Z start and stalling problem

27 replies to this topic
  • AUS_WR450

Posted October 31, 2005 - 05:50 PM

6 or 5 TC balls for the WR or 3 TC balls for the YZ with added flywheel weight are best for heavy flywheel engines. You can opt for the standard all steel ball set up but it engages very harshly and is harder on the tranny. :banghead:

Yeah, I understand what they are for and how they work, but are they meant to come as part of the standard kit for the WR450, or do you need to purchase them as an extra?

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:43 PM

As far as I know they were extra when I got mine a year ago. Just ask for them they are about $5.00 a ball. :banghead: I heard that in the last year that on new WR kits they are providing some TC Balls due to the development and testing of many TT riders like NCMountainman have tried set ups with 10,6,5, and 3 TC balls on a WR450.

• SXP

Posted October 31, 2005 - 09:21 PM

Yeah, I understand what they are for and how they work, but are they meant to come as part of the standard kit for the WR450, or do you need to purchase them as an extra?

They were part of my kit - not an extra.

• AUS_WR450

Posted October 31, 2005 - 09:29 PM

They were part of my kit - not an extra.

Please can you advise me of your kit #, if you still have the box. It's on the white sticker on the outside. I'm guessing it is an RMS178 kit for the WR400.

I have sent an email to Rekluse to confirm if there should have been some in my kit.

Nigel

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • oldbones

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:07 PM

I know for the 426, there was no TC balls, nor were there supposed to be. Only the 450's need them, the setup is a little different.

• WR450_in_Turkey

Posted October 31, 2005 - 11:40 PM

Thanks for all the input. I will check out the pressure plate for wear just to see if I have managed to screw it up. The kit I got did not have the 5 or 6 heavier balls with it so maybe I should get some sent out here (nightmare!!). The revision number on the install guide is 3.00 if that makes a difference. If the pressure plate is ok then I will give the stronger spring a go.
Cheers!

• byggd

Posted November 01, 2005 - 04:49 AM

I know for the 426, there was no TC balls, nor were there supposed to be. Only the 450's need them, the setup is a little different.

This is good to know as I didn't get any in my 426 kit either and have no plans to add them. The thing works perfectly :banghead:

• youngwerth

Posted November 01, 2005 - 08:01 PM

WR_450 in Turkey,

You want to check the backside of your top plate. You should see nothing but smooth grooves. If you see a dimple (a small circular depression) then we will warranty the necessary parts.

Let me know what you find, PM me as well to make sure you get a speedy response.

TC balls give more hookup at low-rpms. They also tend to make engagement a little more abrupt. On WR-450 models I do not recommend TC balls although some people prefer them. If you ride a YZ-450 off-road I recommed 5 TC balls for an 03 or 04 and 3 TC balls for an 05. YZs have taller gearing and increased mid-range torque. The 05 requires fewer TC balls because of a taller primary ratio.

If you have a heavily modified motor, you will also want to run TC balls. A WR-490 will likely need 5 TC balls.

TC balls do not come with the Yamaha 450 clutch.

Thanks.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.