Buildup in oil filter

17 replies to this topic
  • bentru

Posted November 04, 2005 - 11:59 AM

Would someone be so kind as to tell me what this stuff is? Also, what needs to be done. This is a close up of a 98 YZ400F oil filter after a routine oil change.

Posted Image

• TD-3

Posted November 04, 2005 - 12:14 PM

In my case that would be "the beginning of the end" of the connecting rod main bearing :banghead:

Good Luck!

• Ga426owner

Posted November 04, 2005 - 12:41 PM

it does not look good - did you go through some deep water recently? looks like rocks and crap in there with metal...

• curtains23

Posted November 04, 2005 - 01:02 PM

If this picture is legit its not good, if the engine has had a recent strip down the coloured bits could be gasket sealent, other than that your engine is vegetarian ??

• bentru

Posted November 04, 2005 - 01:55 PM

Thanks for the help, even if it is bad news. The weird thing is that is still runs strong. I haven't noticed any drop in performance. Should I deal with it now? Or continue riding until I see a performance drop?

• yamahauler44

Posted November 04, 2005 - 03:24 PM

deal with it now, while you still can!

• vector6

Posted November 04, 2005 - 04:02 PM

The weird thing is that is still runs strong. I haven't noticed any drop in performance.

someone once said...." they always run best just before they blow up"

• Pincushion

Posted November 04, 2005 - 05:10 PM

Thats some strange contamination my friend. I cant recall anything inside the motor that would resemble those colors, even the sealed bearings dont match that color. Is that a peice of wire on the third cleat from the bottom?

Where the hell you been riding at?

• Ga426owner

Posted November 04, 2005 - 05:25 PM

Thanks for the help, even if it is bad news. The weird thing is that is still runs strong. I haven't noticed any drop in performance. Should I deal with it now? Or continue riding until I see a performance drop?

have you had the bike a long time?
Did you ride in deep water? Or start it up in water?
Colors look like rock to me ...

DO TELL

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bentru

Posted November 05, 2005 - 08:54 AM

I have owed the bike for almost 2 years. I have not been in any deep water.

This is getting strange because I scraped some of the stuff out and put a magnet up to it. There seemed to be no attraction. You are right, there are little strings in this stuff. Here is another close up. Could it be clutch?

http://zour.net/CloseUp.jpg

• rasta

Posted November 05, 2005 - 11:29 AM

i have been finding sand grits and gold and siver metal flakes since engine rebuild 2 years ago, bike runs fine,never even rode in sand, water or mud

• SXP

Posted November 05, 2005 - 07:14 PM

third cleat from the bottom?

"Pleat" - Sorry, couldn't help it :banghead:

• REBELEX

Posted November 05, 2005 - 07:34 PM

LOL
If that were my engine i'd be taking it down right now! Have you checked your frame filter aswell to see what its like :banghead: They look to be rocks for sure.

• Pincushion

Posted November 06, 2005 - 06:12 AM

"Pleat" - Sorry, couldn't help it :banghead:

My apologies Professor. :banghead:
Still waiting for your calll for a ride.

• bentru

Posted November 06, 2005 - 07:35 PM

Where is the frame filter?

• joshb

Posted November 06, 2005 - 08:19 PM

Right below the frame oil drain bolt. It's behind the glide plate.

• SXP

Posted November 06, 2005 - 10:45 PM

My apologies Professor. :banghead:
Still waiting for your calll for a ride.

Could have used some company today. Went to Big Bear/Arrowhead. Hooked up with a TTer, but he was so over his head, I pointed him to the trucks at the first opportunity and went on my own merry way. Got about 85 miles in. Next time....

• crashyz426

Posted November 10, 2005 - 03:21 PM

I bought my 426 3 months ago and the first time I changed my filter, before I ever rode it, looked like that. I have no idea how often the guy before me changed it, but the bike is an absolute beast!!! Since then I have put in a ready filter, and havent seen anything like that on the filter, but little bits of gold and silver seem to be in the oil, when it drains onto the black plastic of the drain pan. Im going to just change it regularly until something goes wrong.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.