XRL still stalls after all these carb mods

34 replies to this topic
  • goblin127

Posted November 06, 2005 - 08:24 AM

04 XRL with daves mods still stalls from time to time. I have done all the mods,and the bike runs great with the exception of it stalling when I come to a stop some times. Seriously thinking of buying a mikuni for it. Any one with any ideas.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 06, 2005 - 09:57 AM

04 XRL with daves mods still stalls from time to time. I have done all the mods,and the bike runs great with the exception of it stalling when I come to a stop some times. Seriously thinking of buying a mikuni for it. Any one with any ideas.

Not trying to be Captain Obvious here, but what is the idle RPM setting?

Is it adequate, but just dies when coming to a stop?

If you increase the idle setting so the idle RPM's are higher (but not excessive), will it still stall on you?

How is the gas? Fresh, decent brand?

What's your altitude?

Correct spark plug? Correct gapping? Plug wire OK? No arcing or corrosion?

Carb is clean? No sludge/varnish build up?

• goblin127

Posted November 06, 2005 - 10:33 AM

The idle speed seems to be ok (no tach) I have played with the idle up and down. And yes all of the obvious have been checked. Most of the time its fine but it it has this nasty habit of this suprise stall. And when it does stall,it takes just alittle bit longer to start than normal.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 06, 2005 - 10:16 PM

Have you (can you) check for air leaks in the manifold, etc.?

Are you running the correct pilot jet for your environment?

• captb

Posted November 06, 2005 - 10:32 PM

I had a 93 650L that did the same thing, the CDI was weak (intermittant) at idle, I left it idle and wiggled the wires at the CDI and it would cut off, tried cleaning and crimping connectors but no good, I put on a new CDI and never had another problem, try tapping on the CDI allso while running see if it cuts out.

• goblin127

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:25 AM

I will try the cdi that sounds like its worth a shot. I have looked for sir leaks also but sofar havent found one.

• oats

Posted November 07, 2005 - 08:54 PM

I have the same problem after going from the Dyno Jet Kit to Dave's Mods this past weekend. In the last 300 miles the Honda ran equal to if not better, with the exception of the suprise stall. I did happen to over oil my UNI which is still dripping from the air box.

• ghoti

Posted November 08, 2005 - 05:56 AM

Dumb question, how much gas in your tank? As you come to a stop all the gas would go to the front of the tank, possibly starving the carb. Try the reserve position for grins.

• goblin127

Posted November 08, 2005 - 06:40 AM

It stalls no matter if its full,half or almost on researve. But you got me thinkin about that gas filter that is built in to the clark tank; I think that deserves to be looked into. thanx!

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 08, 2005 - 07:00 AM

It stalls no matter if its full,half or almost on researve. But you got me thinkin about that gas filter that is built in to the clark tank; I think that deserves to be looked into. thanx!

Carb float/needle is working correctly?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:00 AM

Goblin, Oats,
are you running stock exhaust?
What jets?
How many turns out on the screw?
Are you sure the shim wasn't too thick?
Do you have the short pilot jet?

Dave

• goblin127

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:31 AM

I am running an XRS only full exhaust,58 slow 160 main (both are kehien) jets 2.5 on the screwand the washer I am using is .025. spark plug color is off white slight brown alsl I am aboat 150 ft above sea level. I have just adjusted the screw to 2 1/4 I will check that out . Oh and the pilot jet is longer than stock series 22. thanx!

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 08, 2005 - 03:13 PM

Goblin, with the long pilot sometimes the slosh baffle in the bowl can cover the hole in the pilot jet.

I had a stalling problem with the long pilot jet and had to trim the slosh baffle to stop it.

Dave

• goblin127

Posted November 08, 2005 - 03:52 PM

When I had that carb off the other day I tried moving that slosh bafle around to see if it would interfear with the jet,but it doesnt seem like it can. But Iwill do that just to rule it out. Thanx again !

• oats

Posted November 08, 2005 - 09:28 PM

stock exhaust
55 158 Kehien jets at sea level
2.5 turns out
.020 shim
over oiled UNI filter

• XR650L_Dave

Posted November 09, 2005 - 09:05 AM

Short pilot?

Or was the over-oiled filter the culprit?

D

• oats

Posted November 09, 2005 - 07:41 PM

Not sure if I installed a long pilot or short. How can I tell? I just asked my local dealer for the 55 and 158 jets. Even after a good wringing and some blotting with rags my UNI continues to drip but less each day.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 10, 2005 - 04:09 AM

Not sure if I installed a long pilot or short. How can I tell? I just asked my local dealer for the 55 and 158 jets. Even after a good wringing and some blotting with rags my UNI continues to drip but less each day.

I have a UNI in my 250R, but still have the stock paper element in the 650L.

I think I am going to pick up a spare UNI so I can have one clean, oiled, and _drained_, ready to go on the shelf. :applause:

• ghoti

Posted November 10, 2005 - 05:40 AM

The short pilot will be down inside the well, long almost flush. What kind of oil are you using on your filter?

• oats

Posted November 10, 2005 - 12:38 PM

The 158 is protruding slightly and the 55 is deep in the well although it is much longer than the main. My UNI is oiled with UNI oil. I'm going to re blot the filter again and I'm leaving on a 300 to 500 mile trip from sea level to about 7000 ft. Hopefully things work their way out and all is well.
If I do have athe short pilot, what effect does that have?

Related Content

Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  29 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  186 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.