Guttless wr 450 in denver

16 replies to this topic
  • steelman01

Posted November 04, 2005 - 06:57 PM

I just bought this bright and shiny new wr and I am very :banghead: with the hp. I have already cut the gray wire cut the throttle stop and removed the smaller tube on the pipe p.s. thanks to everyone for all the threads on that but what is next???? still haven't seen the arm yanking hp that everyone talks about for the wr oh and the air box to

• bkej

Posted November 04, 2005 - 07:29 PM

I have the 05 450 and cut the wire, removed snorkels, remove throttle stop and pipe insert, etc. Also, installed power now valve between air box and carb, Boysen accelerator pump cover and the zip tie fuel screw. Rejetted the carb (I believe it is now a 165 or 170 main (up 5 from stock) and a 48 pilot jet. The horsepower is great and the zip tie fuel screw makes fine tuning at different altitudes very easy. I've heard that the leo vance pipe makes it even snappier all the way around. Even better than the W2

• Just034

Posted November 04, 2005 - 08:56 PM

If you have not rejetted you are not even close to your potential.

• Just034

Posted November 04, 2005 - 09:00 PM

What is your altitude up there in John Denver Country?

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 04, 2005 - 10:19 PM

What is your altitude up there in John Denver Country?

Just a guess, they call it the mile high city, so around 5200 ft? :banghead:

• Just034

Posted November 05, 2005 - 09:04 AM

OK let me rephrase that. What elevation do you ride is what I am saying? Yes the city of Denver is 5200 but there are places 20 minutes away where lots of people ride up to and above 10,000. I was born in utah and spend most ime at 4500-5000 feet but most of the riding is up to 9000 feet or higher. So is he riding around town at 5200 feet (I doubt it). My question for those who have a brain and can read between the lines is "what is the altitude you are RIDING at?" So thanks for the smart ass answer but it really is not helpful considereing we still don't know what elevation he is riding at.

• vantolr

Posted November 05, 2005 - 09:17 AM

I have the 05 450 and cut the wire, removed snorkels, remove throttle stop and pipe insert, etc. Also, installed power now valve between air box and carb, Boysen accelerator pump cover and the zip tie fuel screw. Rejetted the carb (I believe it is now a 165 or 170 main (up 5 from stock) and a 48 pilot jet. The horsepower is great and the zip tie fuel screw makes fine tuning at different altitudes very easy. I've heard that the leo vance pipe makes it even snappier all the way around. Even better than the W2

What he said........

• steelman01

Posted November 05, 2005 - 11:58 AM

thanks for the input average elev. 5000 to 9000 here that we ride on. has anyone done the big bore lits and where do you get them

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • dman450f

Posted November 05, 2005 - 02:41 PM

thanks for the input average elev. 5000 to 9000 here that we ride on. has anyone done the big bore lits and where do you get them

Before you start thinking about a big bore kit you REALLY! need to rejet your bike.....its not even close , try the jd kit and be happy :banghead:

• baha

Posted November 05, 2005 - 09:56 PM

One week ago mine was bone stock- Kinda like riding a Hoover
Add JD jetting, quick shot, YZ throttle stop, as well as A big gun evo x, I have not messed with the airbox yet ( Plan to do some good streams ), Now twist the wrist and watch the sky appear!!!! I have not done the gray wire yet either, Attempting to figure out if this will hurt more then help with 91 oct pump gas???? If you still want more lower the counter to a 13- I am doing that for tight trails in the small mountains in Northern California.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 05, 2005 - 10:25 PM

[/QUOTE]My question for those who have a brain and can read between the lines is "what is the altitude you are RIDING at?" So thanks for the smart ass answer but it really is not helpful considereing we still don't know what elevation he is riding at.[/QUOTE] Ya, sorry about that. I didnt think about the logistics of your question :banghead: . I didnt mean for it to come out that way. I should have known what you were getting at, as I have the same elevation changes here in Montana. My bad. :lol: I do have a brain however and I ride anything from 3200 ft to 10,000 ft and I never feel 'gutless' with no changes between rides. Sometimes I think the whole altitude thing is way overplayed, thats all. :banghead: Some RIDES start at 4500 ft and go all the way to 10,000+ ft. I guess I have a jetting combo that works good for most of the situations I ride in. I just wish I knew what it was. My dealer set it up for me when I got the bike, I will have to look into it.

• Johnny34

Posted November 06, 2005 - 12:58 PM

I did all the free mods too, but the greatest performance increase came from re-jetting. Bone stock the WR uses a 165 main, 45 pilot, and an 80 pilot air jet. My riding elevation varies in the low thousands (1500 ~ 3000 feet) so I re-jetted to the following: 168 main, 48 pilot, stock paj (but changing to 100 soon) and a Zip-Ty Fuel Screw. I didn't touch the needle position. These changes made a huge difference in my throttle response and overall performance. Plus, the jets cost about $3 bucks each so it's a cheap upgrade.

• ARin

Posted November 06, 2005 - 02:26 PM

Dont mind Just034....he has tourretts. :banghead:

• baha

Posted November 06, 2005 - 05:02 PM

Are implying a taco short of a combo plate???

• Just034

Posted November 06, 2005 - 05:20 PM

"Ya, sorry about that. I didnt think about the logistics of your question . I didnt mean for it to come out that way. I should have known what you were getting at, as I have the same elevation changes here in Montana. My bad. I do have a brain however and I ride anything from 3200 ft to 10,000 ft and I never feel 'gutless' with no changes between rides. Sometimes I think the whole altitude thing is way overplayed, thats all. Some RIDES start at 4500 ft and go all the way to 10,000+ ft. I guess I have a jetting combo that works good for most of the situations I ride in. I just wish I knew what it was. My dealer set it up for me when I got the bike, I will have to look into it."

Hey Black n Blue, sorry I replied with a bad attitude thanks for not taking offense. I agree Jetting is a comprimise most of the time getting it close to the conditions that are always changing. Take care bro.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted November 06, 2005 - 06:35 PM

All is well that ends well. Sometimes I need simmered down anyway. Group hug. I just think its cool to have this forum to help each other learn. I know it has helps me in countless ways. :banghead:

• steelman01

Posted November 06, 2005 - 08:40 PM

hey all thanks for the input added fmf pipe and rejetted wow oh and also went to 13 tooth sprocket rip your :banghead: dang hands off I'm glad to say that I now love the wr and will not complain again :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.