Athena 480 kit Anyone try this????

17 replies to this topic
  • Ga426owner

Posted November 03, 2005 - 03:36 PM

YZ450F 02-04 Athena 480 BIG BORE 98mm
Complete bolt-on cylinder kit. Includes complete new Athena cylinder, Forged piston, Rings, Clips, Pin and gaskets.

found one new for 649.00

Anyone had experience with this on a YZF450......I am wanting the good, the bad, and the ugly

I may turn my 03 into a bigbore... :banghead:

I found this also - http://www.faliconcr...com/yamyz45.htm

Anyone using this for MX????

mo money......... :banghead:

• yzf450jack

Posted November 03, 2005 - 06:41 PM

try one of these Yamaha 523cc Big Bore Stroker Kit look here :lol: :busted: :banghead: http://www.maxpower-...yz-wr523ice.htm they claim 61hp :busted: :banghead:

• 02YZ426

Posted November 03, 2005 - 07:11 PM

try one of these Yamaha 523cc Big Bore Stroker Kit look here :banghead: :lol: :banghead: http://www.maxpower-...yz-wr523ice.htm

Very nice!! I wonder what kind of horsepower gain you would get from a kit like that? I added that site to my favorites so I can find it again when I win the lottary!! Thats some major cash for that setup.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 04, 2005 - 07:00 AM

Yes very cool and interesting....but has anyone ever seen or been a YZF450 MX bike owner that has tried any of these - Motards do not count......

• ncmountainman

Posted November 04, 2005 - 09:06 AM

ooh-ooh, i want that! maybe if i quit drinking beer for a couple weeks i can save enough money :banghead:

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 04, 2005 - 09:12 AM

ooh-ooh, i want that! maybe if i quit drinking beer for a couple weeks i can save enough money :banghead:

Ha Ha Ha that is a good one NC! You quit drinking for more than a day is impossible! :banghead:

• ncmountainman

Posted November 04, 2005 - 11:57 AM

well maybe after next season when its time for rebuild anyway,what exactly are ya sayin' dan,i go for days without beer sometimes; when the shines runnin' :banghead: i'd like to see how it does real world before plunkin' down $3k :banghead:

• phat_450f

Posted November 04, 2005 - 02:29 PM

ok or here is this question. why mess with a good thing already.....if your not satisfied with what the 450 pulls in power. You need to go get a cr or a kx500....and if your not happy with that throw a streetbike motor in your chasis. then if your still not happy run a top fuel drag car....

• Ga426owner

Posted November 04, 2005 - 03:02 PM

ok or here is this question. why mess with a good thing already.....if your not satisfied with what the 450 pulls in power. You need to go get a cr or a kx500....and if your not happy with that throw a streetbike motor in your chasis. then if your still not happy run a top fuel drag car....

I respectfully disagree - the 488 should be perfect blend of power and torque...for this. I want to find out about durability. And my suspension is awesome .I don't want no stinkin 500 2smoke....

But it seems no one has used this kit for MX yet...so TOT :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ncmountainman

Posted November 04, 2005 - 03:59 PM

mo' power, mo' betta is my motto,especially with my 290lb a$$. i've ridden both kx and cr 5oo's,a couple 490's,and a couple 400's and nothing beats the feel of a ground pounding torque monster 4 stroke :banghead: i ride my yz about to capacity,more power would be welcome sometimes :banghead:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 04, 2005 - 05:23 PM

mo' power, mo' betta is my motto,especially with my 290lb a$$. i've ridden both kx and cr 5oo's,a couple 490's,and a couple 400's and nothing beats the feel of a ground pounding torque monster 4 stroke :banghead: i ride my yz about to capacity,more power would be welcome sometimes :banghead:

amen bro!

• yzf450jack

Posted November 04, 2005 - 05:58 PM

My 470 gives me 3 hp and few more lbs of torque I did the big bore at the same time the 5 speed went in it and it's a great trail beast now :banghead:

• The_Blue_One

Posted November 04, 2005 - 09:51 PM

I have the 488 ice cube big bore on my wr and i love it so far. I have about 25 hours on it so far and haven't had one problem. I'll be pulling it apart in another 25 hours or so and making sure it still looks good. I'm a novice mxer at best and have ridden it on a couple tracks and it's a rocket. I can't believe i waited so long to do a big bore on my bike :banghead: For my big butt(290lbs) i think it's a must :banghead:

• Ga426owner

Posted November 05, 2005 - 02:06 PM

I am checking with Eric Gorr to see if he has the 488 overbore kit - that way I can just send my cylinder to him...a lot cheaper

• kizzle426

Posted November 05, 2005 - 02:43 PM

Do they make anything like that for a 426? I'd definitely check into that. I'm not buying a 450 till a couple of years from now when the 06's price starts to drop.

• FaliconKen

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:42 AM

I respectfully disagree - the 488 should be perfect blend of power and torque...for this. I want to find out about durability. And my suspension is awesome .I don't want no stinkin 500 2smoke....

But it seems no one has used this kit for MX yet...so TOT :applause:

There are several guys using the 502 for Dirt Track (JR Schnabel - Yamaha Factory Team) and MotoCross (can't say.. under NDA). The Stroker Crank can be used with a smaller cylinder to get it back down to 450cc, or with big cylinders for around 534cc. With a heavy crank (+2 lbs) it is actually quite easy to ride - power everywhere. Some guys like to practice on a 502, then race their 450. It makes it feel like a 125.

We've also got a long rod billet crank for the YZ450F, that uses a wider heavy duty cam chain.

• snow

Posted November 11, 2005 - 08:00 PM

So can a guy build something 40cc bigger and send the cylinder off without having to buy a new one??? Also I’ve built lots of big bore 2 strokes but how reliable are these kits and how much tuning does it require to keep one running good and what’s the average cost of a kit??? Also how much HP increase can you expect out of these kits???

• FaliconKen

Posted November 14, 2005 - 06:02 AM

So can a guy build something 40cc bigger and send the cylinder off without having to buy a new one???

That COULD be done, but its not the route I would go. The Yamaha cylinder was designed for 95mm, so when you bore it, the walls get thinner. The nature of all sand cast cylinders is you get different wall thicknesses from one to another. So if you get a thicker one, and don't bore it too far, it can work. If you get a thin one and/or bore it too far, you might crank the cylinder. Bad.

Cylinders (like Max Power's Ice Cube, Athena and nMotion's cast cylinders) are designed from the start to be a larger bore, and should hold up better. I have lots of customers that use the Ice Cube and it works _very_ well.

Do keep in mind that when you go to a heavier piston, you should consider having the crank balanced. If you don't, the increase in vibration can reduce the ability of the engine to rev, as well as tear things up.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.