yz400f on race gas

17 replies to this topic
  • allthrillzz400f

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:57 PM

i was just wandering if anyone is running race gas in their bikes, if so what r u running and what is it like in power and in price? :banghead: :banghead:

• fast426

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:08 PM

i was just wandering if anyone is running race gas in their bikes, if so what r u running and what is it like in power and in price? :banghead: :banghead:

Unless your engine is modified you won't feel any difference in running race fuel.

• speddie3

Posted November 01, 2005 - 08:13 AM

I run 60/40 race gas/91octaine and I would say I notice a difference in the bike. Took me a while to get it running right, but I like it an am gonna contunue to use it. And when I say difference I mean I just like the way it runs, its stronger and has more grunt in my book. I buy the 101 octaine stuff from Gas City for like 5$$ a gallon. It also smells awsome!!!! do a search, I know this has come up a few times before.

• Matt96xr6

Posted November 01, 2005 - 08:48 AM

Race gas burns much cleaner and thus keeps your plug and engine very clean. There is not the additives that there is in the pump gas.

If you want to notice a difference in power, get the gas that is oxygenated. The U4 or old name of Ultimate 4 stuff comes to mind. We have the local MNOP place has 100 octane with 4% oxygen which is similar. Anyways the oxygenated fuel in the dyno on a stock 450 gave 4hp more.

• DigilubeJay

Posted November 01, 2005 - 10:07 AM

No race gas is going to give you substantial gains without properly tuning the machine to the fuel and the atmosperic conditions.

Unless you plan on modfying the engine and tuning it to top performance, stick with pump swill. The Yamaha thumpers work just fine on it.

• grayracer513

Posted November 01, 2005 - 11:14 AM

Using U4, or an equivalent, will give you 1-3 (maybe more) HP over pump gas IF you jet for it. However, as easy this "modification" is, it costs $8-10/gallon, and will continue to cost that much for as long as you use it.

OTOH, a set of cams, a good exhaust sytem, and correctly jetting for the combination on pump fuel will give you that much, and will cost money only once. So a pipe and cams would be something like $850, which is the price of roughly 18 cans of race gas. Just another way to look at it.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 01, 2005 - 11:51 AM

Using U4, or an equivalent, will give you 1-3 (maybe more) HP over pump gas IF you jet for it. However, as easy this "modification" is, it costs $8-10/gallon, and will continue to cost that much for as long as you use it.

OTOH, a set of cams, a good exhaust sytem, and correctly jetting for the combination on pump fuel will give you that much, and will cost money only once. So a pipe and cams would be something like $850, which is the price of roughly 18 cans of race gas. Just another way to look at it.

Grey thanks for the most honest realistic answer yet....I use VPU4 exclusively in my 450 and it does add power but it does cost.....some jetting tweaks are better (I use JD Jetting kit)but it will run ok with stock jetting. The octane is not higher so carb seals are not adversely affected - BUT you must drain all out of carb after each ride - it will cause vapor build up in the carb if left for extended periods of time

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted November 01, 2005 - 02:14 PM

Anyways the oxygenated fuel in the dyno on a stock 450 gave 4hp more.

I'd like to see some proof.

• 642MX

Posted November 01, 2005 - 05:09 PM

I've been running race fuel for a while now. I ran it with the bike completely stock and still use it today. My fuel of choice is Citgo 110 leaded. A simple turn of the fuel screw was all my bike needed to carborate correctly. The bike starts easier, burns cleaner and definitely has more power from idle all the way to the rev-limiter. I never drain my carb after rides, and I have never had the fuel eat any seals from the carb. I have never compared dyno charts with the Citgo fuel, but I bet I gain close to 1 horsepower. The Citgo in southern Indiana costs $4.74 a gallon (not too bad considering pump fuel prices).

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ga426owner

Posted November 01, 2005 - 06:14 PM

I'd like to see some proof.

then go buy some U4 and try it - you will never want pump gas again

• ISBB

Posted November 01, 2005 - 06:55 PM

50/50 for me.. only thing i get out of it is a nice crisp throttle response.. :banghead: i dont see any power gains other than the throttle response..

• Fastest1

Posted November 02, 2005 - 06:38 PM

I wasnt too impressed with the VP/ultimate 4 over the 110 leaded I was running and it ate the oring in my petcock! The 110 never damaged anything. The power is not as important as consistency and crispness is.

• ONLY4STROKES

Posted November 03, 2005 - 01:44 PM

then go buy some U4 and try it - you will never want pump gas again

Well that depends, how much horsepower does it give on a 250F? The same?

• Ga426owner

Posted November 03, 2005 - 01:56 PM

50/50 for me.. only thing i get out of it is a nice crisp throttle response.. :banghead: i dont see any power gains other than the throttle response..

It is ruined if diluted......

• Ga426owner

Posted November 03, 2005 - 01:58 PM

I wasnt too impressed with the VP/ultimate 4 over the 110 leaded I was running and it ate the oring in my petcock! The 110 never damaged anything. The power is not as important as consistency and crispness is.

Sorry U4 does not eat rubber. I have been using it since it came out 2.5yrs....your 110 however will eat rubber and carb seals.....proven over and over with C112

• Ga426owner

Posted November 03, 2005 - 02:00 PM

Well that depends, how much horsepower does it give on a 250F? The same?

Listen I am not trying to sell you all on this ... it works for me and that is all I care about....
On the 250 the HP increase is the close to the same....

• Fastest1

Posted November 03, 2005 - 05:30 PM

Sorry U4 does not eat rubber. I have been using it since it came out 2.5yrs....your 110 however will eat rubber and carb seals.....proven over and over with C112

All I know is I ran 110 for a couple of years with no problem, ran Ultimate for less than 2 months and the seal on my petcock started leaking. Could be only coincidence but I will be going back to the 110 if only for the ease. :banghead: I always turn the gas off and run the engine til it dies so the carb soaking in either fuel is a non issue.

• Ga426owner

Posted November 04, 2005 - 07:04 AM

All I know is I ran 110 for a couple of years with no problem, ran Ultimate for less than 2 months and the seal on my petcock started leaking. Could be only coincidence but I will be going back to the 110 if only for the ease. :banghead: I always turn the gas off and run the engine til it dies so the carb soaking in either fuel is a non issue.

buy yourself some more orings - your gonna need them... :banghead:

Related Content

Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.