Trimming the fat on my WR450

14 replies to this topic
  • snmhanson

Posted November 06, 2005 - 09:40 AM

Alright, I did do a search and found some ideas but I was hoping I could get a good list of ideas to take some of the weight off my 05' WR450. I ordered an Acerbis front number plate to replace the light since I never ride at night and have removed the AIS which is marginal weight-wise but it's gone none-the-less. Obviously the battery and e-start would make the biggest difference but I only want to do that as a last resort. Any other ideas? I am running the stock muffler, will a slip-on make a noticeable difference? Thanks for any input.

Matt

• ARin

Posted November 06, 2005 - 09:48 AM

The stock 05 muffs are pretty lightweight...and most likely right in the same weight range as some of the aftermarket slip ons.

You could always remove the coolant overflow under the rear fender, swap for yz rear fender, remove kickstand....fill the tires with helium.....etc.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 06, 2005 - 12:10 PM

Matt, remove the kickstand and bracket, that's gotta be two or three pounds. Also, change out the rear WR fender for the YZ unit.. Those WR rear fenders are beefy... After those changes comes expensive stuff like Titanium.

• Dirtmizer

Posted November 06, 2005 - 12:20 PM

Start with diet pop, drink more water, then maybe eat more salad at meal time combined with regular excersize, I've shaved 15 pounds from my WR (waistline) while lowering the center of gravity :banghead: now I just need to find the time to ride it!! :banghead: maybe you don't have lb's to loose but at my age thats the obvious place to start!!

• Matty05

Posted November 06, 2005 - 01:30 PM

I went from stock exhaust to Procircuit Titanium GP system. I must say that I have saved a few pound there, the stock system is really heavy. I don't really know if I can feel the difference in weight because the WR is such a porker anyway but the power gain is nothing short of amazing. :banghead:

The Procircuit is pretty loud, I don't have to worry about noise, but other people seem to :banghead: if you don't run anything other than FMF Q or WB E2.

• patrickincc

Posted November 06, 2005 - 01:58 PM

I took allot of weight off my 2005 wr 450. I went out and bought a 2006 yellow yzf 250. :banghead:

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 06, 2005 - 07:18 PM

Start with diet pop, drink more water, then maybe eat more salad at meal time combined with regular excersize, I've shaved 15 pounds from my WR (waistline) while lowering the center of gravity now I just need to find the time to ride it!! maybe you don't have lb's to loose but at my age thats the obvious place to start!!

Thats what I need to do. I could drop about 50 unwanted pounds off of my 04 450. :banghead: I did put all YZ plastic including front number plate on. Took off the odometer. And shaved the seat, but I must admit weight wasnt the primary reason for those mods. When your 275 lbs and a crappy rider, its not all that big of a deal.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • wrkaholic

Posted November 06, 2005 - 08:12 PM

On my 02 WR426, I went with acerbis yz front number plate, YZ rear fender, lighter exhaust pipe, and got rid of all the stock odometer hardware and went with a Trail tech computer. The trail tech computer with the billet aluminum protector fit well with the YZ number plate. On my '02, I needed a barnum front hub adaptor to replace the stock front hub hardware for the odometer. It is not much work or expense and it does free up some weight. I am glad I did it.

• baha

Posted November 06, 2005 - 10:19 PM

I just went to a 13/51 and lost a lot from stock steel unit, chances are you are past this.

• JSanfilippo

Posted November 06, 2005 - 10:38 PM

I really don't think the WR 450f is that heavy (its about as heavy as my TTR). Going to the gym to get leaner and stronger will fix your problem

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:47 AM

I really don't think the WR 450f is that heavy (its about as heavy as my TTR). Going to the gym to get leaner and stronger will fix your problem

I agree.

• CISCO

Posted November 07, 2005 - 05:41 AM

I agree.

Jump on a 250 2 stroke through a whoop section and you will have a different opinion. :banghead:

Unless your going full out and remove the estart system, starter clutch, kcikstand etc...dont bother.

• snmhanson

Posted November 07, 2005 - 08:10 AM

Jump on a 250 2 stroke through a whoop section and you will have a different opinion. :banghead:

Unless your going full out and remove the estart system, starter clutch, kcikstand etc...dont bother.

Yeah, the reason I started this thread was that I just rode my friends 250SX. Now I know I will never get close to the weight of his bike and I really like everything else about my bike but there is not even a comparison between the two when it comes to weight. Anyway, it opened my eyes again to having a lighter bike. I'll be in hog heaven when technology advances enough to build a light four-stroke with an e-start. I guess when and if that happens we will see two strokes in the 175 lb. range though so we'll be in the same boat. Oh well, the world is full of trade-offs. Don't get me wrong here either, I love my bike and wouldn't want a different one - I just figure I might as well take off any unused weight.

Matt

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 07, 2005 - 08:52 AM

You know I'm a two stroke fan... I really like them, they have their place. But for some crazy reason I'm way faster on my fourstroke regardless of the weight. (and yes they are heavier).

• Joe Reitman

Posted November 07, 2005 - 02:13 PM

You know I'm a two stroke fan... I really like them, they have their place. But for some crazy reason I'm way faster on my fourstroke regardless of the weight. (and yes they are heavier).

I went thru whoop section at local sx track nearly as fast on WR as KX250. The difference is I wheelie 3 at a time on WR whereas I blitz them on KX. The WR is much less tiring. The WR also jumps well, you just get used to the weight. It easily does 60'+ jumps smoothly as long as you land the down ramp front end down and power on.

In the really tight stuff the kx is nimbler, but the WR carries most of its weight low and in the middle, so it is stable at 2-3 mph.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.