03' WR450 kicking back when starting

4 replies to this topic
  • dbone

Posted November 04, 2005 - 06:58 PM

So yamaha paid for my kick starter breaking twice...If I use the kick start it kicks back at me,it's not bad but it does kick back does anyboby else have this problem?

• jonrichert

Posted November 04, 2005 - 08:02 PM

you have to make sure you get it past TDC before you kick it. slowly kick it over until just after the "hard spot" on the engine's revolution... then give it a mighty kick and you'll be fine without kickback.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Doug R

Posted November 04, 2005 - 09:28 PM

Onre good thing about 6' 3 and weighing 260 lbs,NO kick back. :banghead:

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted November 05, 2005 - 08:27 AM

If you try to start it with the throttle open it will kick back. Keep your hand off the throttle when starting.

• hybridz77

Posted November 05, 2005 - 02:44 PM

My WR doesn't kick back but this could fix the broken pieces for good!

I recently purchased a 03 WR with a broken kickstart shaft which also cracked the outer engine case when the shaft severed. When I was shopping for replacement parts on Yamaha's EPC, I noticed, that in 04 Yamaha changed the kickstarter gear assembly which also houses the broken shaft my WR came with. And in 04 they also changed the right outer engine case. Needless to say Yamaha must have realized the shaft diameter for the kickstart assembly wasn't up to the task in 03 of that meaty 450. So in 04 they modified the opening for the kickstart shaft in the right casing, and increased kickstart shaft diameter. All 04 parts bolted right up oil passages all the same, everything fit like OEM parts should. My WR is a mean ride now kicks easy, E-starts like a charm, and I purchased the bike and fixxed it for under 3 grand, all free mods and jetted and damn hairy! :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.