. Must say I'm very curious to know how well the conversion works and if there's any benifit?

Been around a long time - I never have heard of this..........that why it a first - and I believe this is the first time TT has posted it... :banghead:

• Joe_Jet

Posted November 07, 2005 - 08:03 AM

E85 has an octane rating of 105 and is becoming more available. Check out www.e85.com

• Jetsprint2

Posted November 07, 2005 - 08:43 AM

The main benefit from running alcohol is the ability to run more compression. If you raise the compression too high with "gas" you will detenate as with alcohol you can run at a higher compression ratio. I run sprint cars on Methenol and the compression is at 16:1. If you raise the compression ratio of the bike I could see possibly running methenol otherwise there is no real benefit. :banghead:

• CV4

Posted November 07, 2005 - 10:01 AM

Methanol is a very dry fuel also (no lubricating properties). It tends to wear rings and pistons quicker than pump gas or race gas. It will also absorb water. Anything left in the tank at the end of the day should be drained. The carb will need to be drained as well. If not, you're just asking for problems. Jet sizes will need to be roughly double the size of pump gas jets so you will be using double the amount of fuel.

On the upside, methanol may help the engine to run cooler and possibly make a little more horsepower.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:16 PM

Wow...12 responses and nobody even answered the original question.

Sudco.com

They have methanol conversion kits for your FCR.

A couple of these opinions are correct though...you should drain it after you run it. and you do need to run a lubricant in the fuel. And to take full advantage of the fuel you should bump the compression to 14:1 minimum.

Your thumper will burn fuel like a two stroke, but it'll smell bitchen and be fun fun...

I hope you can read a plug and have lots of patients. A methanol plug should look just like a two stroke plug when its right.

• Joe_Jet

Posted November 07, 2005 - 06:32 PM

There are people running E85 in there cars, bikes and snowmobiles without jetting changes or draining the fuel or adding lubricants. E85 is 85% ethanol and 15% gasoline.

• tyler426f

Posted November 07, 2005 - 08:45 PM

Thanks Shawn Mc i'll check them out i really didn't want to resort to drilling out the jets... even though serveral of the guys i know who run full on drag banshee's just drilled there jets out and have had no problems with them for years... i know theres a difference in how thumpers and pingers respond to mods but what the hell its only money right lol

• iamsavi

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:00 AM

Oh, one other thing we had with the crf is that we used an old two stroke carb... (now u mention the two/four stroke thing)

• NE14MX

Posted November 08, 2005 - 12:26 PM

Why do it? How about 40% horsepower gain, sound fun? A long time ago, Moose did conversions on CR500's. Yea baby, over 100 hp. From the article I read (MXA or DB can't remember which) it was also very ridable. However, as Shawn points out, you should drain the fuel, change the carb to a non-alcohol one and run some regular gas through it. Why? The alcohol eats aluminum and seals. Moose also made a bracket to change the ignition timing.

• cwhaines

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:14 PM

We used to run mikuni conversions on the old speedway bikes. If you didn't run soldered brass floats, you developed problems with the plastic ones getting fuel logged. Methanol is hard on certain plastics. We also had to run tygon fuel line; the rubber stuff wouldn't hold up. The float needles used to corrode out in the old methanol amal carbs.

• RRGUY

Posted December 15, 2005 - 01:50 PM

I went & got a alky needle from carb parts warehouse. Get a few bigger pilot & main jets & a number drill set to custom enlarge the jets if need be. Start around 40% larger than what you are running.

• jfast426

Posted December 15, 2005 - 04:23 PM

I have ran alky in several bikes. We used to run it in a little yamaha three wheeler dragracing with 75% nitromethane, worked extremely good but it was 300 foot at a time. I also have a yamaha banshee flattracker that is on alky. It was a pretty easy conversion. The jetting and timing is all that is changed but we did burn a few holes in some pistons before finding the right combo.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Scared to buy another YZ450 ! by yam314

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  38 replies
Forums
Photo

09 y450 engine in 14 wr450 frame by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Engineering and Technology
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2010-13 Issues? by Calhoun117

• Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine acting up '98 YZ400F by bjm904

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

07 450 No Power by Mxdude91

• 14 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.