Taming the YZ450 Beast????

33 replies to this topic
  • ehooft1247

Posted November 03, 2005 - 10:54 AM

I am a new rider...I bought a 04 yz450f last summer. I usually ride trails and do ok. Recently I went to an indoor Mx short track and caked it 3 times mostly because of too much throttle at inapropriate times. Can someone tell me an easy way to slow down the yz450 and make the throttle more forgiving, at least until my skill and confidence improves? Would A sprocket change or different throttle control help? Thanks!

• grayracer513

Posted November 03, 2005 - 11:12 AM

Get yourself a Dr.D 6 or 8oz Flywheel You can go with the heavier unit until you're more familiar with the bike, then swap it back for a lighter one later if you want. DRD will charge only for shipping on such an exchange.

Most people are happier with the early 450's with a 5 or 6 ounce (welded ring) heavier flywheel.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted November 03, 2005 - 01:39 PM

A heavier flywheel will definitely soften the hit and make it more controllable.

I reccomend Dr. D, as you can switch out weights for free.

• halen16

Posted November 03, 2005 - 01:59 PM

dont buy anything, just keep riding you will get better,,,you bought a badA$$ first bike!
:banghead:

• TimFurryBalls

Posted November 03, 2005 - 02:05 PM

Dr. D flywheel, gear her down one tooth, and pull that plug in your carb. . . at least that's what we used to do our '03's to soften the hit. . .

• Ga426owner

Posted November 03, 2005 - 03:25 PM

Get yourself a Dr.D 6 or 8oz Flywheel You can go with the heavier unit until you're more familiar with the bike, then swap it back for a lighter one later if you want. DRD will charge only for shipping on such an exchange.

Most people are happier with the early 450's with a 5 or 6 ounce (welded ring) heavier flywheel.

or even a 12oz in your case

• ehooft1247

Posted November 03, 2005 - 04:38 PM

Hey, thanks everyone for the advice. I am going to give the track another shot before I mod the flywheel. Mostly because my friends and I are going in a few days. If I survive, and need to change I will definitely go with the Dr. D flywheel. I love me some body armour!

Respectfully,

Eric

• 3rdcoast

Posted November 03, 2005 - 07:18 PM

I got the '03 450 as a first bike and now i love it but it took a few years. I softened the suspension, put a trailtech flywheel and got a more forward bar position. Now i'm thinking this thing is a dream and the tractor factor on H/S is a nice feature.

e

• JetPilotAlabama

Posted November 03, 2005 - 07:28 PM

I am in the same boat you are. I just bought and YZ450F and got hurt before I could tame her. I have ordered the Yamha Heavy fly wheel $98.00 and will have my old one when I get used to all the power she has. I am also adding a Large tanks and full skid plate for the trail.

• Kritter

Posted November 06, 2005 - 10:12 AM

Dr. D flywheel, gear her down one tooth, and pull that plug in your carb. . . at least that's what we used to do our '03's to soften the hit. . .

What plug in the carb is Tim referring to?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • racerxj17

Posted November 06, 2005 - 10:43 AM

TPS sensor plug

• Kritter

Posted November 06, 2005 - 12:00 PM

TPS sensor plug

What does unplugging it do?

Im trying to tame this bike for a buddy who doesnt need all the power it has...ive already had him order a 10+ flywheel...

• ksrrider

Posted November 06, 2005 - 10:28 PM

I am a new rider...I bought a 04 yz450f last summer. I usually ride trails and do ok. Recently I went to an indoor Mx short track and caked it 3 times mostly because of too much throttle at inapropriate times. Can someone tell me an easy way to slow down the yz450 and make the throttle more forgiving, at least until my skill and confidence improves? Would A sprocket change or different throttle control help? Thanks!

Buy a G2ergonomics throttle cam system and install a 10oz or 12oz flywheel weight. Check out G2ergo.com, this product really works.

• DPW

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:30 PM

TPS=Throttle Position Sensor...if you disconnect it, which is on the left side of the carb it will supposedly soften the hit. Do a search plenty of info in this forum on it.

• grayracer513

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:39 PM

In doing the search, you will find that disconnecting theTPS is a mod done primarily to 426's, not 450's. Go with the Dr.D 8oz, and if you still want less juice, buy a WR450 exhaust cam.

• DPW

Posted November 07, 2005 - 04:43 PM

In doing the search, you will find that disconnecting theTPS is a mod done primarily to 426's, not 450's.

hmmm are you sure???

http://www.thumperta...4&highlight=tps

• JohnB

Posted November 08, 2005 - 03:26 PM

ksrrider

Buy a G2ergonomics throttle cam system and install a 10oz or 12oz flywheel weight. Check out G2ergo.com, this product really works.

Tell me more about the G2ergo throttle. Do you own one?

• grayracer513

Posted November 08, 2005 - 03:49 PM

hmmm are you sure???

http://www.thumperta...4&highlight=tps

No, not anymore. :applause: Senior moment.

I still don't recommend it.

• flintlock28

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:15 PM

As a 41 year old who returned to the sport after a 18 year layoff from Dirt Bikes.....
I say keep the bike as it is, and simply ride more, preferably open meadows, wide trails, etc. before hitting the tracks (especially smaller tracks). I purchased a 2004 Yz 450f, and I thought it was an animal also; I simply learned to manage the throttle more effectively, and learned to "grow" with the bike. At first in the woods I would stall it 5 or 6 times a day within a three hour riding window. Now it's an extreme rarity, and I'm in love with the "hit" and torque....in fact I'm thinking of going with a J/D jetting kit and a Boyesen Quickshot to possibly improve it's lower RPM snap. If you really feel intimidated, than by all means add the flywheel weight, etc. but for me, I think saddle time was the best cure.
Don

• DPW

Posted November 08, 2005 - 04:34 PM

No, not anymore. :applause: Senior moment.

I still don't recommend it.

Me either...

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.