Z start and stalling problem

27 replies to this topic
  • WR450_in_Turkey

Posted October 31, 2005 - 02:27 AM

I am having a stalling problem with my Rekluse Z start clutch. It seems to occur when the engine is under heavy load at lower rpm. The clutch does not disengage properly and the engine stalls. I have checked the installation clearances and tried altering the spring tension in the perch adjuster. The spring tension change does work as expected. Increasing the spring tension increases the rpm at which the clutch engages. The problem is that in tight technical sections at low rpm the clutch does not disengage properly and the engine stalls. Recently I had to walk the bike out of a real nadgery bit and the clutch engaged and disengaged correctly with no stalling so the problem appears to be load related. Playing about on a flat surface where the engine is only lightly loaded does not produce stalling. Has anyone else had this problem? I am using semi synthetic oil and the light spring as described in the instructions.

• HighPlainsWR

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:26 AM

I would expect the clutch engagement principle to be the same for all auto-clutches - centrific force. On my 03 WR I installed a Revloc and had the same issue. I modified the engagement of the clutch to come on at higher RPM and adjusted my idle up. It now takes more revs to engage, but the stalling problem never came back. I miss the instant hit on accel but choosing the right gear for the situation took care of that issue. :banghead:

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:28 AM

I would use the heavy spring combined with a higher idle. Make sure you are using all steel balls. This will minimize the capability of stalling. In nasty rock climbing in first gear at idle speeds a sudden load on the rear wheel can stall the beast due to the reaction time for the Z-start. Higher idle and the stiffer spring will help. Also remember that the Z-start clearances do not compensate for clutch expansion due to heat. So the hotter the motor due to slow crawling the greater the chance for stalling at low speeds due to clearances tightening up. :banghead:

• HighPlainsWR

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:31 AM

Indy..I have seen your post too many times without knowing where that is. Is that picture taken in Canyonlands, UT? It also looks like Airport Tower on the White Rim. Tell me please..... :banghead:

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 31, 2005 - 06:36 AM

You got it. :banghead: That is a shot on the White Rim road looking up at the tower in Canyonlands National Park. I love Moab! I usually go out twice a year for some of the best off road riding in the world! :banghead:

• byggd

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:01 AM

Indy is right. They recommend the lighter spring for trail riding but the heaver one works much better :banghead:

• BigIvyI

Posted October 31, 2005 - 07:38 AM

I've ridden several bikes with the z-start. All the 4-strokes had a stalling problem when blipping the throttle quickly at low rpms to get over a log or something. The gas gas 300 2-stroke I rode didn't have that problem.
Like you said, it felt they didn't disengage fast enough.
I never liked the heavier spring though because it made the z-start hit softer on my bike, even with tungsten balls.

• ncmountainman

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:00 AM

the rekluse is also quite sensative to jetting,too rich and it stalls exactly as you explained :banghead:

• SXP

Posted October 31, 2005 - 08:39 AM

What's the purpose of the Tungsten balls? I noticed five of them packed separately in my kit and no explanation in the instructions as to what they were for or what to do with them. Thanks

• Chas_M

Posted October 31, 2005 - 09:36 AM

The tungsten balls are for fine tuning the Rekluse clutch. Since they are much heavier and denser than steel balls, they help the clutch to engage the clutch earlier and especially to clamp down tighter on the clutch plates to minimize slippage. :banghead:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Indy_WR450

Posted October 31, 2005 - 09:37 AM

the 5 tungsten carbide balls should be evenly spaced in the 30 ball pattern to allow for lower rpm engagement on heavier flywheel engines like the WR. :banghead:

• HighPlainsWR

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:16 AM

Right on Indy ! We are going out to Rabbit Valley on the CO/UT border this weekend (last exit in CO before UT) and ride the Kokapelli trail to Cisco and back. Moab rocks, but it's too crowded. RV is a lot like Poison Spider without the Pedal Heads, Rangers and Tree Huggers.

PS Your posts rock too, great tech insights. :banghead:

• oldbones

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:44 AM

I just went through the same thing (last week). After around 100 hours of abuse, my Rekluse started having the same symptoms. It wasn't disengaging as fast as it had, and I would occasionally stall the bike (which I HATE!).

I called the guys at Rekluse, and they told me a thing or two to check. Viola, found the problem easily, and two days later I had all the parts in hand to make it work like new. Thanks Al, thanks to Rekluse.

20 minutes after the Fedex guy pulled out of my driveway, I followed him out on my WR, and the clutch was working perfectly.

This weekend, I ran the 25 hours of Starvation Ridge, and the clutch worked flawlessly. Lots of super hard acceleration, followed by full on braking. Lots of brakesliding going on. No stalling or slipping. Ah, back to PERFECT!

Thanks again to Rekluse for helping me out in a hurry, and standing behind a great product! You will be near the top of my list when I get a new bike!

• SXP

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:45 AM

the 5 tungsten carbide balls should be evenly spaced in the 30 ball pattern to allow for lower rpm engagement on heavier flywheel engines like the WR. :banghead:

So, I should have had them in from the start? I wish the instructions had been more specific as I have to tear into the clutch again :banghead:
Thanks for the info though:thumbsup:

• ncmountainman

Posted October 31, 2005 - 10:52 AM

I just went through the same thing (last week). After around 100 hours of abuse, my Rekluse started having the same symptoms. It wasn't disengaging as fast as it had, and I would occasionally stall the bike (which I HATE!).

I called the guys at Rekluse, and they told me a thing or two to check. Viola, found the problem easily, and two days later I had all the parts in hand to make it work like new. Thanks Al, thanks to Rekluse.

20 minutes after the Fedex guy pulled out of my driveway, I followed him out on my WR, and the clutch was working perfectly.

This weekend, I ran the 25 hours of Starvation Ridge, and the clutch worked flawlessly. Lots of super hard acceleration, followed by full on braking. Lots of brakesliding going on. No stalling or slipping. Ah, back to PERFECT!

Thanks again to Rekluse for helping me out in a hurry, and standing behind a great product! You will be near the top of my list when I get a new bike!

so what exactly needed replacing?

• oldbones

Posted October 31, 2005 - 11:35 AM

There was a little abnormal wear on the top plate, the one the balls push on when they roll in the grooves of the drive plate. That's all I could see, but Rekluse hooked me up with a new pressure plate, balls, top plate and hardware.

Excellent customer service!

• ncmountainman

Posted October 31, 2005 - 01:36 PM

ya you gotta love al :banghead:

• AUS_WR450

Posted October 31, 2005 - 01:51 PM

I noticed five of them packed separately in my kit and no explanation in the instructions as to what they were for or what to do with them. Thanks

I just bought a Rekluse for my 04 wr450 and I didn't get any TC balls in my kit??

Have I been ripped off? I thought that they are normally an optional extra for the WR.

Nigel

Sydney, OZ

• byggd

Posted October 31, 2005 - 02:12 PM

I just bought a Rekluse for my 04 wr450 and I didn't get any TC balls in my kit??

Have I been ripped off? I thought that they are normally an optional extra for the WR.

Nigel

Sydney, OZ

As far as I know the TC balls are not included in the kit. I asked the guys at Rekluse about them and they said with the type of riding I do I shouldn't need them :banghead:

• Indy_WR450

Posted October 31, 2005 - 02:18 PM

6 or 5 TC balls for the WR or 3 TC balls for the YZ with added flywheel weight are best for heavy flywheel engines. You can opt for the standard all steel ball set up but it engages very harshly and is harder on the tranny. :banghead:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.