Do I really need the coolant overflow tank?

18 replies to this topic
  • 6fiddy

Posted November 01, 2005 - 06:42 AM

I have yet to overheat my 2002 wr426. I live in Florida where it gets freakin HOT. Im talking hot molten magma hot and i have yet to overheat my wr. My buddie has a yz426 and he dosnt even have the overflow tank on his bike. It dosnt overheat either. So I snipped the overflow hose and routed it down with the other overflow hoses from the carb and removed the overflow tank all together. Has anyone else done this and are you sorry you did? Any feedback will be useful. I am trying to lower the center of gravity on this top-heavy musclebike. I also went to a Clarke YZ 3.2 gallon tank that hangs a little lower as well to lower thr C.O.G. I hope I dont screw things up! :banghead:

• walent215

Posted November 01, 2005 - 07:28 AM

i dont own a wr but ive always wondered why people didnt do what youve done .imo its a smart move.the only time i would say you would need it would be in really tight slow trails.good choice imo.

• Frostbite

Posted November 01, 2005 - 08:07 AM

I live in the Arctic and my bike boils over at -30. It seems that the major factor is airflow through the rads, as long as you’re moving you’re fine. I do a lot of tight, technical riding and get stuck once in a while and that’s when it cooks. If you’re not boiling over then removing the overflow shouldn’t be an issue.
Keep an eye on your coolant. It’s easy to check the level by looking at the overflow tank but you’ll have to pop the rad cap now.

• postalrider

Posted November 01, 2005 - 02:04 PM

cut your over flow hose so that it drips on your exhaust .this will give you a early warning if ol blue is about to puke!

• byggd

Posted November 01, 2005 - 02:26 PM

The tank was added to the WR to make it friendly to the environment. :banghead: Don't let the tree huggers see you dumping antifreeze on the ground :banghead:

• TallBoysWRF

Posted November 01, 2005 - 03:58 PM

The tank was added to the WR to make it friendly to the environment. :banghead: Don't let the tree huggers see you dumping antifreeze on the ground :lol:

:busted: good point. :banghead:

• 6fiddy

Posted November 02, 2005 - 06:16 AM

The tank was added to the WR to make it friendly to the environment. :banghead: Don't let the tree huggers see you dumping antifreeze on the ground :lol:

I never would, that stuff kills animals cause it tastes sweet to them. I do my own work in :banghead: my garage where everything is captured. Thanks for your concern. You never can be TOO careful.

• byggd

Posted November 02, 2005 - 07:24 AM

I never would, that stuff kills animals cause it tastes sweet to them. I do my own work in :banghead: my garage where everything is captured. Thanks for your concern. You never can be TOO careful.

Well without the tank, if your bike over heats, you decide :banghead:

• Chas_M

Posted November 02, 2005 - 10:03 AM

Removing the tank is not a good idea. What's wrong with a little insurance against overheating?? The tank is much more than an overflow tank. The coolant recovery reservoir provides for a more efficient cooling system, in that you are taking advantage of the total volume of coolant (filled to the top). Another plus is that to check coolant level, all that is required is to glance at the reservoir like in your cars and trucks. I remember what a 'pain in the ass' it was before the advent of coolant recovery systems in cars. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ISBB

Posted November 02, 2005 - 01:49 PM

I ride wide open in the dunes... very little tight single track stuff if any at all... i just pulled my coolant tank off last week and rode all last weekend w/ no ill effects or any leaking coolant...

• ogrebelle

Posted November 03, 2005 - 12:48 PM

Pull it! I pulled mine years ago (2000 WR-400) with no problems in all types of hard riding. Just check your fluid levels before every ride. If you notice any problems then put it back on, it's that easy. If you do have problems you might want to look into your state of tune and other maintenance issues. BTW, keep all the stuff and put it back on before you sell the bike.
Doug

• flatnacker

Posted November 03, 2005 - 01:45 PM

Cant see why it should be a problem?? Its not a problem with the yz??

• Matty05

Posted November 03, 2005 - 07:49 PM

It is if you ride it like a WR!

My mates loose a fair bit of fluid on their YZ's on our long rides.

• 6fiddy

Posted November 04, 2005 - 01:20 PM

Hello, me here, the guy who started this thread in the 1st place. I had to put the tank back on due to the tight trail riding at Croom thursday, wide open, NO PROBLEM, tight stuff with some idleling, PROBLEM!! My buddies YZ426 was pissing as well. I guess I should probably stop screwing around with this bike. Ive modded it out as much as I can without gettin a Big Bore Kit and a race cam. I dont race, I just beat them up hard as I can you know? :banghead:

• byggd

Posted November 04, 2005 - 02:45 PM

Hello, me here, the guy who started this thread in the 1st place. I had to put the tank back on due to the tight trail riding at Croom thursday, wide open, NO PROBLEM, tight stuff with some idleling, PROBLEM!! My buddies YZ426 was pissing as well. I guess I should probably stop screwing around with this bike. Ive modded it out as much as I can without gettin a Big Bore Kit and a race cam. I dont race, I just beat them up hard as I can you know? :banghead:

As the saying goes.....if it aint broke don't fix it :banghead:

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted November 04, 2005 - 11:20 PM

I keep mine on, it just doesn't buy you all that much to remove it, how much could it weigh? I'll bet it's around a pound full of coolant.. I don't think I could feel it.. At least it does serve a purpose..

• WRBIGBOY

Posted November 06, 2005 - 06:38 PM

I have a 2005 and removed the bottle and have had my bike spit out antifreeze after a long ride.

• slipnslide

Posted November 07, 2005 - 06:40 AM

Take a look at the coolant Evans sells.
www.evanscooling.com
They have at least 3 coolants that will work in bikes. I have not tried it yet but they claim it does not expand when it gets hot (unless it get's extremely hot) so it should not overflow. Also, they claim it keeps the motor cooler and it is not as harmful to animals/children. If you try it, let us know how it works. I plan to try it eventually. By the way, I think the NPG+ coolant is the same stuff Zip Ty sells for twice the price! :banghead:

• byggd

Posted November 07, 2005 - 06:51 AM

Indy and NC mountainman man both use evans and swear by it so I'm sure they will chime in soon :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.