one way Starter Clutch and 04 upgrade parts question (PIC)

27 replies to this topic
  • duke2au

Posted November 29, 2005 - 05:22 PM

I know what the grinding noise is....
It turns out that my starter was bad. It spun, but not with enough torque to engage the clutch properly. The caused it to bite and skip sounding like a grinding noise. The problem is that this can be mistakenly diagnosed as a faulty starter clutch. My mistake as I ended up replacing one thinking that it was the problem. I am getting a new starer today at cost price with no labour charges as the dealer was to blame for the mis-diagnosis.
I am ok with that as the starter clutch that was pulled out had considerable wear on it anyway.
Live and learn!!

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:04 PM

If all else fails you may just need a new starter motor. These motors weaken over time and cant pull the rpms or torque that a new spec motor can. :applause:

Thats what I thought! Thanks for letting us know the fix for your problem. :ride:

• duke2au

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:18 PM

no problems, but I did not expect it to create a "chatter" on the starter clutch. Have you heard of that b4?

• BajaFool

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:49 PM

Duke2au,
One thing that I can't determine from your emails. Did the dealer upgrade the 2003 Starter Idler Gear to the 2004 configuration?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • duke2au

Posted November 29, 2005 - 06:55 PM

nope I havent. funny huh.

• bg10459

Posted November 29, 2005 - 07:26 PM

You may not need the 04 upgrade. It has been said that if it hasn't broken the woodruff key yet, it probably won't. And maybe the Aussie bikes didn't have the problem (their shafts had proper taper, proper torque, I don't know). Mine had no problems, but I did the upgrade for peace of mind.

• TARFELE

Posted November 29, 2005 - 08:25 PM

Starting tomorrow at 12:00 noon I will bow and pray to the great INDY. Forgive me for I should second guess his vast knowledge and experience! :applause: :ride: :p :p :lol: :p :p :lol: :p :p ;) :p :p ;) :bonk: :bonk: :mad: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :p :p ;) :mad: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
You are a great help!

• Indy_WR450

Posted November 30, 2005 - 04:57 AM

:lol: :p :p
Thanks!
We do have an excellent data base of knowledge for the Yamaha 4 strokes on this forum! :applause: :ride:
I think TT is the best on the internet! :p :p

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.