Which 400 do I sell, the 1999 YZ or WR

13 replies to this topic
  • srhines67

Posted November 05, 2005 - 09:25 PM

Yep, I have both of them. I'm just getting into riding again and do mostly medium to tight trail riding. The WR is just so heavy but has those extras that make it easier to cruise dependably in the woods. However, it just doesn't have that lite feeling that the YZ has. The WR seems to run cooler as well. Anyone have any personal experiences to help me make this excruciating decision. It's just driving me plain nuts but one has to go. :banghead:

• dbailey223

Posted November 05, 2005 - 10:37 PM

For medium to tight trails, I would think the WR would be better. I say "think" because I have only ridden the 03 WR 450. A friend of mine has the same bike, but his ridden the 03 YZ 450, and both of them had a real hard time in the tighter trails with the YZ.

• ARin

Posted November 05, 2005 - 10:42 PM

How in the world are we supposed to make this decision for you???

We have no clue how/where you ride...or which bike you prefer.

It is a super-personal decision....if it were me, id take the wr....because of the riding i do...and i prefer the gearing/e-start/headlight of the wr.

• baha

Posted November 05, 2005 - 10:52 PM

ARin, just pop a few holes in one and it will make the thought processes a little less debatable :banghead:

• ARin

Posted November 05, 2005 - 10:53 PM

no can do, that rifle aint legal in cali.

• baha

Posted November 05, 2005 - 10:56 PM

No bullet knows when it reaches the state line

• Bamster

Posted November 06, 2005 - 07:14 AM

Yep, I have both of them. I'm just getting into riding again and do mostly medium to tight trail riding.

Sell the loudest one.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • srhines67

Posted November 06, 2005 - 02:57 PM

Everyone says the WR is better on tight trails becuase of the timing, power delivery and gearing I guess. But, the thing weighs 272 pounds and feels a lot heavier than the YZ. There is no way you can slam around a 272 pound bike as well as a 252 pound bike in my mind. And, the 99 WR feels much heavier than the newer WR 450's due to a higher center of gravity. How do you guys figure the WR will be better on tight trails?

ARin, I ride mostly medium tight trails like small service trails in the woods. So, now you have the info, make the decision because I can't seem to. :banghead:

• srhines67

Posted November 06, 2005 - 02:58 PM

OK, I loading the rifle now.

• CISCO

Posted November 06, 2005 - 03:13 PM

Sell both bikes on Ebay and buy the 05WR450 I told you about on Friday :banghead:

I gave Sean your #, he may call with a price next week.

Zac

• dbailey223

Posted November 06, 2005 - 05:51 PM

I believe the YZ's power delivery and stock gearing/sprockets make it more difficult to ride on the tight trails, even though it is lighter and easier for some to throw around the trails.

• Matty05

Posted November 06, 2005 - 06:08 PM

Decisions are hard indeed.

Put the wr tank on the YZ and keep the YZ. If it is too much of a handfull, you can gear it taller.

• srhines67

Posted November 06, 2005 - 08:25 PM

Right on. A newer 450 sounds like a good choice if my checkbook can handle it.

• ARin

Posted November 06, 2005 - 09:05 PM

Right on. A newer 450 sounds like a good choice if my checkbook can handle it.

now THAT is a decision i can get behind. :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.