Coolant Replacement?

5 replies to this topic
  • Zach0509

Posted November 03, 2005 - 02:14 PM

Bike - WR450F '05

At a recent trip to the sand dunes, I got stuck down in a bowl, and had to really "rod" my bike to get it out... after I got out, I shut my bike down and noticed that my coolant was boiling inside my radiator. Does boiling your coolant break it down, or make it less effective? There were no apparent signs of damage to the engine, and it started and ran fine since then, but I thought I would see if anyone knows about boiling your coolant.

Also, what are the most basic, (cheap) ways to get more power out of my bike? New Pipe? Jetting? better airfilter?

The bike is new and I haven't modified anything yet.

• clark4131

Posted November 03, 2005 - 02:35 PM

In stock form, your bike runs like a strangled chicken. Do the "free mods" and it'll be like having a new bike. Do a search for it and you'll see what's involved...SC

• ARin

Posted November 03, 2005 - 04:12 PM

your coolant is fine. your bike is fine...albeit choked for power. do the free mods...there is about 100% more power just waiting for you to unleash it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WGP

Posted November 04, 2005 - 09:00 AM

You may want to flush your system, its super easy and added insurance that your bike will run as cool as possible. I'm running Engine Ice and it seems to work great, haven't boiled over once even letting it idle for long time periods. Check your manual for the procedure.
I think for most power, do all the free mods ofcourse and not cheap but an aftermarket pipe should take it up a notch.

• kevin1209

Posted November 05, 2005 - 05:58 PM

I had problems with boil overs with my 98 wr400, 'til ncmountainman recommended Evans NPGr waterless coolant. http://www.evanscool...m/news/npgR.htm
It's a little spendy, but I haven't lost a drop since I started using it.

• SPDFRK450

Posted November 06, 2005 - 06:22 AM

I'm running Engine Ice and it seems to work great, haven't boiled over once even letting it idle for long time periods.

Same here. I boiled over my coolant a couple times getting out of sticky situations. Everybody recommended the Engine ice, saying that it made the bike run about 50 degs cooler. I havent had a problem since. The only problem is its kind of expensive, but what isnt in this hobby. When it comes to your baby get the best.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.