KLX300 vs. KDX220 ~ Good woods bike?

Wolfchild, I'd look at a KDX200/220 over the KLX300. While I think the KLX would be better as a dual sport type bike, the KDX is quicker out of the hole and like others have said, there's endless hop ups for this bike. They aren't as hot as a KTM 200 EXC stock but with some work, they'll run hard.

The new KDX200 is around $4100 brand new so try to look for a left over. You'll have way more fun on one of these than you do right now on that tank.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

W/C, get the KDX220, I know, I bought a new one in 2001. Greatest 2 stroke woods bike around for the money. KLX300 is a dog compared and hard starting. KDX220 will start using your hand, easily. Good low end power, weight is about 223lbs. Tough bike to beat. KTM's are great like Greg said, but much more $$$. Avoid the KDX200, its not designed for the low end grunt like the 220 is. A little tougher to ride in tight trails than the 200, so get the KDX220 only! Had a buddy who had the KLX300, he had to dump the clutch to wheelie. And my KDX220 would stand right up in 1-4th with a blip of the throttle or each shift if I was trying to wheelie.

retail for a KDX200 right now is 4100.....and i got one AND LOVE IT!!! cheap, light, get ya through anything.... :banghead:

They had a few new leftover 04's kdx200's here they were selling for $3400.

Like I said before, there are some new leftovers 2005 KDX220's around the country, even 04's , the trick is finding them close enough to drive to get, having them shipped well the price goes up

I have a KDX 220, awesome woods bike. I'm 5'10 165 lbs and it's got tons of power. I added the FMF Gnarly pipe and Powercore II... this added alot more grunt! I recently rode my uncles KTM 250 EXC. My KDX blows it away powerwise. It's got twice the snap than his KTM. His suspension is better than mine for woods riding but I still prefer the KDX. It's also pretty much maintenance free. Just put gas/oil in it, lube the tranny/chain, keep the air filter clean and go. It's a blast to ride. Check out the following forum for KDX FAQs.

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/forumdisplay.php?f=6

I've heard that too. but power isnt the issue so much. The trails here (most of em any way) are so tight you rarely get outta 2nd-3rd gear anyway. to give you a better idea. the perfect bike here would have a 250CC four stroke crammed into a CR/YX/KX/RM 80 frame, bars cut down, with a steering stabilizer and, some really good bark busters. :banghead:

service Honda makes one of those...they use the crf250x engine and the 85 frame i believe. i couldn't find it on their website, but DirtRider did an article on it. Just find about $8000 and the bike could be yours!

service Honda makes one of those...they use the crf250x engine and the 85 frame i believe. i couldn't find it on their website, but DirtRider did an article on it. Just find about $8000 and the bike could be yours!

yeah.. I already knew about that. 8Gs is a little steeper than I wanna spend on a woods pinball.

what about two smoke maintenance? I dont wanna be replacing plugs and pistons all the time. thats one reason I love thumpers. zero maitenance...unless it's a CRF :banghead: :banghead:

the kdx is a pretty bulletproof bike....

i would say do the plug every season, or whenever it seems to go. you could always check the plug with feeler guages to see where you are. pistons MAYBE once a season. just do the regular matinence, clean air filters, change oil and the kdx is pretty solid..

Hey wolf,

Have you given any thought to a ktm400 or a 450? I'm kinda in the same boat you are, half assed single track at best. (could it be because of our machines?) I do know that the 450's have WAY more power and are significantly lighter. As far as that goes I think the ktm 400 is supposed to have alot more power than the drz and lighter.

I don't know about you but after bouncing and lugging that drz thrue the woods trying to play catch up all day... my body feels like its gonna explode. I want to get something that will let me keep up or even pass some guys on the wider trails. Perhaps I wouldn't be as far behind on a lighter, more maneuverable bike. Keep us informed. let me know if do any test rides. :banghead:

I owned a kdx220 and a kdx200 at the same time. The 200 I had set up with a rev pipe, the 220 had an FMF torque pipe on it.

For any kind of tight work the 220 is a better machine, and comes with an O-ring chain - the 200 didn't

Both come with an undersprung front fork - for your weight you will need an upgrade - call fredette racing. (the rear is sprung for about a 180 lb rider, the front is set up for a 140 lb rider) wierd.

Unless you go submersible toss the air box top - more bottom and rev.

The suspension is just OK for rough stuff and suffers at speed (the whole shebang is flexy) I found that racetech's gold valves really improved the fork action. I am also 5'10" and 165 lb, and I felt it was a little tight ergo-wise but tolerable.

One real drawback is low peg height - in rocks and roots you've got to keep on your toes.

Bulletproof is an understatement. I rode and raced KDX's for about 12 years and never had a failure. You can't go wrong with a KDX.