2006 WR450f Review

19 replies to this topic
  • MOHAWK

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:44 PM

First test that I've seen for the 06 WR450...Enjoy!

2006 WR450f Test

• HighPlainsWR

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:11 PM

Nice review indeed. But they left out what would happen if you cut-the-gray and the stop, JD kited the carb with a Power Now, Ported and Polished the heads with YZ Cams and flowed it through a Power Filter and an FMF Q. I put a Revloc in mine and its a 50+ hp freakin minibike. WRs are way too cool. :banghead:

• bcs

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:43 PM

Makes me want one even more.

Does anyone else have the same issues with the e-start?? I know my DRZ fires off so fast that I hardly hear the starter. I'm surprised the author of that review had to crank it for so long.

• Dan_Lorenze

Posted October 31, 2005 - 09:44 PM

The article stated:

"With Honda's CRF450X sporting the aluminum frame of its moto-siblings, we were hoping for Yamaha to follow suit with the introduction of their own aluminum frame for 2006. While the YZ-Fs will be on the cutting edge of aluminum innovation in their new models, the WRs are still behind the times. With any luck, the trickle-down effect will take place by '07, but for now the WRs will have to wait.

Though we're bummed that Yamaha will force us to wait for a future aluminum frame, the '06 comes with some nice componentry."

Funny, KTMs get nothing but glowing reviews for their steel frames yet since the "Yamaha" doesn't have it yet, he's bummed... The Honda has an aluminum frame and is still heavier...

• clark4131

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:07 PM

Does anyone else have the same issues with the e-start??

Not here. My '05 fires up without a problem every time, unless I crash and flood the thing. It sounds like they really hadn't done the free mods or had the thing jetted properly. Even so, it still got a fairly good review...SC

• baha

Posted November 01, 2005 - 10:40 AM

I am in the process of the 20 hour check, I am installing the JD blue at the 3rd position as well as the 170 main jet, I am also putting on the boysen pump cover, Maybe after these changes the starter will be worth it's wieght, as of now-no! I kick it 90% of the time!!!! I also have the yz stop already on it- the dealer stated they do this in the set-up. I am also placing a Big Gun slip on and dealing with the Air box.. I won't be able to check out the results until next week. Then lets see if the starter works better- Low end feels a little muddy stock. Once I have all of this sorted I will cut the gray wire and deal with the gearing.

I do notice the stall with rear brakes- I also need to adjust the levers height. Wish me luck,, the hooneymoon is over and I see it in a much more objective manner. I need to do all the fine tunning but so far NO REGRETS!!!!!!!!!

Mohawk-thanks for posting the review :banghead:

• hotrunnin-05wr450

Posted November 01, 2005 - 11:10 AM

DAM, i want one of those trick computers the 06 came with, why didnt they think of that last year, anybody have n-e clues on how to get my hands on one? what do u think yammy would charge for one of those?..should i just get a trail tech instead?

• bcs

Posted November 01, 2005 - 04:08 PM

Go to oem.thumpertalk.com and see if they have the fiche up yet for the 2006 fo-fiddy. I'm sure you will be able to buy all the parts and if you go with one of the online sellers you can save some significant bucks off the list price. I don't know any dealers that will do that.

But recently I flashed my AMA membership card to the gent at the parts counter at Hahm Motorsports and they gave me 10% off. :banghead:

• GasBoySun

Posted November 01, 2005 - 04:39 PM

I Just bought a 06 and I like it, it's a little sluggish. I hope the free mods will help. I a little nervous about doing the mods. but I'm going to try it any way

• chipwich

Posted November 01, 2005 - 09:50 PM

GasBoySun just the throttle stop mod will do wonders. Do this ASAP, if nothing else and it will begin to feel like a 450. Then you can play with the others, including proper jetting for the altitude where you ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • baha

Posted November 04, 2005 - 09:16 PM

Now with the carb set up- I have yet to use the kick start :banghead:

IT RIPS NOW!!!! Still have not gut the gray wire yet.

• bomax

Posted November 05, 2005 - 07:59 AM

exactly,i'd rather have a lighter bike,however they achieve it :banghead:

The Honda has an aluminum frame and is still heavier...

• bomax

Posted November 05, 2005 - 08:01 AM

our canadaian dealers,automatically pull out the snorkel,put the yzf needle in it and richen the pliot up.its part of the pdi.yamaha supplies the parts in the kit new with the manual.

mine starts everytime and its stock oter then what they did.

if i open the airbox up should i up the main?

• minion

Posted November 05, 2005 - 09:00 AM

I am in the process of the 20 hour check, I am installing the JD blue at the 3rd position as well as the 170 main jet, I am also putting on the boysen pump cover, Maybe after these changes the starter will be worth it's wieght, as of now-no! I kick it 90% of the time!!!! I also have the yz stop already on it- the dealer stated they do this in the set-up. I am also placing a Big Gun slip on and dealing with the Air box.. I won't be able to check out the results until next week. Then lets see if the starter works better- Low end feels a little muddy stock. Once I have all of this sorted I will cut the gray wire and deal with the gearing.

I do notice the stall with rear brakes- I also need to adjust the levers height. Wish me luck,, the hooneymoon is over and I see it in a much more objective manner. I need to do all the fine tunning but so far NO REGRETS!!!!!!!!!

Mohawk-thanks for posting the review :banghead:

Jetting made my wr450's e-start worth its while. I had the same problem you do with the e-start in stock form. It doesn't like to start up if its cold outside (its 60F now, so I'd have to kick it), but once its warm, the e-start always works within 1-2 seconds for me.

Besides rejetting (and I mean rejetting! : needle, main, pilot, paj, leak, the whole shebang), I also opened up my airbox, removed the AIS, cut the grey wire, throttle stop.... The only thing I didn't do that everyone says to do is replace the exhaust. Its fast enough for me like it is. I like the quietness of it too. When I ride with my 2 smoke buddies, they have to kill their engines so I can hear them yell. I don't want to make my wr that freakin' loud.

M.

• minion

Posted November 05, 2005 - 09:03 AM

DAM, i want one of those trick computers the 06 came with, why didnt they think of that last year, anybody have n-e clues on how to get my hands on one? what do u think yammy would charge for one of those?..should i just get a trail tech instead?

I like my trailtech quite a bit. I do have two downsides though: It requires a battery, and isn't lit up. It lights up, when you push a button though. If it got its power from the bike, rather than a battery, they could make it stay lit up all of the time.

The new Trailtech they are coming out with looks really sweet. I have the Enduro model. I'm not sure when the new one is coming, but it looks like it might be using bike power this time around.

M.

• baha

Posted November 05, 2005 - 10:27 AM

Minon- Thanks for the input. What gain do I get by removing the AIS; it runs well now with it. Out in california I am sure that Mr Ranger Sir is on to this and really do not want to give him/her any extra grief by my mere presence. Do you really gain a noted amount in the low to mid range??

• Beejay

Posted November 05, 2005 - 11:47 AM

I've found that two or three twists of the throttle before starting with the e-button helps.
But then again I've not even run mine in yet, so am no expert on them, just got an 06 model......so guys if you don't mind...I'll be asking a lot of stupid questions soon ;-)

• baha

Posted November 05, 2005 - 01:31 PM

Beejay
Look in your manual to see what you have stock, There are european models as well. Hint-You don't want a US model and that is what most of these problems are about. I have just done alot of the work on mine and it is greatly improved. Africa is a big place, Check the Jetting Threads at the start of this section and match up what Indy has posted to your locale weather

Must be great trails in Africa :banghead:

• dman450f

Posted November 05, 2005 - 02:37 PM

you must remember,the test is done on an unmodded bike,not even close to the real thing.... :banghead:

• minion

Posted November 05, 2005 - 10:06 PM

Minon- Thanks for the input. What gain do I get by removing the AIS; it runs well now with it. Out in california I am sure that Mr Ranger Sir is on to this and really do not want to give him/her any extra grief by my mere presence. Do you really gain a noted amount in the low to mid range??

It gets rid of popping on deceleration. You might want to search the forums for it. I believe that is all it is used for though.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.