Steering damper Q's

33 replies to this topic
  • thumpasaurus

Posted November 02, 2005 - 08:58 AM

I don't race but still trail ride pretty hard, lately w/ a bunch of newer KTM exc's. I'm looking for any advantage I can get to stay w/ the pack, and thinking of putting a steering damper on my '00 650R if I can without breaking the bank.

It'll either be the Scotts or GPR, whichever I can get a deal on. From searching old posts, It sounds like the GPR should be less, but when pricing on the websites, the GPR looks like $100 more.
Scotts bolt on $429
GPR v1.0 $525
GPR v2.0 $575

I have a feeling I can do better on price than this, but where?

I have the stock top clamp w/ fat bar adapter and KTM 1 1/8 tapered bar. Anybody know if I'll be able to keep this setup? Also where's the best place to buy, or at least get these questions answered.

• Shawn_Mc

Posted November 02, 2005 - 03:50 PM

I dont know about your adapter, but Id be really surprised if you found a stabilizer for cheaper than what youve posted.

And, if I was choosing between the Scotts/Ohlins or the GPR/WER type, Id go with the Scotts.

Ohlins patented the ideal type of damping method. I guess the GPR works fine, but it works the exact opposite of the Scotts.

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 02, 2005 - 05:38 PM

I've read a lot about the two and it sounds pretty evenly split. Although I have read a few converts from Scotts to GPR, but not the other way around but sounds mostly due to customer service, not damper performance. I'm sure either would suit me.

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 02, 2005 - 06:10 PM

500 bucks? now way is that worth it. you could resleeve, major bore and stroke (around 750 cc's) and put a cam in it for 500 bucks.....that would be much more worth wile.....of if u dont havea new pipe, get one.

• jim1234

Posted November 02, 2005 - 06:23 PM

A steering damper is one of the best performance gains you can bolt on the bike. When you hit the whoops at speed it really makes the bike work better. You can ride alot faster for a longer period. A big bore is useless if you can hold it on. I've used GPR and Scotts, and I prefer the Scotts.

• hill5150

Posted November 02, 2005 - 06:24 PM

Scott's................. :banghead:

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 02, 2005 - 07:41 PM

500 bucks? now way is that worth it. you could resleeve, major bore and stroke (around 750 cc's) and put a cam in it for 500 bucks.....that would be much more worth wile.....of if u dont havea new pipe, get one.

I live in Va and ride in the woods. Roots, rocks, ruts. I already have more power than I can handle, I seriously can't imagine wanting more motor in a dirtbike. My friends think I'm insane for riding it the way it is. Greater stability while crossing rocky stream beds and making rutted rooty hillclimbs however would be sweet.. I'm convinced a steering damper is what I need. I am choking on the $500+ though.

• irondude

Posted November 02, 2005 - 07:57 PM

i have scotts and V2 GPR...i like em both. V3 sure look cool.

go for under the bars mount--and make sure its a front mount and not rear--so you can get to your oil fill.

BRP is a good place to look for all that stuff...but if ya want to roost the KTM's its just better to get a Husqvarna 510...

$500 for a stabilizer system is a good deal.

• BWB63

Posted November 02, 2005 - 07:59 PM

It's sad that even though I have yamahawr450f on the ignore list I have to still see his stupid quotes. Just to sleeve, piston and the gaskets is more then $500, with no labor but, at his age he would know that. Oh, wait I left out the crank and bearings that would be another $500! Is this going to be balanced? But, I am sure you wouldn't do a valve job while you are there or want a better carburetor to go with all that "more power" at $400. Coming from a real pro-like yamahawr450f I should just shut up, all those years of........ :banghead: :banghead:

The steering stabilizer/dampener is way worth the money for the tight stuff your riding through. No more jerking the bars out of your hands when you hit those roots and ruts. We use it more for the whoop, rocks out here but, ruts, and roots are here also. Just not like out there where you can see nothing but trees.

http://xr650r.borynack.com/

• ODSC1

Posted November 02, 2005 - 10:05 PM

I'm also interested in a damper for my BRP. And like others I'm trying to decide between the Scotts and GPR. My question is; Is the Scotts damper a set it once and forget it unit? I don't see any indicators on the unit to monitor settings. The GPR damper on the other hand, with it's 8 position knob, looks like it can and should be adjusted multiple times during a ride to suit conditions.

Brian
Ontario Dual Sport Club

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • hill5150

Posted November 02, 2005 - 11:12 PM

Buy a quad.... :lol: :busted: :busted: :banghead: :banghead: And do your homework.....all of it.

• XRL_Rider

Posted November 02, 2005 - 11:31 PM

• Heavy_G

Posted November 02, 2005 - 11:38 PM

Here's my GPR "Under bar" I like it 'cause its also "Under The Pad"
http://www.thumperta...ewmod&mid=13764

• Kritter

Posted November 03, 2005 - 07:07 AM

Scotts....set it and forget it. No load back to zero gets you going straight after a nasty swap...

Hi speed circuit saves you again and again..

There's a reason its gold and a reason they are snooty...its the best.

• oldturtle

Posted November 03, 2005 - 08:42 AM

I have only used Scotts and I am big fan. They have all mounting parts so switching damper from bike to bike is quick and easy. If it works for Johnny C. it is good enough for me. Johnny and Steve once spent a couple hours BSing with me and my buds at a Beatty, Nevada motel. They were pre running for LV-Reno and we were playing from Ridgecrest to Beatty. Much of conversation was on how well these guys like Scotts, Precision Concepts, and of course the BRP.

• Supplicate

Posted November 03, 2005 - 09:03 AM

Scotts....set it and forget it.

:banghead:

exactly. The only time I ever change my settings is turning the low speed knob down when I'm just rolling it around the shop so its a tad easier to move the bars from lock to lock.

I will never own another bike that doesn't have a damper of some sort or another on it after feeling the change on my BRP between nothing and having the scotts mounted. Two completely different monsters.

• texsurfer

Posted November 04, 2005 - 07:46 AM

don't mean to rub it in but i just sold a Scotts Damper, triple clamp, and forward mount post setup for $375 to a yahoo group member this week.

• hill5150

Posted November 04, 2005 - 08:05 AM

don't mean to rub it in but i just sold a Scotts Damper, triple clamp, and forward mount post setup for $375 to a yahoo group member this week.

You got ripped off. :banghead:

• Toolmaker

Posted November 04, 2005 - 11:10 AM

How about a fork brace ? that would help plant the front wheel better on rocks and ruts and they only run 100.00 or so.

• BWB63

Posted November 04, 2005 - 02:26 PM

The major advantage to the fork brace is that it stop most of the twisting flex of the forks making them about 70% of what inverted forks are (in the twisting department) but, they will still flex back (Inverted forks don't) The flexing of stock fork help stop fatigue some. The twisting can be a pain in slow stuff where you want the front tire to go where you point it. (Like out of a rut) You won't notice it much but, if your bouncing through rocks or going down a real tight ridge with ruts (and don't want to go off the ridge) the fork brace will help the tire stay where you point it. I have put it to the test and it works for that but, for straight out flying along and big turns you won't notice it. I have tried three braces, Scott's, The one that is sold on ebay for $70 and the SuperBrace. I like the SuperBrace Far better then the other two. You don't have to trim the fender as much and it's a two piece that holds better and is made to be use with fork boots.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.