XRL still stalls after all these carb mods

34 replies to this topic
  • XpT__cpg_33

Posted May 07, 2006 - 09:16 AM

Did this ever get resovled?
I have the same problem on a 94 XR 600
Runs great but just will die at a stop light. Starts easy great response just a intermitent stall while off the throttle.

• goblin127

Posted May 07, 2006 - 09:43 AM

Did this ever get resovled?
I have the same problem on a 94 XR 600
Runs great but just will die at a stop light. Starts easy great response just a intermitent stall while off the throttle.

I ended up buying a mikuni flat slide from XRs only. Problem solved! And as an extra bonus it starts up so much easier.

• XpT__cpg_33

Posted May 07, 2006 - 10:18 AM

Thanks what model I want one to I am sick of the thing stalling at stop lights.

• Maniak

Posted May 07, 2006 - 03:34 PM

I would ask Eddie on this one, but make sure your fuel screw is adjusted for best idle then set the idle screw, I know there is no tach, but play with it on the up side. Mine came new with what I thought was a high idle, and after lowering it a little was hard starting and stalled sometimes, idled it up and no problem. I now have just the Dyno Jet kit, have not drilled the slide yet, and this bike purs and idles nice. Maybe check the float level, if its to high it can cause exess fuel to enter the intake at idle or when coming to a stop. Good Luck.

• XpT__cpg_33

Posted May 08, 2006 - 11:55 AM

what is the Dyno Jet Kit?

• rkuckkahn

Posted May 08, 2006 - 12:23 PM

Since there is no real pattern, other than at idle, for it quitting.

My experience suggests the CDI or the carb float/needle "sticking".

• Mooncruiser

Posted May 08, 2006 - 12:29 PM

I'm having the same problem with my '94. It's intermittent, but the damn thing tends to stall at stoplights. I'll be doing the smog removal and dynojet/Dave's mods soon. I'll check for the slosh thing, thanks Dave.
Chip

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XpT__cpg_33

Posted May 08, 2006 - 12:59 PM

Yes only at idle. To replace the cdi is there a better choice than the stock unit? Also what is Dave mod or Dyno jet?

Thanks

• Maniak

Posted May 08, 2006 - 06:54 PM

The xr650l's come jetted very lean , Daves mods are shimming the needle up, installing bigger jets and drilling the slide vent holes to allow the slide to open faster. The Dyno Jet Kit is a jet kit from Dyno Jet, and contains a new much richer and adjustable needle, a softer slide spring and bigger jets. I have not tried Daves mods, because even though you shim the needle up, to the rich side, it is still a lean needle, and drilling the slide allows it to open faster and so does the softer spring in the Dyno Jet Kit. There are people here that swear by Daves Mods. It was just my personal choice to use the DJ kit. Starts easy, runs very strong.

• XpT__cpg_33

Posted May 09, 2006 - 07:10 AM

Thank you i searched dyno jet and cant find it.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 09, 2006 - 08:12 AM

Thank you i searched dyno jet and cant find it.

The dyno jet kit is a product from dynojet to charge you $50 for the dave mods, except not as good and without real keihin jets.

It includes a larger main jet (with a # you can't compare to a keihin jet size) and a needle designed to compensate for the too-small pilot jet (using the main to compensate for the low-speed circuit- a no-no for sure!)

The kit also contains a softer spring for the CV-slide, which in my opinion allows the slide to open *more* for a given rpm/throttle combo, but doesn't really allow the slide to open *faster*.

Dave

Dave

• XpT__cpg_33

Posted May 09, 2006 - 05:57 PM

Hey Dave
Is the a post for your mod?
Please help me.

Thank you

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 10, 2006 - 07:47 AM

Hey Dave
Is the a post for your mod?
Please help me.
Thank you

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/

and look for the XR650L carb mods (and other goodies)

Dave

• XpT__cpg_33

Posted May 10, 2006 - 02:55 PM

I have a XR 600 1994 will that work?

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 11, 2006 - 08:13 AM

I have a XR 600 1994 will that work?

The mods are to fix some inherent CV carb problems, and a non-adjustable needle.

The XR600 was not saddled with these street-compromises.

Dave

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.