Arrowhead, CA Ride

7 replies to this topic
  • ChrisG

Posted August 24, 2001 - 07:11 AM

I am taking my new WR up to Arrowhead on Saturday 9/1 with a buddy on an XR400 to scout out the area for the enduro on 9/16. Anybody interested in joining us? I believe the general location is the "pinacles". Is anyone familiar with this area?

• sirhk

Posted August 24, 2001 - 09:04 PM

I may be interested in meeting you guys up there. Give me the time and details and I'll check into the likely hood of making it. I've been up in that area twice now. I've ridden through the pinnicles staging area but don't know how to actually get there.

Ron in SoCal knows the area like the back of his hand. If you have questions about the area get in touch with him.

"What's that?"
"It's a Yellow 99' YZ400!!"

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted August 24, 2001 - 12:30 PM

Nice area to ride, but watch out for other riders. Too many people on narrow trails with blind corners = head on collisions.

Directions to the Pinacles from Orange County:
215 (91) north to the Mountain Resorts Turn-Off (30)
30 to the 18 (Waterman)
18 to the Arrowhead Turn-Off (173)
Stay on the 173. It gets confusing at Arrowhead Villige, but just stay to the right and follow signs to the North Shore.
Go past the lake on the 173 and keep going past the gun range until the road turns to dirt. Just after it turns to dirt make a right of the first small road you come to. Go a few hundred feet and your there.

• ChrisG

Posted August 24, 2001 - 08:51 PM

We plan on leaving Palmdale at about 6 am, so we should be there by 8 am. We will be in a red toyota xcab 4x4. If you want to meet us, do you have a place to meet?

Thanks for the info. Ron. We will be on the lookout.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ChrisG

Posted August 24, 2001 - 08:54 PM

If we are coming from Palmdale, it is closer to go up the back way by Silverwoods lake? For the race on 9/16 we will have a trailer. Suggestions on which way we should take the trailer? Thanks.

• Ron_in_SoCal

Posted August 25, 2001 - 09:05 PM

Hi Chris.

I did not think about where you might be coming from, I just assumed it as Orange County. Duh. No two ways about it, a trailer is going to suck. If it's a big trailer than I would suggest the long way (as described earlier).

If it's a normal MC trailer than you can take the 138 past Silverwood Lake, but stay on the 138 to the 18, then take the 18/Arrowhead turnoff. The 138 to the 173 "back way" turns into a dirt road and is scary in my pickup. It is a lot shorter & faster, but its steep and twisty with nasty obstacles for a street pickup truck. Not good for a MC trailer.

Enjoy the ride!

• hodaphile

Posted August 26, 2001 - 11:50 AM

Has anyone ever done the Checkpoint Enduro from Pinnacles before? The first time I entered was the year the area burned and they haven't run it there since.

Pinnacles is not a big area so I'm guessing it fills up quick. Where do you stage on how strict are rangers about riding along the access roads on a green sticker bike??

aka Rich
1996 300 EXC
(dual sported)
1987 Suzuki LT250R
(Glamis chrome beast)

• ChrisG

Posted August 26, 2001 - 01:11 PM

I haven't ridden this one before (Checkpoint), but I understand there is a 300 participant and a 99 db limit. Also, either a red or green sticker will suffice ( I haven't been able to find an entry form yet though). Pre-entry is by 9/10.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.