XR 650L or DR 400S

11 replies to this topic
  • dwb0804

Posted November 01, 2005 - 03:57 PM

HI all
I am going to soon be in the market for a DS bike, i had a xr600 a few years ago and sold it due to not having time to ride. i am trying to decide between the xr and the dr. I will be doing probly 70/30 On/Off. I am 6 3' 220lb.

Most of the off road i did with my other bike was just ridding around my parents farm, nothing hard core I know this is a honda forum but even the guy at my local honda dealership said the dr would be better off road. Basicaly what will the XR not due that the DR would?

THX -will

• BWB63

Posted November 01, 2005 - 04:38 PM

The DRZ400s has more going for it in suspension. It's water cooled and about the same horse power with less weight. Doesn't have as much torque as the XR650L. The DRZ400s can be made to be a DRZ400e without to much. (Base gasket, cam and carburetor) and then you will be putting out 40hp to the rear wheel. A few other changes to a DRZ400s like the metal gas tank to a plastic and a header/ muffler change and you will have a better off road bike. If you can get the DRZ400e plated in your state don't even bother with the "s"

• husky123

Posted November 01, 2005 - 05:21 PM

I'd get the XRL because it's a Honda.

• Mountain Road Madness

Posted November 01, 2005 - 05:50 PM

The XR650L is bullet proof. It has a better resale value as well. I guess you can tell Im a diehard Honda person. My wife rides a DR650 and it fits her well due to seat height. Seat height wouldnt be an issue for you thought. Id get the Honda.

• justicedone

Posted November 01, 2005 - 05:56 PM

The Honda is better on the street than Suzy, and you said %70 street, as well as your size and riding style add up to a nice modded L.

BEST BIKE IN THE WORLD !!!!

word...

• thumpasaurus

Posted November 01, 2005 - 06:12 PM

IMO, the only advantage the XRL has over the DRZ is the seat. Otherwise it's DRZ all the way. It has a 10 year (or more) technology advantage over the XRL.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted November 01, 2005 - 06:46 PM

IMO, the only advantage the XRL has over the DRZ is the seat. Otherwise it's DRZ all the way. It has a 10 year (or more) technology advantage over the XRL.

Which, in and of itself, is something to seriously consider. 10 yrs of technology is a lot. If you follow all the specs, the hype, the reviews, your buddies' input....you get...other people's opinions.

I was in the market for an addition to the stable; a new steed. Sell my trusty 250R and replace it with:

XR650R?
XR650L?
DRZ400x?
WR450?
KTM(take all my money and then some)?
?

Thank you, Lord, for the ability to have such choices in life, but did you have to make is so....sooo....so difficult? :banghead:

I am 6'3"/220, and can have a blast on my 250R on the trails. I chose the aged, outdated, un-exhalted, dinosaur 650L. If I want tight single track, I'll keep/ride the 250R.

My God, man, it's 10 years out of the limelight! Why the 'L'?

Why?

Fun. FUN. F-U-N.

It ain't the last bike you'll buy. Get the one that you will have the most fun on, and screw what anyone else has to say about this-or-that about your choice. By all means, take outside input. But make sure you end up with what _you_ really want.

Good luck. See you on the trails, whatever you decide.

:banghead:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 01, 2005 - 07:10 PM

The DRZ400s has more going for it in suspension. It's water cooled and about the same horse power with less weight. Doesn't have as much torque as the XR650L. The DRZ400s can be made to be a DRZ400e without to much. (Base gasket, cam and carburetor) and then you will be putting out 40hp to the rear wheel. A few other changes to a DRZ400s like the metal gas tank to a plastic and a header/ muffler change and you will have a better off road bike. If you can get the DRZ400e plated in your state don't even bother with the "s"

my cuz just got a drz400e about a month ago and i must say, i hate it! the thing has no low end grunt. i can crawl up almost any hill on my pig, just first gear 3500 rpm's.......the drz just cant do it. peak horse power is still quite a bit lower.....but im not sure what engine mods i have.....he has the same yoshimura pipe. the drz is better for extreme offroading but for what he described, the pig would be better. there is just no substitute for that low end torque and high end hp.

XR650L!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :lol:

• wr450fyamaha

Posted November 01, 2005 - 07:12 PM

Which, in and of itself, is something to seriously consider. 10 yrs of technology is a lot. If you follow all the specs, the hype, the reviews, your buddies' input....you get...other people's opinions.

I was in the market for an addition to the stable; a new steed. Sell my trusty 250R and replace it with:

XR650R?
XR650L?
DRZ400x?
WR450?
KTM(take all my money and then some)?
?

Thank you, Lord, for the ability to have such choices in life, but did you have to make is so....sooo....so difficult? :banghead:

I am 6'3"/220, and can have a blast on my 250R on the trails. I chose the aged, outdated, un-exhalted, dinosaur 650L. If I want tight single track, I'll keep/ride the 250R.

My God, man, it's 10 years out of the limelight! Why the 'L'?

Why?

Fun. FUN. F-U-N.

It ain't the last bike you'll buy. Get the one that you will have the most fun on, and screw what anyone else has to say about this-or-that about your choice. By all means, take outside input. But make sure you end up with what _you_ really want.

Good luck. See you on the trails, whatever you decide.

:banghead:

exactly, the xrl has been around for 10 years......double what any race four stroke has been here for. you just cant beat a bullet proof beast!

• ghoti

Posted November 02, 2005 - 05:51 AM

HI all
I am going to soon be in the market for a DS bike, i had a xr600 a few years ago and sold it due to not having time to ride. i am trying to decide between the xr and the dr. I will be doing probly 70/30 On/Off. I am 6 3' 220lb.

Most of the off road i did with my other bike was just ridding around my parents farm, nothing hard core I know this is a honda forum but even the guy at my local honda dealership said the dr would be better off road. Basicaly what will the XR not due that the DR would?

THX -will

The DRZ will not do anything the XRL will. The DRZ, (modded), will be better offroad, the XRL will be better onroad and pretty close offroad with some mods. I've put 14,000 miles on a 04 XRL, just replacing tires. Old technology maybe, but rock solid. Shares many parts with your old XR600. Airheads rock, but not rule.

• goblin127

Posted November 02, 2005 - 06:06 AM

given your size,and what you plan on rideing 30/70 the XRL is a no brainer.

• tamibird

Posted November 18, 2005 - 07:29 PM

i wanted to plate a xr650r but was told(by dmv) it will be impossible to plate in Vermont. i bought a 05 drz400s instead, and absolutely love it! i am not saying it is or isn't better than the xr but it has been a great bike. i have put on 4000 miles since may and haven't had one problem. 80% street 20% dirt. i am 6' & 230lbs. just my 2cents. :applause:

Related Content

Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.