C'mon !!!

8 replies to this topic
  • REBELEX

Posted November 01, 2005 - 07:10 PM

I have just purchased an OBEJP needle for my 2000 YZ426, thinking it would cost me $20 at the most..... It set me back $40 ! I really hope the gains are worth that money :banghead:

Hey also my mate reckons i should drill my airbox for better flow, should I drill through the hard exterior cover or should i take it off then drill some holes? would 2-3 50mm or 1" be good start? I have a twin-air filter in place so would it be worth it ?
If I do go along with it it would prob run more lean so could adjusting the needle height fix it or should i get a bigger main, i ride between 300-900ft

• Pincushion

Posted November 01, 2005 - 08:10 PM

I think I paid about $10 for mine. I could've bought it and shipped it to you for $20.
BTW, it was worth it.

• damien_666

Posted November 02, 2005 - 02:16 AM

C'MON good stuff :banghead:

• sirthumpalot

Posted November 02, 2005 - 04:02 AM

I would not drill the air box personally, unless you don't ride in the dirt often and the water never. Let us know how it runs!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted November 02, 2005 - 07:50 AM

Don't drill the air box. As mentioned, it will defeat part of its functionality, which is to keep mud, water, and as much dirt as possible away from the air filter.

It will only improve performance if the air box offers a significant obstruction to the flow of air entering the engine. A WR box does, because of the top cover and snorkel, but a YZ doesn't. If you want to do some sensible modifications to it, make it more like the '03 and later air box as shown HERE. It makes changing filters much less of a challenge without compromising protection. Remove the air box to do the work.

• REBELEX

Posted November 02, 2005 - 05:59 PM

First ride :
after 1 month of fidling round, not starting the bike it fired up 1st kick
(he-he YZ reliability !) with the new obejp needle in place (3rd clip from top). From a rolling start to WOT the power seemed to be smoother and less abrupt. Kinda mellow off the bottom, has a strong midrange and signs off a little at the top. No backfiring or anything being lean, but a little rich maybe ???
There wasn't any sign of a flat spot throughout. I will need to test it on a track though to get a better indication on the changes.

I had the obekq needle in place before and it had a big flat spot off the bottom but then hit like a NOS bottle all way through. I could wheelie all the way though the gears under power, but with the new needle it doesnt come up after 3rd.

I think it will make the bike easier to ride faster, longer and not wear me out as fast when racing enduro's.

Also yeah i disconnected the TPS as i have read it smoothes out the hit, so i will rehook it then go for another spin and see the power changes.

This was only a very short ride, up and back due to the area i live in, but i will give some better feed-back soon when i hit the track.

I like the idea of trimming the sides of the air box 2, thanks for the feed-back as now i wont drill the box, as i ridin some pretty dusty conditions down here :banghead:

• Fastest1

Posted November 02, 2005 - 06:30 PM

Try raising the needle 1 more groove and see if it helps against that early sign off. It should still lift the front in every gear (easily and I weigh 250)

• Hick

Posted November 02, 2005 - 07:34 PM

I had the obekq needle in place before and it had a big flat spot off the bottom but then hit like a NOS bottle all way through. I could wheelie all the way though the gears under power, but with the new needle it doesnt come up after 3rd.

FYI you are now 1/2 clip (J vs. K) richer in addition to being 2 sizes richer on the straight (P vs. Q), which is why the '00 has such a bad bog off the pilot.

Just in case you didn't already know that....
:banghead:

• Pincushion

Posted November 03, 2005 - 08:26 AM

with the new obejp needle in place (3rd clip from top). From a rolling start to WOT the power seemed to be smoother and less abrupt.

Good write-up. I had the same feelings when I swapped the needle too. Less abrupt and smoother power delivery. I wasn't too sure I like it at first, but the first long ride into the mountains made me a believer.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.