lightspeed fork guard question

9 replies to this topic
  • jermy01

Posted November 04, 2005 - 02:35 PM

so i just routed my brakeline to CR style due to the stupid routing that exposed my brakeline to the stupid rock that sliced my cable and left me w/o front brakes. so of course the bracket they give you doesn't work when compressed. so, if i get these fork guards, all i have to do is mount my old bracket up top, and everything will work right? the cable wont hit the fork? do these fork guards wrap more on the inside of the fork to prevent this...i cant tell from the pics. a picture of the inside of the fork would be great, but they are all from the outside. thank for you responses in advance. this stupid problem is dissalowing me to ride this weekend.

o ya, what about the plastic ones? do they work just as good as the carbon fiber ones?

one more question.....do u use the thing at the top that wraps around the inside of the fork guard to keep it from going forward.....cuz mines broke (the white plastic thing)

• Ga426owner

Posted November 04, 2005 - 02:56 PM

I have the plastic ones - they work great....Just install them and use the cable /bracket & nuts provided. I Also used safety wire to keep all movement from happening....I removed all plastic off the forks - not needed
The cable must be the shorter CR routing brake cable - not the stock cable - They cover the fork legs perfectly - a much better setup than stock period!

• jermy01

Posted November 04, 2005 - 03:38 PM

thanks alot......gotta order some so i can ride next weekend

• grayracer513

Posted November 04, 2005 - 10:47 PM

The cable must be the shorter CR routing brake cable - not the stock cable -

Not really. When I first set them up on mine, I didn't have time for the brake hose conversion. I used the OEM clamp and bolts with the nuts that came with the guards and just clamped the hose farther up. The brake hose cover and the retainer clip at the caliper kept the lower end of the stock hose out of trouble.

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 05, 2005 - 09:42 AM

FYi use your stock fork guides with the Litespeed units. Just cut off the tabs so it is just a ring around the forks. This will keep the guard from rubbing the bell on the forks and wearing into them.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 05, 2005 - 12:08 PM

FYi use your stock fork guides with the Litespeed units. Just cut off the tabs so it is just a ring around the forks. This will keep the guard from rubbing the bell on the forks and wearing into them.

I cut a band of plastic off the ends of a 2 1/2" ABS drain elbow, split it on one side, and snapped it in the groove where the old guides went. You do need something there to prevent the guards rubbing the seal bell on occasion.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 05, 2005 - 02:03 PM

I cut a band of plastic off the ends of a 2 1/2" ABS drain elbow, split it on one side, and snapped it in the groove where the old guides went. You do need something there to prevent the guards rubbing the seal bell on occasion.

I guess I am lucky. I do not have those ugly things (plastic guides)anymore and no damage to my forks - the guards are so stiff they do not move back and forth - in fact I had more damage form the stupid stock setup -
The shorter CR Routed cable I guess adds some stability to that side - the other is not going anywhere

• grayracer513

Posted November 05, 2005 - 04:44 PM

Yeah, they're pretty good. But look at an '05, and you'll see that Yamaha replaced the "big ugly guides" (they really are, aren't they?) with small nylon rub rings held in place by a wire clip. Just in case the guards get knocked out of line by brush or something.

• RCannon

Posted November 05, 2005 - 04:58 PM

I wonder if the 05 guides will fit the older bikes. I tought about ordering some but never did.

• grayracer513

Posted November 06, 2005 - 06:02 PM

I think they will, but they're pretty proud of them, if you know what I mean.. $$

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.