05 WR450 to a YZ

11 replies to this topic
  • cgrlvr35

Posted November 01, 2005 - 07:37 PM

Hey all. I want to get rid of my headlight and number plate and go to a YZ front plate. Will a YZ front plate work? Im also in the process of putting on a zip-ty fuel screw and the Boyesen quickshot. What is the easiest way to set that up. I tried over the weekend. No go. Maybe Im intimidated or maybe its all the crap in the way. Any thoughts. Anyone near Portland that would help and I can assist and learn.

Also, Im not sure if my steering stem is bent. No hard crashes. I look at my top clamp and visually look at it straight. From the from my front will is pointed to the right. One advice was bang the wheel against a tree or wall. Any suggestions. Speed wobbles at high speed. Thanks.

• cgrlvr35

Posted November 05, 2005 - 10:08 AM

ok this is great

• ample

Posted November 05, 2005 - 12:50 PM

I do know the YZ front plate will work, if you also remove the odometer. I'm not sure about the rest of the mods.

I'd prolly loosen up the triples and make sure everything is aligned properly....

• SJMC_DON

Posted November 05, 2005 - 03:27 PM

Hey all. I want to get rid of my headlight and number plate and go to a YZ front plate. Will a YZ front plate work? Im also in the process of putting on a zip-ty fuel screw and the Boyesen quickshot. What is the easiest way to set that up. I tried over the weekend. No go. Maybe Im intimidated or maybe its all the crap in the way. Any thoughts. Anyone near Portland that would help and I can assist and learn.

Also, Im not sure if my steering stem is bent. No hard crashes. I look at my top clamp and visually look at it straight. From the from my front will is pointed to the right. One advice was bang the wheel against a tree or wall. Any suggestions. Speed wobbles at high speed. Thanks.

I put a YZ number plate and rear fender on my 450, I removed the ODO and used my GYTR bark buster mount to mount my ignition button on. It will work and looks great! Good luck :banghead:

• clark4131

Posted November 05, 2005 - 05:16 PM

I put a YZ plate on my WR as well. I wanted to keep the odometer, so I fabbed up some angle brackets from some aluminum bar stock. I punched three holes in the front of the plate and used the mounting points for the stock WR headlight/number plate. I used the OEM bolts and inserts and it looks stock...SC

• CISCO

Posted November 05, 2005 - 09:35 PM

Loosen the fork pinch bolts, axle nut and axle pinch bolts. Hold the wheel between knees and alighn bars with wheel. Tighten fork pinch bolts, axle nut and pinch bolts.

YZ rear fender bolts right on as well. If you yank the battery and Estart crap a YZ airbox will fit too...more airflow helps that motor ALOT. Thought Id toss that out there. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • jballs21

Posted January 25, 2006 - 09:24 AM

how about on an 06 the speedo is much larger and I am having a pisser of a time relogating it???any ideas???

• twenty34

Posted January 25, 2006 - 06:55 PM

I have an 06 WR as well. Did you successfully remove the headlight and install a number plate? Will a standard 06 YZ number plate work? Also, did you remove anything else??

Lastly, let me know what success you have in relocating the speedo. Is is possible to leave on with a YZ numberplate? Also, pics would be cool!!! :thumbsup:

Thanks!

how about on an 06 the speedo is much larger and I am having a pisser of a time relogating it???any ideas???

• TWILES

Posted January 27, 2006 - 11:36 AM

Does the aftermarket WR number plates not allow you to keep the odometer? You can get the aftermarket fender that works around the coolant bottle.
Look in Parts Unlimited. I think its around $50 for both. I don't remember what brand.

• dbailey223

Posted January 27, 2006 - 01:50 PM

To get the fuel screw in, loosen the front and rear clamps on the carb, take off the rear carb rubber boot, then the carb will slide to the rear and out of the front carb boot. You can then rotate the carb to get access to the bottom of it to replace the fuel screw.

• twenty34

Posted February 07, 2006 - 02:14 PM

do you have any pics of this setup and what you did to remove all the WR components so the YZ plate works? I want to do this as well, but was hoping to see what it looks like beforehand. :thumbsup:
:thumbsup:

I put a YZ plate on my WR as well. I wanted to keep the odometer, so I fabbed up some angle brackets from some aluminum bar stock. I punched three holes in the front of the plate and used the mounting points for the stock WR headlight/number plate. I used the OEM bolts and inserts and it looks stock...SC

• treecop

Posted February 08, 2006 - 01:33 AM

Does your bike have an oversized bar?
If not, you may want a new top clamp for adjustability.

I am not sure why you want to lose the headlight, but get rid of the odometer and put a trail tech on the bars instead. It has many modes and is easy to install.

http://www.trailtech...rcycle_home.htm

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.