WR400 Weight

4 replies to this topic
  • EsSk83r4L1fe

Posted November 04, 2005 - 06:34 PM

I just sold my KTM 125sx and bought a 1999 WR400, (No E-Start) the bike weighs about 50 pounds more than my last. Being 16 years old its pretty tough for me to have to drag the bike around while stuck on trails, i was considering doing some things to lighten the bike up a bit but was wondering if that would affect the handling while doing hillclimbs and such.. Thanks

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted November 05, 2005 - 08:36 AM

I weighed my '99 WR the other day with 2/3 tank of gas. It came in at 272 pounds. I also have a lot of accessories on my bike that add to the weight: 2 SLA batteries and a rectifier (about 2-1/2 pounds), a GPS and mount (about a pound), Devol radiator guards (an extra half pound), an oversized tank (don't know how much that weighs extra), mirror (a few ounces) turn signals (another 1-1/2 pound), left side ignition guard (a few ounces), handlebar switch set (half pound), license plate and mount (half pound or so), and bunch of extra wiring for the lights. That adds up to, let's see, 2.5 + 1 + 0.5 + 0.5 + 2 + 0.5 + 0.5 = 7.5. If my bike didn't have all that stuff it would weigh about 265 with 2/3 tank of gas. 2 gallons of gas weighs about 14 pounds so let's say the bike weighs 251 with all fluids except gas. I also have an aluminum subframe so that probably saves a pound or so off of the stock bike's weight.

A YZ seat and tank sould save some weight. Taking off the headlight and replacing the stock rear fender with an MX fender would also save weight. A 19" rear wheel also weighs less than the 18" one does due to the tire weight.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted November 05, 2005 - 03:30 PM

Removing the coolant overflow will help just keep an eye on your coolant level. Obviously go to YZ plastics, remove the kickstand, etc....

Good Luck :banghead:

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 05, 2005 - 05:42 PM

I have just learned how to use the bike's power to help me. I do see where trying to back the bike up and what not is a problem though, that's why I try not to get into those situations. :lol: Anyway though, trying to lighten it up can be a good thing, but watch what you do, somethings will make life worse for you. Like if you remove the coolant resevior, you can save a little weight but if you get stuck in one of these spots where you are talking about having to manhandle the bike, you'll be quickly blowing coolant out and won't be able to get it back. :banghead: Also the 19in wheel can save weight but you are also more prone to pinch flats if you ride if rough terrain. Just be cautious of what all you do. :banghead:

• kevin1209

Posted November 05, 2005 - 05:48 PM

You are 16 years old, and are complaining about getting thrown around? Us 30+ riders probably have 1/2 the energy, but twice the smarts as a 16 year old. That's why we can keep up with you youngsters. :banghead:
If you aren't racing it, just learn how to make your bike do what you want it to. A fully loaded WR400 with a rider who knows his bike will beat 90% of the other bikes out there. Once you learn to master the pain in the a$$ decompression lever, this bike is almost bulletproof. Remember, you have gone from a 125 to a 400, which is a big step. Stick with it and you won't be sorry. :banghead:

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.