Heat Shield for Big Tube header?

7 replies to this topic
  • TREADMARKS

Posted October 31, 2005 - 09:05 AM

My big tube header does not have a heat shield nor does it have studs or bosses to mount one.

Does anyone know of a clamp on shield or guard that might fit? :banghead:

• roadcam

Posted October 31, 2005 - 01:07 PM

your Harley aftermarket catalogs usually carry a clamp-on heatshield ... will probably be chrome, but Krylon flat-black works wonders ... check out CustomChrome.com or DragSpecialties.com, either should have what ya want :banghead:

• TREADMARKS

Posted November 01, 2005 - 08:37 AM

your Harley aftermarket catalogs usually carry a clamp-on heatshield ... will probably be chrome, but Krylon flat-black works wonders ... check out CustomChrome.com or DragSpecialties.com, either should have what ya want :banghead:

Thanks RC.

That would work for the single part of the tube, but I would like a cover that also reaches farther forward into the "Y" portion of the pipe.

I have seen them on other board members bikes, I just can't seem to find them now. :banghead:

• bootman

Posted November 03, 2005 - 09:34 PM

Buy some heat wrap tape-15' x 2" will do the whole head pipe with some extra left over. Google "heat wrap tape"

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bootman

Posted November 03, 2005 - 09:37 PM

Try this link

http://www.heatshiel...xhaust_wrap.php

• Dave102429

Posted November 04, 2005 - 08:27 AM

When I had my BigGun header, I kept burning my pants on it. I was going to TIG weld on a couple threaded bosses and transfer the heat shield from the stock header to the new header. But when the BigGun silencer vibrated apart, I took off the whole system, installed my stock header, and installed a Pro Circuit silencer. Thus, I never got around to welding on the threaded bosses. But, that may be your solution.

• TREADMARKS

Posted November 04, 2005 - 09:58 AM

Buy some heat wrap tape-15' x 2" will do the whole head pipe with some extra left over. Google "heat wrap tape"

Actually, I do have the heat wrap installed on the header, all the way up to the cylinders and back to the muffler clamp. While it did help a little with the heat, it is still uncomfortably hot anywhere around the headpipe. the motor is not overheating and tends to get to about 220-240 when in traffic.

I like Dave's plan to weld on stud bosses for a heat shield, but would prefer to use a heavy duty stainless heat shield that also covers most of the pipe on the side of the bike forward of the footpeg. The heat blowing off the pipe, is pretty hot in slow Miami traffic.

Man that tape makes the pipe smell like cat piss when it gets wet.

• kellismechanic

Posted November 11, 2005 - 07:22 PM

I'v got a 96 600R with a Big Gun, no shield, Bonzai Brothers makes a nice clamp on shield, I had to cut it a little shorter, but it works fine, my pants don't burn any more. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.