I want to trail ride my 99 YZ 400 - to snatchy

4 replies to this topic
  • srhines67

Posted November 01, 2005 - 11:30 PM

I love this bike. But, when I ride with my kids (slower) it is a lot of work riding along at an even speed. My YZ wants to wind not cruize. I also put a quiet core insert in my e series pipe to make it park friendly and my pipe ran hot and melted a hold in my rear brake res. Is there any way to make a YZ more trail friendly. I have already added 10oz of flywheel weight and changed the gearing a little. This helped but it still won't cruize at all. I need a little cruize capability. Any ideas or is it time to give up my nimble machine and get a WR.

Thanks.

• srhines67

Posted November 02, 2005 - 08:23 AM

I am at 13/52 with a 10 oz weight. How much weight and what exhaust are you running?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Fastest1

Posted November 02, 2005 - 06:26 PM

Go for a Rekluse clutch and forget the worries! If you havent tried the 450 exhaust cam it will help with tractability considerably.

• PumpkinHumper

Posted November 03, 2005 - 09:53 AM

I also put a quiet core insert in my e series pipe to make it park friendly and my pipe ran hot and melted a hold in my rear brake res.

The melted resivor is just the norm for the yamaha's. The bloody resivor is too close to the exhaust and melts over time. They all do it. Check out your friends bikes. The back side of the resuvor will be bowed out towards the exhaust.

• srhines67

Posted November 03, 2005 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the info. The pipe probably runs a little hotter with the silencer anyways. I'm not sure what the limit is though. It makes me wonder if the pipe is too hot and if it will hurt the motor.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.