over filled the oil & blew out the crank seal!

3 replies to this topic
  • snaggletooth

Posted November 04, 2005 - 01:58 PM

Just got back from a Glamis trip the other day with blown out crank seal.

I have over filled the BRP once in the past and suffered an oil soaked air filter, dirty spark plug, and a smoke machine for a tail pipe. I have heard that if the above happends your lucky because you could blow out an oil seal instead.

Well, I found out the hard way what seal you guys were talking about. A small portion of the oil seal at the cranck was pushed out. I thought that I was smart by removing the front sprocket and tucking it back in. It worked well enough (I hope) to get one last night ride in. I say "I hope" because, at first, it held up fine but upon returning to camp after a night ride it left a big oil puddle when parked. At least I know that some oil was in it during the last ride. It also puddled up oil in the bed of my truck after loading the wounded pig, I'll call that another good sign.

• BlueBayou

Posted November 04, 2005 - 05:38 PM

out of curiousity, what year is your BRP?

I too have had the oil soaked filter, however that was the dealer that overfilled it the first time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • husky123

Posted November 04, 2005 - 05:53 PM

Can someone please explain how you blow seals by overfilling a dry sump?!

• kehale

Posted November 04, 2005 - 07:40 PM

Can someone please explain how you blow seals by overfilling a dry sump?!

http://www.xr650r.us/tech/lube.pdf

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.