burning my foot !!!

12 replies to this topic
  • purple-haze

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:41 PM

recently sold my 2 stroke , gave up on dualsporting my '05 wr and took it to the harescramble.all I have done is the throttle stop and gyr pipe . after about 2 laps my foot was burnt . my boots were melting it was that hot. the yamalube was new and the bike runs great otherwise. I was an a class rider 4 years and thirty-five pounds ago , now I just want to ride , but there is something wrong. any advise would be greatly appreciated.
PH

• ARin

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:16 PM

if you got rid of the throttle stop without disconnecting the grey wire, your timing isnt being mapped for full throttle. (Possibly the cause of the hot running engine??)

Also, if you put a pipe on, your engine will now be running lean. rejet.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:14 PM

Your probaly running lean. Do some research on Jetting.

• minion

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:21 PM

recently sold my 2 stroke , gave up on dualsporting my '05 wr and took it to the harescramble.all I have done is the throttle stop and gyr pipe . after about 2 laps my foot was burnt . my boots were melting it was that hot. the yamalube was new and the bike runs great otherwise. I was an a class rider 4 years and thirty-five pounds ago , now I just want to ride , but there is something wrong. any advise would be greatly appreciated.
PH

From the factory the bike is extremely lean. If you're riding at 8500ft ASL, its like spot on for jetting. Other than that (I'm at 800) its wayyyy to lean. Putting on an aftermarket pipe further makes it even more lean. I'd reject that thing ASAP before you do permanent damage to the motor.

• minion

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:27 PM

PH

BTW: I've dualsported mine, and it wasn't all that envolved:

http://www.madsquirr...ke/IMG_1276.JPG

The other links are dead, but here's the thread, including the parts list I used for everything:

http://www.thumperta...79&parentpage=3

• purple-haze

Posted November 01, 2005 - 04:17 AM

just curious , how did you get a tag . the lovely state of NC pretty much said no way..

PH

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • motocross10113

Posted November 01, 2005 - 06:09 PM

were did u get your dual sport kit? i like how yours is set up what all did u do deatails plz

• purple-haze

Posted November 06, 2005 - 05:18 PM

Ok . the bike is jetted right on . put new clutches in , changed the oil . coolant level still fine and unchanged . Third into woods , 1 hour finally take over lead . boot is melting , clutches are fried. I am mad!!! I'm about to sell this piece and go back to 2-stroke. this is ridiculous . I don't even know what to look at . I even tried going richer on my jetting this week, but it is too rich then , plus my coolant is not boiling over . but the clutch cover is "HOT" . any ideas what to look at next. Even took my IMS tank off , thought it would increase air flow . NOTE : my tank started to melt at the last race , but my fuel lines never leaked or swelled.

PH

• Matty05

Posted November 06, 2005 - 06:15 PM

What brand and weight oil are you using???
You might have to go to a 15w50.

You don't have to change gears or use the clutch that much on a 4 banger.
Use the torque curve.

If you can melt your tank, you are lean. What needle and jets are you using???

• purple-haze

Posted November 06, 2005 - 06:27 PM

oil , yamalube 4r.
jets 180 main , 48 pilot , 4 down on the clip bike runs and acts exactly as you would hope otherwise. I just can't understand it .I don't ride that hard!! It has to be something off the wall. I even had my Friend off of the kawi truck look at my jetting . It is right . I left a message on his machine about this . he called me back and said to check the inner basket and the pressore plate. anyone have any trouble with them ? He's never seen anything like this , but doesn't see allot of big 4strokes.
ph

• Matty05

Posted November 06, 2005 - 08:17 PM

A lot of us run 5th clip, but shouldn't be a problem.
I can't see anything wrong, 180 main maybe rich if anything.

My right boot gets hot when I ride tight trail, as you put your foot down near the front wheel. I don't have a heat shield on my exhaust as I am running a Procircuit system. I have never melted my boots though.

I am guessing it is your riding style.

• StreetbikePimp

Posted November 06, 2005 - 08:33 PM

Are you riding the bike like a 2-stroke??? Slipping you clutch alot?? I only use my clutch in the really, really tight trees, and then it's only a 1 finger pull.

Your clutch plate will get hot. Too hot to touch with you bare hand, but it shouldn't melt you boot.

Your jetting definitly isn't the problem. The 180 main might even be too rich.

• ARin

Posted November 06, 2005 - 09:06 PM

Jeeze guys, i ride in Nevada...sometimes it is 100+ degrees...i never burnt my boot.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.