Motocross with WR450

18 replies to this topic
  • monkeynutz450

Posted November 01, 2005 - 11:22 PM

Has anyone converted their WR450 to handle a more MX type of riding? Can a 05, Wr450 handle the abuse if the suspension is tuned in to handle it? I am thinking of removing the light and rear fender? Any opinions is appreciated.

• ARin

Posted November 01, 2005 - 11:44 PM

remember, the wr's are set up just like the race bikes...aside from the gearing, and a bunch of extra weight in the form of a battery/starter motor, etc.

yes the bike can handle it, with proper suspension setup....but the extra weight and the wide ratio gearing does not make it IDEAL for mx.

• mousemeat

Posted November 02, 2005 - 03:02 AM

I am about 185lbs and the stock suspension is ok for natural terrain MX with modest jumps and a low ability level. If you eat too many sandwiches or want to hit big doubles, then you will want to play with the suspension.

• Matty05

Posted November 02, 2005 - 03:04 AM

The WR is too heavy to be competative but it can certainly handle the abuse of MX.

A few people including me have ditched the rear fender and gone with a YZ one.

• Punisher660

Posted November 02, 2005 - 08:41 AM

whats the purpose of ditching the rear fender? Does it really wigh that much more? Also, are there kits available that let you remove the starter? I assume there would be a void left that needs covering.

Can the weight be trimmed down to YZ specs if you go to the yz tank/seat, numberplate, get rid of the odometer, starter, battery, and rear fender? Short of the tranny difference, wouldn't it be pretty much the same a a YZ at this point?

• Just034

Posted November 02, 2005 - 01:03 PM

In a non competitive practice type atmosphere it works great. My brother in law is a 90% motocross guy so when I go to So. Cal and all the good offroad places are too far away we go to the track and the WR does great. I mean it is 90% rider anyway. I hold my own on the track but can see how the lighter quicker (not faster but quicker) YZ450 he has would help me cut a couple seconds. But when you are riding for fun it works just fine. You may want to move your compression clickers in some, but I don't bomb really big jumps anyway.

• Triumphs

Posted November 02, 2005 - 01:12 PM

Has anyone converted their WR450 to handle a more MX type of riding?

Yep...just after I finish my YZ-80 Baja bike project! :banghead:

• Matty05

Posted November 02, 2005 - 03:32 PM

whats the purpose of ditching the rear fender? Does it really wigh that much more?

Purely cosmetic for me! I got a trick LED tail light extention from Acerbis to hang my plate off. It sure looks sweet!

You can save a bit of weight by taking out the steel rails and plastic crap underneath the standard fender. You can save a bit more by removing the coolant bottle as well.

• chipwich

Posted November 02, 2005 - 03:35 PM

I take mine playing on MX tracks all the time. Like mousemeat says natural terrain tacks or ones with tabletop jumps are best. Not competitive with real MX bikes, but a hell of a lot of fun.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TwoBobRob

Posted November 02, 2005 - 03:40 PM

Ditto. I'm a little on the heavy side (200lb) and I like to have a crack at most jumps so the biggest drawback for me is the suspension. Casing doubles is not fun :banghead:

I'm seriously considering having mine reworked, but other than that, good fun! :banghead:

• monkeynutz450

Posted November 02, 2005 - 05:40 PM

Thanks guys I really appreciate your input.

• Joe Reitman

Posted November 03, 2005 - 07:36 PM

RIde my WR on MX and SX tracks regularly. Loads of fun. :banghead: But I only weigh 170, and am very light on the pegs, front wheel down land the down ramp kind of jumper... There are some jumps I do easily on my KX that I won't attempt on the WR, due to the soft suspension and extra weight, But I have been pleased at how well that soft supension works. :banghead:

• bkej

Posted November 04, 2005 - 06:08 PM

I have an 05 wr 450 and I weigh approx 200lbs. My front forks bottomed badly off drop off jumps. I had some work done on the suspension. The mech at the dealer said that the wr forks are no where near the same inside as the yz forks. After the first trip to dealer it still bottomed just not as bad. i took it back in and he said they don't make anything stiffer than a .48 front spring for the wr's forks. He revalved it again and added more fork oil. I'm going to try it out tomorrow. Does anyone have any suggestions for the front forks????

• monkeynutz450

Posted November 04, 2005 - 09:11 PM

Factory Connection carries a .50 Fork Springs for the WR450...

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 04, 2005 - 11:23 PM

I ride MX with mine all the time, not the best choice for track riding but she does just fine. At the TT track day at I5MX I pulled the holeshot in the race we had.. 2nd gear off the start is key.. :banghead:

• alfa

Posted November 30, 2005 - 04:41 PM

Mine gets around a track nicely. There are some jumps that I know it is not worth trying because the suspension will not hold up to the abuse. It does it some big jumps, but don't come up short. I think the spring rate is correct, but the valving is what creates the stiffness or lack thereof.

• bandit99

Posted December 02, 2005 - 12:11 PM

I'm a bigger guy (240) and like to do some motocross on the 05 WR450. I put Race Tech springs on the front forks and rear shock. If you go to there website you can order them direct. You can put in your weight and riding style and they will suggest the right spring for you. I put them in myself (Not too difficult). I can say I am pretty happy with the results. I do more trail than motocross so I went for a motocross setting as opposed to a supercross. On the larger jumps it can be a little harsh but I shouldn't be jumping that far anyways...ha!

• bg10459

Posted December 02, 2005 - 02:32 PM

Can the weight be trimmed down to YZ specs if you go to the yz tank/seat, numberplate, get rid of the odometer, starter, battery, and rear fender? Short of the tranny difference, wouldn't it be pretty much the same a a YZ at this point?

No. The YZ has less flywheel weight, which makes it quicker revving. The carb is different in that it does not have an air bypass, which affects the pilot air jet, but I'm not sure if there is a performance difference. I think the cams are different. Not sure what else.

• Joe Reitman

Posted December 02, 2005 - 02:33 PM

Already put on YZ silencer. Last night put on new top triple clamp for big bars, removed light, speedo and kickstand. Rear fender and front # plate next. :applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.