Checking valve clearance on 99 YZ400

4 replies to this topic
  • Extrapolate

Posted November 04, 2005 - 06:37 PM

Do most of you apply RTV to the valve cover when putting it back on after you remove it to check for valve clearance? Also should I look for the long set of feeler gauges (I don't have a set yet).

PS I love my YZ! Thanks to all the TT folks who lead me to buying this bike when I asked for advise months ago! Enjoying some nice Fall riding here in Western NY....hoping snow will stay away for awhile!

• NAFLASH

Posted November 04, 2005 - 06:42 PM

You can put a very thin coat of RTV on but its really not needed at all, ive had the cover off numerous times and the seal is still good and no leaks, and plus you take that chance of the silicone breaking off and blocking an oil passage, therefore seizing the motor. Yes a good set of long metric feeler gauges would be a good thing to have.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2005 - 07:51 PM

If the gasket is willing to stay where it belongs, I use no sealer. If it needs sealer for it not to leak, it's time for a new one. You may want to tack it in place, but RTV is a poor choice for a heavy rubber gasket like that in any case, and you're better off with something on the order of a thin adhesive type sealer.

• Extrapolate

Posted November 05, 2005 - 10:34 PM

Thanks a lot guys appreciate the advise!

• joshb

Posted November 06, 2005 - 08:29 PM

I've never used sealant even after I replaced the gasket.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.